BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

anyone have any luck with a USB hub + iPhone + usb drive?

I can get the iPhone and the thumbdrive to work by themselves, but when I use a hub in there, only the thumbdrive works.

I've tried many different USB hubs, and only one from china will make both devices show up, but the iphone will not play or show up on BMW apps, only on the settings showing it connected via usb.

anyone have luck with something like this?

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
I can get the iPhone and the thumbdrive to work by themselves, but when I use a hub in there, only the thumbdrive works.

I've tried many different USB hubs, and only one from china will make both devices show up, but the iphone will not play or show up on BMW apps, only on the settings showing it connected via usb.

anyone have luck with something like this?

My guess is that your iPhone, thumbdrive and the hub draw too much current when they are connected at the same time and the USB port can't handle it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
My guess is that your iPhone, thumbdrive and the hub draw too much current when they are connected at the same time and the USB port can't handle it.
that's where I was leaning towards!

technics and I were discussing this, and I was leaning towards that as the culprit. I guess there is no way around tapping on the cradle usb wiring or getting a cradle, and leaving the usb input for the thumbnail.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
that's where I was leaning towards!

technics and I were discussing this, and I was leaning towards that as the culprit. I guess there is no way around tapping on the cradle usb wiring or getting a cradle, and leaving the usb input for the thumbnail.
I did not think of a current problem as I ASSuMEd that the main USB port was split into two -iPhone in the cradle, USB stick in the port- in parallel, and thus having enough current for two devices.

But it looks like the cradle have its own power source separately from the USB port itself.
Appreciate 0