BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #89
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
The problem is the journalism, the article writing - it's misleading and lacks facts. All of these magazines are trying to sell a story, "autoblog picks 1M over M3", "335is competes with M3" - I promise you that these articles are written to get attention. To draw people to read, I'm sure the 1M is a great package, I'm sure it represents the M division well. All of these articles promote debates about who is faster, which is the better package. The journalists want to stir it up, they want people to say Holy **** the 1M is better than the M3. I wouldn't be surprised if some magazines fudge track #s for sales purposes.

If you wanted a dual duty track and commuter car, I'd say that the M3 has a bigger trunk, more space, offers a 4-door option, EDC and DCT. But if you wanted to save 15-20k, the 1M makes a great runner-up.
that was my reaction as well when I read the headline - it's a PR stunt. the 1M is close in terms of performance, but it falls just short. and the M3 beats up on it in all the comfort and practicality dimensions. sure, the 1M might have an edge in the subjective and ambiguous "fun factor" that everyone talks about, but I highly doubt that the Autoblog journalists honestly thought that was enough to carry the day for the 1M. Autoblog is just trying to stir the pot to sell magazines, plain and simple.

I'm not dogging on the 1M - it looks like it's a real hoot to drive. I just don't like the proportions of the 1 series, and I would never own one. and all the self-righteous people in this thread saying you should never NOT buy a car because you don't like its looks are full of it. you're telling me that you would buy a Pontiac Aztec if GM could make it drive better than an M3? give me a break. there are so many different things about cars to appreciate, and people value some aspects more or less importantly than others. hence why there's such a diverse array to choose from - people are different. so no disrespect to anyone who would choose the 1M - I'm not trying to convince you otherwise here - but I'll take the screaming 8,400 RPM V8 that eats C63s for breakfast at the track and is nothing but a pleasure on the drive home.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #90
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
that was my reaction as well when I read the headline - it's a PR stunt. the 1M is close in terms of performance, but it falls just short. and the M3 beats up on it in all the comfort and practicality dimensions. sure, the 1M might have an edge in the subjective and ambiguous "fun factor" that everyone talks about, but I highly doubt that the Autoblog journalists honestly thought that was enough to carry the day for the 1M. Autoblog is just trying to stir the pot to sell magazines, plain and simple.

I'm not dogging on the 1M - it looks like it's a real hoot to drive. I just don't like the proportions of the 1 series, and I would never own one. and all the self-righteous people in this thread saying you should never NOT buy a car because you don't like its looks are full of it. you're telling me that you would buy a Pontiac Aztec if GM could make it drive better than an M3? give me a break. there are so many different things about cars to appreciate, and people value some aspects more or less importantly than others. hence why there's such a diverse array to choose from - people are different. so no disrespect to anyone who would choose the 1M - I'm not trying to convince you otherwise here - but I'll take the screaming 8,400 RPM V8 that eats C63s for breakfast at the track and is nothing but a pleasure on the drive home.
Lots of people buy ugly cars that have great performance. Look at the popularity of the WRX. It's gone through some very ugly iterations. The bug-eye was one of the ugliest versions, but they grow on you.

I wouldn't call the new EVO very pretty either.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #91
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Lots of people buy ugly cars that have great performance. Look at the popularity of the WRX. It's gone through some very ugly iterations. The bug-eye was one of the ugliest versions, but they grow on you.

Ouch, ugly is a strong word for the WRX/STI and EVO.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #92
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
All I know is that its a great time to be a car enthusiast. Lets be happy BMW and the rest of the manufactures are still making cars we can enjoy.
      05-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #93
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

good for those people. but, as I said in my post, people are different, and I'm not one of those people.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #94
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
They are not beautiful cars by any means. They are brutish, just like the 1 series.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #95
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Well, UGLY has been thrown around a lot in the discussion of the 1M which IMO is anything but ugly.

Quote:
....I wouldn't call the new EVO very pretty either.
I don't know, I kinda like it. The problem is the interior is pretty much econo-class and the fit/finish including the well known paint issues that the Lancers have had. But for the price, you get a lot of bang for the $$$! AWD, a sweet engine, Recaros, Brembos, etc.

Name:  evoX.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  39.1 KB
      05-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #96
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Autoblog is just trying to stir the pot to sell magazines, plain and simple.
how exactly does a blog website sell magazines again?
      05-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #97
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
You can't be serious...can you

They are trying to get hits on their website, you know where that comes from and why it's important right?

Understand the point before going after the semantics.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #98
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
haha, touche. the point I made still remains, however.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #99
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Yes, plenty

* 911 Turbo
* 911 Turbo S
* 911 Turbo Cabriolet
* 911 Turbo S Cabriolet
* 911 GT2 RS
* Panamera Turbo
* Panamera Turbo S
* Cayenne Turbo
* Cayenne Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Plenty???
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #100
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
haha, touche. the point I made still remains, however.
Your point is best. They're not attempting to stir trouble. That was a giant stretch with absolutely zero data to support it. Journalists' credibility is always at stake.
      05-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #101
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I am acquaited with the author of the Autoblog article. He is a very good journalist and has experiece driving a wide variety of vehicles both on and off the track. Like it or not that was his opinion. You may not agree but to question his motives is silly.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #102
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
I know this is already on the bimmerpost homepage, but I thought this was particularly interesting. Although I have no intention on buying a 1M Coupe (at least not this generation), I've always been a big proponent of it and coming from a 135i, had a feeling a 1 series M car would have the potential to be more fun to drive than the M3. Looks like the guys over at Autoblog feel that's the case:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/13/2...-drive-review/

The only thing that seems off to me is this:

400lbs is a lot of weight. I didn't think there was that big of a difference. Could be wrong?

I know the M3 fanboys will chime in with the witty childish remarks about the 1M, but I think BMW has a winner here. So far the reviews have been very positive.
please what a joke.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:39 PM   #103
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossii View Post
The responses are as expected on this board............BMW produces an "M" car from the parts bin albeit with great reviews from almost every reviewers and M3 owners come with excuses as to why its not as good as an M3.....I have yet to drive the 1M but going off reviews it seems to be closer to the E30 M3 in terms of driving experience than any of the M3's that have come after it. It comes down to what you are looking for simple as that.

+1

A large portion of Bimmerpost posters are badge whores with small penis syndrome.

The 1M is amazing, and should be a dream come true for real track enthusiasts.

That said, the 1 series is ugly imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:55 PM   #104
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
+1
A large portion of Bimmerpost posters are badge whores with small penis syndrome.
I'm not sure this is true in all or even most cases Journalists have the car for a few days, but I would be curious how they feel in 6 months to a year after driving the car every day? I lived with a modded N54 335i for almost 2 years and have to say, the first few months I was impressed. My car was at the same or beyond the 1M power levels and had the M3 suspension pieces. But after a while I was bored.....and after we test drove the M3 that was it. Two years later I still enjoy driving the M3 and I'm not bored at all. To each their own, but the 1M just doesn't excite me, mainly due to the choice of the N54 motor.
The 1M will be a great track car until the oil overheats and the car goes into limp mode or the HPFP goes out

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #105
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

I own a 135i and have a ZCP E92 M3 on order.

I love my 135i, it's a really nimble and fun little car. But when I test drove the M3 it was all she wrote, I had to have one. I'm selling my 135 and my STi and replacing them with my M3.

I bet the 1M is a blast to drive, but I just don't see it being more fun than the M3 overall. It might be more fun on certain tracks, but I spend maybe 4 days a year at best on a track. The other 361 days I'm driving the car around town.

The problem with these debates are that people just regurgitate what magazines say instead of actually having their own opinion based off of actually driving the car in question.

Lap times at tracks you'll never drive shouldnt be the deciding factor on which car you'll buy. Every car I've bought I've fallen in love with on the test drive. One mile in the STi and I was sold. Took the 135 out and bought it that day. I test drove the M3 and fell head over heels. I decided I'd sell both my cars to afford the purchase...and mind you I'm selling two cars I love. That's how crazy I am over the M3.

I've test driven dozens of other cars that did nothing for me. G37, blah. Mustang GT, snooze. If I were to buy into hype though I would've for sure bought a GT mustang because it was as fast as an M3 around some track and it costs half as much. But, speed is not everything, it's about how the spirit and personality of the car appeals to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #106
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

The 1M has upgraded cooling so I doubt it will over heat.

As far as HPFP goes I have a modded 335i and have not had over heating or HPFP issues once knock on the wood. I have driven plenty of M cars and not once have felt that I am bored of my car after getting out of the M car. To me my car is practical daily driver that is fast and great fun. If I wanted to buy an M3 I could have and came close to doing it. But at this time with my daily commute of 45 minutes every day in grid lock it makes no sense for me to have a V8 that burns gas like there is no tomorrow. I can see how some people that have highway commute or weekend toy love their M3 and ignore the biggest gas guzzler flaw. But to be honest M3 eats too much gas thanks to its exotic engine. I am glad BMW did not make that mistake in 1M with ever increasing gas prices.

I can only imagine a lighter, cheaper, meaner 1M with greater gas mileage is causing many M3 owners to justify some how that there car is better then 1M. No offense but I do not get this need of M3 owners to get their panties in a bunch and trash 1M as if they are
suffering from small dick syndrome.

Many of these M3 owners have not even driven 1M yet they sit here passing judgment like they know which one is more fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
The 1M will be a great track car until the oil overheats and the car goes into limp mode or the HPFP goes out
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 05-18-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #107
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
+1

FWIW the author of the article in quesion also has expressed the opinion that 1 Series is ugly.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #108
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
This.

The 1M is a great little car, and I'd love to have one, but not instead of an M3.
+1
Appreciate 0