BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

12-12-2007, 08:10 AM   #1
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Soon to Be Former R32 Owners

Just wanted to see how many of them we have here. Just scanning the forums I've noticed a couple. I guess we all have sorta the same idea for upgrading our current cars. This wait for me will be much less though. I was one a wait list for 13 months prior to the R32 being released.

Me at Barber MotorPark last Feb for the VW sponsored Track Day

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Welcome! The R32 has to be one of the best sounding current performance cars, IMO.
      12-12-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I agree. That will be tough to give up. The VR6 definitely has a distinct tone, that just sounds awesome all throughout the rpm range. What I'll be giving up in tone, I'll be more than making up for in performance
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Guys - I need to move this thread to the appropriate forum, 'Other Car Talk'.

But while we're discussing VW's I had a chance to drive an R32 awhile back and liked it. I really like that motor, has a nice snarl to it. And they stick that engine in the back of the Artega GT to boot.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
R32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Bought my R32 in august 2004, after lurking the vortex for several months. I have really loved this car-- looks great, drives great. it has been to the track a dozen times and has given me absolutely no trouble.

i really like the awd, not for bad weather, but that it gives me a safety net on track-- it is almost impossible to spin out the R unless you do something really stupid. the negative is that it is so forgiving that i don't really feel like i am learning anything anymore.

one of the things that i have enjoyed about the R is the strong internet community around it-- i am not much of a wrench-turner, but with DIY's found on vwvortex, i changed my suspension, rear sway bar, brake pads and rotors, haldex fluid, front and rear differential fluids, brake lines, installed a cai and several other projects.

so, now i am on this board in anticipation of the 1. it would provide a significant increase in performance for not much more money. i've got my R right where i want it, so i'm content to drive it for another year or so, but i hope that this board develops into what the r32 board on vwvortex has become. then, buying the 135i would truly be a no-brainer!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Current A3 3.2 owner here. R32s cousin.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Its an easier choice disposing of a mk4 R32. The Mk5 is a much nicer ride.

The R32 is a great example of the rapidly changing automotive landscape. In 2004, it was clearly superior to any other compact car, even holding an astounding 85% of its original sale price at the 3 year mark. But so many things have changed and improved from other manufacturers, the R32 is becoming lost, forgotten about, and dare I say surpassed.

The big letdown was when the new 265hp Audi S3 (same A5/PQ35 platform, not available in the USA) came out. Much lighter, faster, better handling. For as fantastic sounding as the VR6 is, its an old school grey cast iron block, and weight is the big problem over at Volkswagen now.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Current 20th A.E. owner here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
With the same engine, more weight and a ridiculous sticker price, no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:

Not sure what you are basing this on...the consensus is that the MKV was a let down, as it gained weight, but no power, and is only available in DSG. The MKIV seems to be the big favorite, as evidenced by the prices used models are still selling for (plenty of examples with 40k+ selling for 80% of MSRP).

That being said, I am a previous MKIV owner: my MKIV was totalled by a little old lady running a red light. I had a deposit down on a MKV, and ending up getting it back when I found out about the 135i. :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
Not sure what you are basing this on...the consensus is that the MKV was a let down, as it gained weight, but no power, and is only available in DSG. The MKIV seems to be the big favorite, as evidenced by the prices used models are still selling for (plenty of examples with 40k+ selling for 80% of MSRP).
Let me offer this perspective...I'm a rather deeply baffled by some peoples approach to cars. So what if the MK5 is a little heavier? Its much nicer on the inside, its got a better 4 link rear suspension. I'm not paranoid by every little ounce of weight, I want a car to be nice on the inside, which means relatively quiet and feature filled. This is the real world, not a European road rally or some imaginary fast and furious world. A MK5 R32 has plenty of power and nimble enough handling to outmanuver your everyday asleep at-the-wheel jackasses on the road, and the AWD means it will continue to outperform others when the weather is rainy or even snowy.

As far as the DSG goes, its simply the way of the future, its a brilliant system, and I'm pissed that a DSG is not available at launch for the 1 series. And if you don't understand the brilliance of the Borg-Warner+Getrag DSG, your just a hard head that's stuck in the past. In college, I had a job working with a crazy old man who was convinced that FM radio was doomed because "it had no good content" and everybody was inevitably going to start listening to AM radio again...that profoundly foolish approach was that old mans reality, and nobody was going to change his old closed mind, although he was completely wrong. Same thing applies with the MK5 R32+DSG, that "manual only" nonsense is an obsolete old-think paradigm, and its time to get over it. A computer can shift a hell of alot faster and better than you can, and you still have paddles if you want to take control. Go battle rush hour traffic in a big city with your manual, then tell me about how enjoyable your driving experience was.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I may not agree with you on all things, Wolfie, but damn, I sure do on that post.
      12-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #12
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

I had an R32

Deep Blue Pearl. Was one of the first to buy in my area back in Feb of 2004. Got rid of it in May of 2006. Had some nice mods done to that car. I crashed it after 5 weeks of ownership trying to drive in a snow storm with the stock summer tires on the car. I knew better but thought I could get home. I had the car fixed ($12K ouch!) and drove it until I traded it in for a 2006 A4 3.2 6spd which I leased. Needless to say I miss the R32 very much but am looking forward to my One series! I am more excited about this car than I was when the R32 came out! I know I will miss the AWD but the performance on the One will be so worth it. I actually just got back from BMW to lock my spot for the One. Left a $500 deposit. I can't wait! Montego Blue. Oh and the only reason why I am not driving a MK5 R32 (which was my intention with leasing the Audi) is because it does not have a 6spd manual option! I don't care what the future holds, I live in the present. No 6spd manual = no R32 for me. That's my choice, and VW/Audi has lost a customer!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Let me offer this perspective...I'm a rather deeply baffled by some peoples approach to cars. So what if the MK5 is a little heavier? Its much nicer on the inside, its got a better 4 link rear suspension. I'm not paranoid by every little ounce of weight, I want a car to be nice on the inside, which means relatively quiet and feature filled. This is the real world, not a European road rally or some imaginary fast and furious world. A MK5 R32 has plenty of power and nimble enough handling to outmanuver your everyday asleep at-the-wheel jackasses on the road, and the AWD means it will continue to outperform others when the weather is rainy or even snowy.

As far as the DSG goes, its simply the way of the future, its a brilliant system, and I'm pissed that a DSG is not available at launch for the 1 series. And if you don't understand the brilliance of the Borg-Warner+Getrag DSG, your just a hard head that's stuck in the past. In college, I had a job working with a crazy old man who was convinced that FM radio was doomed because "it had no good content" and everybody was inevitably going to start listening to AM radio again...that profoundly foolish approach was that old mans reality, and nobody was going to change his old closed mind, although he was completely wrong. Same thing applies with the MK5 R32+DSG, that "manual only" nonsense is an obsolete old-think paradigm, and its time to get over it. A computer can shift a hell of alot faster and better than you can, and you still have paddles if you want to take control. Go battle rush hour traffic in a big city with your manual, then tell me about how enjoyable your driving experience was.
Having lived with a DSG gearbox for the last 2 years the only thing I can say is I miss a manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:

The problem for me is the price. You can get an Evo or STi for the same amount of cash. In my opinion the R32 doesn't offer enough from a performance stand point for me to consider one, maybe if it was $5k less.
Appreciate 0