BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-30-2008, 10:39 AM   #23
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
T-Bone,

I see both videos happen to be from the M5Board.com event. It funny that on their events BMWs seem to run better than on any other place, it might be the Bermuda Triangle for BMWs.

Personally I truth Autocar's results a lot more than that of the M5Board.com.
If you are calling the videos as lies, just say so. Are you?

Per, who is a member here, participated in one of the events with a V2 335i vs. M3. Is Per a fraud too? Just_me is a mod on the M5board, why don't you ask him too if the videos are fixed.

Can you address these videos or are you going to give a chicken-shit insuation that the videos are somehow "rigged"??

Funny part is that I have NEVER seen Audi taillights on these videos.
      01-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

mods, could you move this to the appropriate section. This is for M3 competitors. Thanks
      01-30-2008, 11:34 AM   #25
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
I am not calling them frauds only highlighting a fact that BMWs do seem to run better there an almost anywhere else.

I have seen videos of E55 stock vs E60 M5 stock and the Merc wins, Gallardos beating M5s, Gallardo beating F430 etc. All that proves is each car and race is different. I bet if you put two stock M5s against each other one would be ahead of the other, no cars cars are the same.

Why do you always feel that you have to go on the defensive when I make a comment that doesn't meet with your approval.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #26
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
mods, could you move this to the appropriate section. This is for M3 competitors. Thanks
Sorry mate,

I agree that the RS6 info should be in the appropriate place but as always myself and T-Bone never seem to see things the same. I love cars and he loves BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am not calling them frauds only highlighting a fact that BMWs do seem to run better there an almost anywhere else.

I have seen videos of E55 stock vs E60 M5 stock and the Merc wins, Gallardos beating M5s, Gallardo beating F430 etc. All that proves is each car and race is different. I bet if you put two stock M5s against each other one would be ahead of the other, no cars cars are the same.

Why do you always feel that you have to go on the defensive when I make a comment that doesn't meet with your approval.

You are attempting to divert attention from the key issue which is that the M3 (E46 or E92) smokes the RS4 on the airfield runs. We have video evidence showing this and you are making insinuations that have no bearing, in other words, you have no response.

BTW, If I were to take your bet, you would lose.....look at the great BMW quality control and fairness of the M5board vids...

(This video should negate your silly statement about cars not being equal - what is your next diversion?)
      01-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #28
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry mate,

I agree that the RS6 info should be in the appropriate place but as always myself and T-Bone never seem to see things the same. I love cars and he loves BMWs.
No worries. It's just because I never check this section out but lucky I did so I didnt miss the RS6 thread. I was just waiting for discussion to pop up on the first drives that have taken place
      01-30-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No worries. It's just because I never check this section out but lucky I did so I didnt miss the RS6 thread. I was just waiting for discussion to pop up on the first drives that have taken place
Hi mate, being a guy in the know, what the word on the RS6 is it as good as we believe in terms of performance?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 12:36 PM   #30
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi mate, being a guy in the know, what the word on the RS6 is it as good as we believe in terms of performance?
From a good source I've been told laptime is looking at 8.05 at the moment, but he has a feeling it's a conservative figure.
      01-30-2008, 12:48 PM   #31
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

People I always thought Sepang Blue was the best colour but look at Red!

01-30-2008, 12:53 PM   #32
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.petrolhead.nl/2008/01/video_audi_rs6.php

Dutch review. Here's a translation:

- sounds better than R8 and RS4
- he doesnt like wagons but respects this one
- good handling for weight of 2038 kg
- expensive, he thinks if you need that space you should buy Range Rover
- he thinks horsepower war will end and he cant imagine next RS6 will have 700bhp because of emissions. I would agree with this thought.
      01-30-2008, 01:13 PM   #33
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
http://www.petrolhead.nl/2008/01/video_audi_rs6.php

Dutch review. Here's a translation:

- sounds better than R8 and RS4
- he doesnt like wagons but respects this one
- good handling for weight of 2038 kg
- expensive, he thinks if you need that space you should buy Range Rover
- he thinks horsepower war will end and he cant imagine next RS6 will have 700bhp because of emissions. I would agree with this thought.
Well that is saying something, to sound like that a R8. It is one of the best sounding sportscars on the planet and for the RS6 to sound even better makes me sooooo want to hear it, with the M5/6 sounding so tinny the thought of a hairy chested super saloon is great to hear.

One thing that does surprise me is that Audi have got something weighing over 2000Kgs to handle at all but for them to make it this good and possible post a time similar to the M3 does say a lot for their engineering skills.

The Range Rover is a great car but I doubt anyone considering a RS6 would also consider a Range Rover, that's just silly.

I agree that this ever increasing horsepower war has to come to an end but unless all of them agree that chances of that happening is very slim. Of course the EU and the US might rule that no car can produce over as certain Co2 level and that would be the end of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 01:37 PM   #34
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree on the sound of the RS6. It was half expected though especially with that monster engine! That can only be good news for the R8 V10.

Regarding laptimes. Here's others so we can compare:

8:13 M5
8:09 M6
8:09 RS4
8:05 M3

Did I hear right that the M6 had sport tires? I think the RS4 did too. What tires did the M5 have?
      01-30-2008, 01:56 PM   #35
gbb357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IS300

This was the C&D results back in 2003 when they tested the RS6, E55, e39M5, and Jaguar S type-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D
First Place
2003 Audi RS 6

One of the time-honored rationales for corporate motorsports programs is technology transfer, in which systems developed and tested in racing cars find their way into street models. Thus, Audi presents the RS 6 as a legacy of the all-conquering R8 racers, winners of the 24-hour Le Mans race in 2000, ’01, and ’02. That’s a stretch. Aside from its turbo V-8, the RS 6 has as much in common with the R8 as it does with the Graf Zeppelin. But if that’s Audi’s story, it’s okay with us, because the RS 6 goes way beyond okay.

We should also acknowledge where it doesn’t go: It doesn’t go faster than the E55. With twin turbos and intercoolers, this is the most potent iteration of Audi’s 4.2-liter DOHC 40-valve V-8—450 horsepower, 415 pound-feet of torque. The torque is particularly impressive. It’s all on tap by 1950 rpm—barely off idle—and it continues at peak output all the way to 5700 rpm, a curve similar to the topography of southeast Michigan, i.e., broad and flat.

Instant torque and all-wheel drive conspire to hammer this big car to 60 mph in 4.4 seconds, just a 10th shy of the bodacious Benz, and its departure is remarkably free of drama. The small-block-Chevy rap of its twin exhausts— delightfully brash in a car of this caliber—climbs the decibel scale, the RS 6 hunkers down on its haunches, and suddenly, it’s gone, diminishing rapidly into the Arizona sunset. The speedo hits 100 mph in 10.7 seconds, and the quarter-mile comes up in 12.8 seconds at 108 mph.
This was the comparison test C&D did last year between the M5, E63, and S6.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...z-e63-amg.html
Quote:
Would you be surprised to hear that this doesn’t have a positive effect on acceleration? Or lap times on the Streets of Willow? Or making a hot exit from a slow corner? Of course you wouldn’t. Because that’s precisely what happens. This M5 was a half-second slower to 60 mph than the SMG version we tested in January 2006 — 4.7 versus 4.2 — and a half-second slower through the quarter-mile: 13.0 seconds at 114 mph versus 12.5 at 118. DSC also inhibited lane-change performance (60.8 mph versus 65.6) and skidpad results (0.83 lateral g versus 0.89).
Here are the test results in pdf.
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/d...ertrain_ss.pdf

The point i'm getting at is, if you look at the performance results with the older RS6 model with 450hp TT V8, i don't think the new RS6 with 580hp V10 would have any problem beating those numbers by a whole lot considering the weight is very close. And would probably at least match the M5's performance figures as well if not beat it. Obviously this are all speculation base on the given data, we'll have to wait and see the actual comparison test to be able to determine how they really stack up against each other. But also keep in mind that supposedly BMW is already testing a Twin Turbo M5.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
I agree on the sound of the RS6. It was half expected though especially with that monster engine! That can only be good news for the R8 V10.

Regarding laptimes. Here's others so we can compare:

8:13 M5
8:09 M6
8:09 RS4
8:05 M3

Did I hear right that the M6 had sport tires? I think the RS4 did too. What tires did the M5 have?
All but the M5 had sport tires.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #37
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
All but the M5 had sport tires.

Best regards, south
In that case if what I heard was true, the RS6 is faster round the track than the M5. It would make sense since the RS6 was seen testing with the M5. Remember the spypics?
      01-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #38
southlight
Rep

Quote:
In that case if what I heard was true, the RS6 is faster round the track than the M5. It would make sense since the RS6 was seen testing with the M5. Remember the spypics?
This means the RS6 does a 8:05 without sport tires?

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #39
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Best regards, south
From the spec sheet I have seen it looks like the RS6 comes standard with PS2 tyres so I doubt the lap time it will do or has done will be on anything other than them.

Anyway, how sure are we that it has done a 8:05, according to hks786 the Audi guy said it has done 8:09 but from an insider/source it is capable of better, possible 8:05. Either time is amazing when you consider that it weighs and extra 200kgs more than the more nimble M5 and according to T-Bone it will be slower on the straights so if true it will actually be cornering better than the M5 or M6 for that matter.

Not bad for an over-weight, nose heavy tub with a power sapping transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #40
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
From the spec sheet I have seen it looks like the RS6 comes standard with PS2 tyres so I doubt the lap time it will do or has done will be on anything other than them.

Anyway, how sure are we that it has done a 8:05, according to hks786 the Audi guy said it has done 8:09 but from an insider/source it is capable of better, possible 8:05. Either time is amazing when you consider that it weighs and extra 200kgs more than the more nimble M5 and according to T-Bone it will be slower on the straights so if true it will actually be cornering better than the M5 or M6 for that matter.

Not bad for an over-weight, nose heavy tub with a power sapping transmission.

Don't forget the M5 / M6 had a speed limiter on these times and they were with stock tires.

An inside source thinks it is capable of more? Yeah Audi is holding back because it is beating BMW so badly.

Too bad even after BMW presents a bright target Audi misses the mark, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbb357 View Post
This was the C&D results back in 2003 when they tested the RS6, E55, e39M5, and Jaguar S type-R.

This was the comparison test C&D did last year between the M5, E63, and S6.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...z-e63-amg.html

Here are the test results in pdf.
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/d...ertrain_ss.pdf

The point i'm getting at is, if you look at the performance results with the older RS6 model with 450hp TT V8, i don't think the new RS6 with 580hp V10 would have any problem beating those numbers by a whole lot considering the weight is very close. And would probably at least match the M5's performance figures as well if not beat it. Obviously this are all speculation base on the given data, we'll have to wait and see the actual comparison test to be able to determine how they really stack up against each other. But also keep in mind that supposedly BMW is already testing a Twin Turbo M5.

The recent M5 test was done with the stupid American 6MT version with the crippled DSC system. This car is so bad that the M5 couldn't pull above a 0.74 Gs (if memory serves) without the DSC intervening and killing the results.

Blame America for such an awful version of the E60 M5!
      01-30-2008, 04:09 PM   #41
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Best regards, south
I confirmed. It was using sport tires.
      01-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #42
southlight
Rep

Quote:
I confirmed. It was using sport tires.
Thanks.
So if these sport tires are good for less than 8 seconds the RS6 would be faster than the M5 on the N'ring.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #43
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.
So if these sport tires are good for less than 8 seconds the RS6 would be faster than the M5.

Best regards, south
The impact of sport tires is disproportionately higher for heavier cars..... On street tires I would guess the RS6 is in the 8:20's.
      01-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #44
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
Don't forget the M5 / M6 had a speed limiter on these times and they were with stock tires.

An inside source thinks it is capable of more? Yeah Audi is holding back because it is beating BMW so badly.

Too bad even after BMW presents a bright target Audi misses the mark, again.
Audi did miss to mark that is the M5, reason is they were aiming for something higher.
Appreciate 0