BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

03-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Splinter4784
414 little horsies
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Front Wheel Spacers

I want to get 15mm Spacers for the Front wheels

Does the Turning Radius or handling get affected by Spacers?
      03-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter4784 View Post
I want to get 15mm Spacers for the Front wheels

Does the Turning Radius or handling get affected by Spacers?
Nothing negative from a 15mm spacer on the street, however you will benefit from a slightly wider track width as well as improved overall appearance.

Most stock M3s benefit from a 12/15mm setup.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

The handling will be negatively affected if you increase the front track width without a similar increase in the rear. If you use spacers with the factory wheels it should be done on all four wheels. There are also theoretically possible problems with front wheel bearings or with breaking of wheel bolts. Those are uncommon for gently driven street cars, however. The spacers should be removed every few months to prevent them from rusting onto the hubs, which then makes removal difficult. Also check the torque of the wheel bolts more frequently as they may be more prone to loosening.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #4
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
The handling will be negatively affected if you increase the front track width without a similar increase in the rear. If you use spacers with the factory wheels it should be done on all four wheels. There are also theoretically possible problems with front wheel bearings or with breaking of wheel bolts. Those are uncommon for gently driven street cars, however. The spacers should be removed every few months to prevent them from rusting onto the hubs, which then makes removal difficult. Also check the torque of the wheel bolts more frequently as they may be more prone to loosening.
for me.. the wider track in the front was a POSITIVE thing... i felt that the front track could be a little wider... and thought the 15mm spacers i used helped the feel a little bit.. and overall performance...

i also used 10mm on my aftermarket wheels when i got them....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
for me.. the wider track in the front was a POSITIVE thing... i felt that the front track could be a little wider... and thought the 15mm spacers i used helped the feel a little bit.. and overall performance...

i also used 10mm on my aftermarket wheels when i got them....
On the old E46 M3 I completely agree that the car had a lot of understeer with the stock suspension and front spacers did help the handling of the car. My initial impression of the E92 M3 is that it is more neutral than the previous model and changing the handling balance might not be such a good idea. It may end up being a matter of personal preference. It seems most people are going for the look rather than the performance and wouldn't the best look be achieved with spacers on the front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #6
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Are you using longer wheel bolts with the 15mm spacers? You want to make sure you have enough threads holding the wheels on.
Appreciate 0