BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: What will the hp of the new M3 be (claimed, crank)
400 - 409 14 11.67%
410-419 15 12.50%
420 - 429 55 45.83%
430 - 439 13 10.83%
440 - 449 23 19.17%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

01-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #23
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Bed time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be Working View Post
Swamp - please tell me you cut and paste this info from somewhere and you don't go to bed at night dreaming about this stuff!!!
I used to be a physicist in a past life... Units and power and what not come pretty natural/easy. I have always known that everybody and their brother use different specs and get diff. numbers for power. So I just quickly gathered a bit of info from a few easy to find sources (no copy paste - that is plagiarism!) and answered the question better for myself and for the poster.

I go to bed dreaming about E92 M3 and my ass in Geneva seeing one. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 01:38 AM   #24
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I do have a life outside the board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Where is swamp? Price close to RS4 means that we will start the bidding at $65K for stripped car. So upgrading to a descent radio will probally cost $70K and so on. Oh shit ...

This sucker gonna be expensive, get ready to pay my friends

(I wonder if they'll charge $1K for the mats.)
It aint over until that fat lady sings. If this thing is really a P-car and Aston Martin killer as has been alluded to by insiders then the price will probably be higher than my predictions (high 50's base). It looks like BWM needs room for the new M2 so the M3 is shooting for the moon. The will probably leave the M2 as a 335i like performer that handles and feels like a sports car. I always thought 400 hp was insane now 426 is even more insane. This just widens the gap between a moded 335i and the M3. Like I stated many posts ago it is all about performance to dollar ratio. It also sounds like many nice options will be standard which does give BMW reasons (excuses) for jacking the price up.

I guess as of now I am still going to stick to my prediction that the new M will be > 335i + price differnce of mods for equal all around performance.

Sarcastic statements like yours above about the radio and mats only leads me to believe you are just getting sour because the new M3 will be outside your price range.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 01:41 AM   #25
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down Lame!!

All you lamo's who posted your hp "guess" after 10:47 a.m. this morning. YOU SUCK . Admins - you should remove their votes!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #26
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

If it is true, I must say I think 426 HP is a little disapointing, it is to close to Audi and other competitors. The only thing that can save the M3 must be the weight, IMO it should be in the range of the E46M3, then we`re talking some serious business..........................
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #27
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
If it is true, I must say I think 426 HP is a little disapointing, it is to close to Audi and other competitors. The only thing that can save the M3 must be the weight, IMO it should be in the range of the E46M3, then we`re talking some serious business..........................
Yes I feel the same way. 426 is a little disappointing, but I will probably get the car as long as the price is not crazy. If HP were much lower, though, I would really have to think about it.

Big question for US people: will the US version have fewer horses than the EU car?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 08:28 AM   #28
aznyeast
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

according to some of the rumors around, price seems be to close to rs4. Oh well, Im not going to spend more than 70k + tax on a car. Guess I will have to look at the 335 now
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I used to be a physicist in a past life... Units and power and what not come pretty natural/easy. I have always known that everybody and their brother use different specs and get diff. numbers for power. So I just quickly gathered a bit of info from a few easy to find sources (no copy paste - that is plagiarism!) and answered the question better for myself and for the poster.

I go to bed dreaming about E92 M3 and my ass in Geneva seeing one. Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #30
replicat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 40MPG

What did I miss? Are the official figures out?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 11:45 AM   #31
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicat View Post
What did I miss? Are the official figures out?
No, no "official" figures out yet. A few guys who are supposed "in-the-know" are claiming 426hp.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #32
coaster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
It aint over until that fat lady sings.
I think it's OVER. This car will cost in the mid $70's, have a look at what an RS4 will cost you to put in your garage. WTF did we all expect, an affordable M3?

Quote:
I always thought 400 hp was insane now 426 is even more insane. This just widens the gap between a moded 335i and the M3.
The gap with the 335i is definitely gonna be wider but the price looks to be disproportionally wider. As for 400 HP beeing "insane", trust me it's not. They had the Porsche guy on TV the other day (North American sales chief I believe) asking what it wil take to compete in the sports segment going forward and he said 500 HP is the goal today and will likely increase going forward.

Quote:
It also sounds like many nice options will be standard which does give BMW reasons (excuses) for jacking the price up.
Oh yeah, sure, you will be lucky to get the floor mats for no charge.

Quote:
I guess as of now I am still going to stick to my prediction that the new M will be > 335i + price differnce of mods for equal all around performance.
Sure feel free to "stick to your predictions".

Quote:
Sarcastic statements like yours above about the radio and mats only leads me to believe you are just getting sour because the new M3 will be outside your price range.
The question is NOT what is outside my or your price range but what the car should be properly valued at. As I have already predicted (obviously you weren't paying attention) to take this car home "loaded" will cost you closer to the $80s than the $60s (which is what you predicted). Why? Becaus ethere are plenty of "eager beavers" in the market place today and BMW will be doing them a favor to remove them from their easily earned dollars. You appear to have trouble eating your words. Here is my next prediction:

"A brand new loaded M3 will cost more than a 1 year old M5."
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 12:09 PM   #33
carnuts3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
I wonder how the new M3 will fare against the C-63? The C is getting a total reworking that could yield the king of beasts - if the steering and handling also improve along with the significant increase in hp and torque.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 05:52 PM   #34
Smoltz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 Challenge Stradale + 02 M3

Coaster,

When considering all available data on BMW pricing, the ONLY conclusion that can be drawn is that the car's base price will be under 60k. With that being said, we won't know until BMW releases the real numbers, but if I were you, I wouldn't be so adamant that the price will be in the 70s & 80s when there is absolutely no data to support it.

-Adam

PS - I have posted on here in the past with some numerical analysis, search and it should come right up, if you have any question to my reasoning.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #35
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Various

Well this is replies to so many it might get messy.

426 hp disappointing? Man either you all are crazy or I am easy to please. Especially given the power to weight ratio that is likely. What else can you buy (or will you be able to buy new when this car comes out) that will offer more performance for less $ in the same (or close) category???

As far as needing 500hp (now?) to "compete" I'd say that is total crap. What now has 500hp in this category. I guess if you like MB you can wait for the 500 hp C63 beast but it will be some serious coin (way more than an M3) and M3 willl almost certainly be a better track car. I agree there is a new hp war but if 426 hp is lame or not insane at all where does that leave the "lowly" E46 M3 (sarcasm)? Also do you think BMW is stupid enough to design a car that can best others for only 6 months. Doubtful.

I've also never made any prediction about the price of a new loaded M3. I stick to talking base exclusively. I agree with Smoltz that all reasonable financial models, trends, etc. support a base of under $60k. Just compare what happened with E60 M5 compared to both E39 M5 and 550. Hey if it does not happen then I am wrong. No words to eat, just means the car has kind of morphed into the "M4" and has been somewhat loaded as base. Anyway it is pretty early to eat words when all we have it price rumors isn't it? Can you say "jump the gun".

I don't really care to comment or disagree with your new/loaded M3 vs. M5 price prediction. It very well may be true. However, personally, I do not want 4000+ lbs, four doors nor used at this particular time so it is pretty irrelevant to me.

Hmmm last but not least is it really so terrible/unjustified/inconceiveable that BMW will offer the new M3 for less $ than the RS4 and at the same time handily outperform it? Heck I suspect it is going to be outperforming P-cars with base+minimal options at $85k. Sounds like a winner to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #36
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
I wonder how the new M3 will fare against the C-63? The C is getting a total reworking that could yield the king of beasts - if the steering and handling also improve along with the significant increase in hp and torque.
MB is "figuring out" steering and handling. The C63 will be a serious contender I think. Certainly for drags! I would love to know the expected weight. I looked around on line a bit but could not find anything. Any ideas? Weight could be the serious thorn in the side of this car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #37
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I think some people should go out and get some pure american muscle cars lol

"The gap with the 335i is definitely gonna be wider but the price looks to be disproportionally wider. As for 400 HP beeing "insane", trust me it's not. They had the Porsche guy on TV the other day (North American sales chief I believe) asking what it wil take to compete in the sports segment going forward and he said 500 HP is the goal today and will likely increase going forward."

Relative to what?
If you think this "500HP" is significant, you should consider getting a Ford Shelby GT500 Coupe. hahaha

Jokes aside, I am pretty sure that it won't be around $80,000.
Fully Loaded E46 M3 was around mid 60s.
We are talking about $20,000 difference from going I6 to V8.
Indeed it is a big difference but this argument just doesn't make sense.

Man...When is this thing coming out anyways? I need a break. hahaha
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 10:00 PM   #38
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I dont care much about HPs, its the torque that would kill them
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #39
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
I think it's OVER. This car will cost in the mid $70's, have a look at what an RS4 will cost you to put in your garage. WTF did we all expect, an affordable M3?
OK the "inside" information over at germancarzone.com is base price = 650,000kr (Sweden). Audi RS4 is 731,000kr. RS4 base USD is $66k. 650/731 * $66k = drumroll .... $58.6k. Right where most of us are predicting! Again even I will say without tooting my own horn, it ain't over until the fat lady sings, but this new information, along with the historical BMW price information, points to a base price of < $60k. For the hundredth time I don't want to argue about a well optioned price but it is almost for sure not going to cost even $70k (let alone mid 70s) with some options AND out the door with tax!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 10:47 PM   #40
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I don't care what it costs I'm getting one

just not over $80k
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #41
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Funny

Nice stealth use of small yellow font. Especially funny given the 335i vs. M3 debate raging here.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #42
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta View Post
I don't care what it costs I'm getting one

just not over $80k
This man...hahaha
nice try but we got you on that one
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #43
anees
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
Cmon now...base price CAN'T be $65,000.
Loaded one will most likely be $75,000 or even $80,000
Remember there is a new Subaru WRX STI coming out as well...with improved
engine, gear box, diff, etc...

I will definitely have a problem if a bloody four door WRX STI with better road handling and performance costs about half the price of the new M3..

Something is wrong in society where we pay more for less....like women's fashion...pay more for less
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 05:58 AM   #44
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

The straw man called. . .

Quote:
Well this is replies to so many it might get messy.

As far as needing 500hp (now?) to "compete" I'd say that is total crap. What now has 500hp in this category. I guess if you like MB you can wait for the 500 hp C63 beast but it will be some serious coin (way more than an M3) and M3 willl almost certainly be a better track car. I agree there is a new hp war but if 426 hp is lame or not insane at all where does that leave the "lowly" E46 M3 (sarcasm)? Also do you think BMW is stupid enough to design a car that can best others for only 6 months. Doubtful.
He wants his argument back. Who said the M3 needs 500 to compete? I'd say that is total crap too, if someone actually said it.

I think BMW committed itself to a drivetrain package for the new M3 years ago, while the E60 M5 was still in development. This was before the hp wars escalated to a point where Audi -- an also-ran for quite a long time -- now has a 421 hp car available that is both agile and fast, and MB has a 460+ hp car on the horizon. I think that when the M3 was in early planning, the planners believed 400-425 hp would far eclipse anything else in the same segment as the M3.

Would you rather have an M3 with 426 hp or 450 hp if all other attributes between the two cars were identical?

I am sounding perhaps more pessimistic than I really feel. I will likely get the new M3 when it comes out, provided price is within reason.
Appreciate 0