BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

06-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

******UPDATED BELOW!*******

So I had a small mark on my seat and tried cleaning it with water. No help. So I thought I would use a damp cloth and a Tide cleaning stick. To my dismay this is what it looked like when it dried. I am very very upset.

Tonight I need to go home and soak it to try and get the detergent out however I had no idea it would leave sucks a mark. Any recommendations appreciated. I may have to try and get it professionally cleaned.

I do sometimes regret getting speed cloth. It's amazing in the summer and holds me in place much better than leather. I wanted to try something different, But I don't know if it's worth the hassle and I would probably get leather if I could go back in time. If this stuff cleaned easy, there would be no beating it. That part I haven't figured out yet.

The picture looks worse than it actually is because of the flash on my camera. But it's still very noticeable. At least the original stain came out LOL <insert crying here>

Wtf speed cloth.

<insert leather is better comments here>

UPDATE!!!********************

I worked on the seat yesterday, after recommendations I decided using any chemicals on the seat. I got a steamer and used hot steam all over the seat. Water stains can be a bitch so luckily it seemed to have worked. It's about 90% better! You can see it only a little but compared to what it was I'm very happy with the results.

Speed cloth pulls through!!!

Last edited by IbanezGod; 06-16-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Prophizee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 GTR, 2014 x1 3.5 Msport

Leather is better no just messing. That really sucks my friend I hope you get out.
Appreciate 1
      06-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
chris s
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2022 Dravit G80 M3

Yikes, that sucks. I would not ever recommend using a tide stick or something of the sort. It's not a mild fabric cleaner, it's a concentrated spot remover.

That said, i'm sure some sort of good interior fabric shampoo will take that out. You might want to consult with a good detailer on what to use, or have it done.
2008 AW e92 M3 6MT, ESS SC, BBS LM's...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I used Turtle Wax upholstery cleaner. It worked well but, if you spot clean like you did, the cloth darkens so, I cleaned the entire cloth pieces of the seat and now it looks like new.

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Stealth ///M
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Get some carpet cleaner and do the entire section.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Just wipe the seat with a damp cloth and the stain will come out no problem. Oh wait, it's not leather. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
flagger
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I used Turtle Wax upholstery cleaner. It worked well but, if you spot clean like you did, the cloth darkens so, I cleaned the entire cloth pieces of the seat and now it looks like new.
I think this is the answer. Do the entire piece of material, not just the spot, and it should be okay.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #8
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I think this is the answer. Do the entire piece of material, not just the spot, and it should be okay.
That's the plan. Thanks. Hope it works out
      06-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Steam cleaning is the answer. You want the steam to "lift" the stain you made up and out of the fabric. Anything else is just going to push the stain down into the fabric.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

The problem is that you are spot cleaning, and when water and the soap dries out, you get the mark that you have. Best thing to do re-soak the whole area with water and your preferred upholstery cleaner and then use a carpet cleaning machine to suction the moisture out. It may take a couple of goes as the mark has dried out. This is how upholstery is properly cleaned. If you don't have access to such a machine, get it done professionally, don't try to scrub it.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Try using Folex. I found it at Lowes and Home Depot might have it. It's designed to clean carpets and a lot of professionals swear by it. Works well.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
KJ
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 - Alpine White

Bring it to a professional and get the shit stain in the middle cleaned as well.

You already fucked it up, no need to try a bunch of other shit and fuck it up more.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F Type R

Garage List
2008 M3  [10.00]
This is what I use on automotive upholstery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

You can try some 10:1 Meguiar's APC and some agitation with a soft brush. Auto Finesse also has an interior cleaning product and they are a sponsor here. Never used it myself however.

I'm sure it will come out though; not to worry.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #15
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Chemical guys has fabric cleaners. Give me them a shot if you don't get the right results
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
The problem is that you are spot cleaning, and when water and the soap dries out, you get the mark that you have. Best thing to do re-soak the whole area with water and your preferred upholstery cleaner and then use a carpet cleaning machine to suction the moisture out. It may take a couple of goes as the mark has dried out. This is how upholstery is properly cleaned. If you don't have access to such a machine, get it done professionally, don't try to scrub it.
Yeah i figured that afterwards, going to soak it in water tonight to see if that helps get rid of the lines. Lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ View Post
Bring it to a professional and get the shit stain in the middle cleaned as well.

You already fucked it up, no need to try a bunch of other shit and fuck it up more.
yeah... the shit stain is from me using the towel there too... soap left a mark there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
You can try some 10:1 Meguiar's APC and some agitation with a soft brush. Auto Finesse also has an interior cleaning product and they are a sponsor here. Never used it myself however.

I'm sure it will come out though; not to worry.
Hesitant to try something new... i'll talk to Auto Finesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannys M3 View Post
This is what I use on automotive upholstery.
what have you used it on, any before afters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Chemical guys has fabric cleaners. Give me them a shot if you don't get the right results
on their website now reaching out... i don't want to screw up again

06-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #17
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Friend had a nose bleed on the seat once, couldn't really say anything to her of course but she did have a solution that I didn't believe at first.. Hydrogen Peroxide. A 500ml bottle costs like $3 and it takes just one round of spraying and one round of wiping to get pretty much anything out of the seat. Since that incident, I have used it for juice, red bull and even coffee from SB.

Your speed cloth doesn't look to be in the best of condition, maybe you should get it cleaned properly too once..

Edit - Yes, I do have speed cloth.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Friend had a nose bleed on the seat once, couldn't really say anything to her of course but she did have a solution that I didn't believe at first.. Hydrogen Peroxide. A 500ml bottle costs like $3 and it takes just one round of spraying and one round of wiping to get pretty much anything out of the seat. Since that incident, I have used it for juice, red bull and even coffee from SB.

Your speed cloth doesn't look to be in the best of condition, maybe you should get it cleaned properly too once..

Edit - Yes, I do have speed cloth.
might be because of the flash... the rest of the SC is fine. Only 19K on the car.

I read up on HP... says it is for blood. Isn't it acidic? Not sure I want to rub that on there... thanks though. I may take it to a professional after trying some regular water treatment.
      06-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicassoM View Post
might be because of the flash... the rest of the SC is fine. Only 19K on the car.

I read up on HP... says it is for blood. Isn't it acidic? Not sure I want to rub that on there... thanks though. I may take it to a professional after trying some regular water treatment.
Never thought about that. Speed cloth does hold up well compared against leather for sure though.

I have used it on the cloth and the leather, it might have a small amount of acidity in the product but negligible for the kind of work I have and you possibly want to carry out.. Your reaction is pretty much the same as mine when this kind of thing first happened, it is much easier to fix than you are thinking right now, trust me on that. GL.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Never thought about that. Speed cloth does hold up well compared against leather for sure though.

I have used it on the cloth and the leather, it might have a small amount of acidity in the product but negligible for the kind of work I have and you possibly want to carry out.. Your reaction is pretty much the same as mine when this kind of thing first happened, it is much easier to fix than you are thinking right now, trust me on that. GL.
thanks, i'll look into trying that if the full water rub doesn't help. But yes the SC is like new otherwise... too bad stains is the only danger.
      06-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Water Marks (Browning)

Using a detergent that is meant to be flush rinsed (i.e. rinsed until it runs clear) in a situation where this is not possible, is not recommended as when it dries it will attract dirt and contribute to re-soiling and may leave 'water marks

Clean and extract as normal. Follow with a sprayed mist of a 'souring agent' to prevent browning, colour bleed and those awful 'water marks'. Extract with plain water (no detergent).

Pro's Choice "Browning Treatment" (formerly known as Brown Out) is an excellent treatment for water stains on upholstered furniture, caused by wet cleaning, and treatment of brown out on upholstery or carpet due to over-wetting. Simply apply full strength to the problem area. Wait to dry and then evaluate. Pro's Choice - https://www.proschoicesupply.com/pro...=Stain_Removal
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

alright, it has to be asked. What is the stain? Did you and the car go WOT at the same time?
Appreciate 0