BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

03-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Unhappy Need dealer and warranty advice!

Guys so i picked up my 2011.5 M3 back in 2012. I bought it preowned but with bmw warranty. My ac compressor and evaporator failed and the dealer replaced them under warranty. Unfortunately they had to take out the whole dashboard to fix it. When i got the car back my centre console had scratches from where they removed the dash, and i also noticed there was a thumping noise coming from the dashboard when i would go through elevation changes on the road at low speeds. I took it back and the dealer fixed the centre console, and they said they fixed the dash. Of course i noticed after driving around 50 miles that the noise was still there, i took it back and they said it had been fixed again. After driving the car for 1 day the noise was back and i took it back to the dealer and made them take it off and remount it and make sure everything was in its place. They agreed and the tech said the problem was that the dash was not sitting in its mounts properly. Now after 3 weeks of having my car back there is a constant loud rattling noise behind the dash and my cup holders get stuck.

This will be my 4th time of taking the car to get the same problem fixed, every time the dealer has taken around 3 days with my car and they have been nice and given me a loaner but man its annoying. I feel like they are never going to fix the issue. What can i do at this point, does anybody have any suggestions? Should i just take it back and suck it up and keep taking it to get the same issue fixed over and over, or is there something i can do with BMW of NA?

Please help, the noise is driving me crazy .
      03-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Take a manager for a ride and talk to them politely and show what the problem is.
      03-05-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
V8FunNaturally
Banned
Rep
Drives: Regensburg Factory E92M3

have you considered going to a different dealer ? If could be the same mechanic who isn't good with this kind of work. I would try Austin.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #4
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Most likely they are not competent enough to fix it. Try another dealer. I've never had good experience with the dealer taking apart interior pieces.
      03-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Yeah, the dealer having to replace my dash is one of my worst fears from a rattle perspective. I get an intermittent rattle from the iDrive housing area (I think) right now, but I'm not willing to do anything about it because even a good service tech would probably only make it worse, plus the crazy temperature swings we've had probably aren't helping with the parts constantly expanding and contracting.

I don't know how loud a rattle you have OP, but at a certain point I'd just consider living with it, because there's such a thing as doing too much work on something even when you're skilled -- not to mention the hassle of all these return trips to the dealer. It's unfortunate that your rattle was caused by a service, but if it's any consolation, rattles are inevitable anyway.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

OP as someone else said, try another dealer. Worst comes to worst, keep trying. I absolutely hate rattles (I guess it also depends how loud it is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Yeah, the dealer having to replace my dash is one of my worst fears from a rattle perspective. I get an intermittent rattle from the iDrive housing area (I think) right now, but I'm not willing to do anything about it because even a good service tech would probably only make it worse, plus the crazy temperature swings we've had probably aren't helping with the parts constantly expanding and contracting.

I don't know how loud a rattle you have OP, but at a certain point I'd just consider living with it, because there's such a thing as doing too much work on something even when you're skilled -- not to mention the hassle of all these return trips to the dealer. It's unfortunate that your rattle was caused by a service, but if it's any consolation, rattles are inevitable anyway.
If it's just in the iDrive housing, maybe try to DYI it yourself. And if you find the source of the rattle, consider using tape with a felt material on the top. That's usually how rattles are fix from factory.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #7
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Yes, I would involve BMWNA, if I were you.
For the simple reason the warranty contract is between you and BMWNA, not between you and the dealer. That's my understanding and maybe you want to consult your warranty booklet on that score.
What can they do? Plenty, if they want to. If you decide to call them, you need to be convincing, have your facts at hand, and include the inconvenience you've had to put up with. Unless you think it's necessary, don't knock the dealer. You also need to be prepared to tell them what you want them to do.
Good luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

You brought the car to the same dealer 4 x who can't fix it.

Bring it to another dealer!! Why keep going back knowing they can't fix it correctly.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for the advice guys, i will be contacting bmw of NA to see how they can help. I will also be calling BMW of austin, though i just hate that i will have to make 2 round trips . I hate only having only one dealer in town.
      03-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Yes, I would involve BMWNA, if I were you.
For the simple reason the warranty contract is between you and BMWNA, not between you and the dealer. That's my understanding and maybe you want to consult your warranty booklet on that score.
What can they do? Plenty, if they want to. If you decide to call them, you need to be convincing, have your facts at hand, and include the inconvenience you've had to put up with. Unless you think it's necessary, don't knock the dealer. You also need to be prepared to tell them what you want them to do.
Good luck with it.
Agreed ^^ Also, for all this trouble try to get something, if they just repair your car that's great, but what about all the trouble you went through? You need compensation for that...have them extend the warranty for 6 months longer, free tank of gas, free M cap...something!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

So many cases of evaporator leaking, issues you almost never hear from cars like Hondas,Nissan etc. that cost half than a BMW.
You should also complain about that to BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
You brought the car to the same dealer 4 x who can't fix it.

Bring it to another dealer!! Why keep going back knowing they can't fix it correctly.
Fixing squeaks, rattles isn't an exact science, there's a good chance even another shop might not be able to fix the problem in one visit. BMW of San Anton fixed it and then the problem came back.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Agreed ^^ Also, for all this trouble try to get something, if they just repair your car that's great, but what about all the trouble you went through? You need compensation for that...have them extend the warranty for 6 months longer, free tank of gas, free M cap...something!!

this statement says alot about you.

OP, try another dealer. Is the noise liveable? Honestly, if it's not that bad, leave it alone and turn up the music. I wouldn't want anyone, (including the dealer) constantly opening up the dash.
Appreciate 0