BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #23
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Why would they? Spacers aren't the "right equipment" for any vehicle. They are "gizmos" a few enthusiast-type people add on for aesthetic reasons only. They serve no useful purpose other than the above, except perhaps to allow a wheel that was never intended for a particular car to fit.

You don't see OEM spacers, and they are only available aftermarket from vendors who come and go. They can't keep up with that any more than they can keep up with the proper fitment of wheels from the newest wheel company in Miami.

I'm not dissing them, I'm running 12mm spacers all the way around on my OEM 19s as well.
Point taken but, given they are professonals, they should still be able to tell me if the spacers will work or if I'm going to have problems w/them from a technical perspective, right? For example, "Sorry, this spacer won't work because it's not sitting flush with the hub" or "Sorry, the bolts supplied by you are too short/too long".

Anyways, doesn't matter. All this is irrelevant because why would they waste their resources on installing spacers, as was previously discussed...
I'm just saying, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #24
Periokid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
You don't see OEM spacers, and they are only available aftermarket from vendors who come and go. They can't keep up with that any more than they can keep up with the proper fitment of wheels from the newest wheel company in Miami.
Porsche uses and has used spacers on many newer and older models from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #25
Eddy@ApexWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Quote:
Eibach and H&R have been producing TUV approved spacers since who knows when. BBS provides spacers with some of their wheels. They aren't rocket science, and can easily be machined. It's no different then if the wheel were designed with more hub material.

A fellow forum member went to the dealer and purchased these spacers directly over the counter

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #26
Ricfutures
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I went to a national tire company to get spacers installed on my 350z about 8 months ago and they rejected the request as well. I spoke to a buddy of mine who works for this company and it's the companies policy. Assuming we're talking about the same company (I think we are) the guy was just following "orders".
EB M235i (Sold)
E92 M3 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:50 AM   #27
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periokid View Post
Porsche uses and has used spacers on many newer and older models from the factory.
wat? proof? Why wouldn't Porsche design wheels with proper offsets instead of taking the cheap way out and using spacers?
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:10 AM   #28
akina335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periokid View Post
This is true. I don't remember where I seen this, but I have. If you build your own 997 you can even add wheel spacers as one of your options. This should be listed as the m3's options because the m3 looks perfect with 18/15mm (my setup) or 15/12mm spacers! http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...hideintro=true