BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

BPM

03-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Ben335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Factory Alarm Option

For those that are thinking of ordering their cars or have one on order that is still changeable that are interested in the OEM alarm. BMW has now released for 09 M3's a factory alarm option. As some of you may now, BMW changed the alarm from 08's and the 08 alarms won't work on 09s. I was waiting for the new alarm to come out and now it seems BMW will offer it from the factory. $400 is the MSRP.
      03-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

ask your dealer to throw it in for free.
      03-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
For those that are thinking of ordering their cars or have one on order that is still changeable that are interested in the OEM alarm. BMW has now released for 09 M3's a factory alarm option. As some of you may now, BMW changed the alarm from 08's and the 08 alarms won't work on 09s. I was waiting for the new alarm to come out and now it seems BMW will offer it from the factory. $400 is the MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I've had the OEM alarm on my 09 for over 5 months now. I'm assuming if what you say is true that I must have got an 08 model alarm and it works fine.
I may be wrong then in saying the 08 don't work on 09s. I tried ordering the alarm from Tischer BMW and was told BMW has not released the alarm for the 09 and the 08 alarm will not work. Where did you get your alarm? Did you order the alarm already in the car from the factory or put it in after the car was delivered?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So...I just ordered my M3 this week. I saw nothing about an alarm as an option or with one of the packages. Is this something I need to ask for specifically? Is there any difference between the 08 and 09?

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
ask your dealer to throw it in for free.
I wish I could. My deal involves BMW buying my E93 335i back so the car is being sold with no profit in it and already heavily discounted by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBO_M3 View Post
So...I just ordered my M3 this week. I saw nothing about an alarm as an option or with one of the packages. Is this something I need to ask for specifically? Is there any difference between the 08 and 09?

It just became an option on the BMWUSA website and I called my dealer this morning to add it. It just became available. I wanted to share that with anyone else that has a car on order or is thinking about ordering.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The "old" OEM alarm expiration date was production 03/09, so any MY2009 produced up to production 03/09 can use the "old" OEM alarm. Any MY2009 produced from 03/09-on will be using this "new" OEM alarm...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The "old" OEM alarm expiration date was production 03/09, so any MY2009 produced up to production 03/09 can use the "old" OEM alarm. Any MY2009 produced from 03/09-on will be using this "new" OEM alarm...
Thanks Technic, I thought there had to something to it since Tischer could not sell me the alarm. It may also come out cheaper if you order the alarm from the factory since you won't have to install nor reprogram to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Thanks Technic, I thought there had to something to it since Tischer could not sell me the alarm. It may also come out cheaper if you order the alarm from the factory since you won't have to install nor reprogram to make it work.
it will definitely come out cheaper! i'm curious to see if the equipment is the same.
      03-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #11
TIMBO_M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It just became an option on the BMWUSA website and I called my dealer this morning to add it. It just became available. I wanted to share that with anyone else that has a car on order or is thinking about ordering.
I checked the website and I'm not seeing it as an option when I build an M3. But...it looks like from Technic that I might be ok and that since mine isn't in production yet...it should include the 09 version. I'll still call the dealership and ask someone. Thanks.

2009 E92 M3 6MT Jet Black
Mods: MS Air Filter | MS spacers (bulldog stance) | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | Matte Black Kidney Grills and Gills | BMW Performance Pedals | EAS Aftermarket Alarm System| AiB Headlights | Tint
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBO_M3 View Post
I checked the website and I'm not seeing it as an option when I build an M3. But...it looks like from Technic that I might be ok and that since mine isn't in production yet...it should include the 09 version. I'll still call the dealership and ask someone. Thanks.

I just checked and it is there for both E92 and E90. It is under the options tab, under safety. Perhaps your seeing a cached page, hit F5.
The car also does not come default with it. You have to add it as an option per my original post.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Makes sense. Mine is a 09/08 build.
      03-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

I can't find the original info on this now, but I recall reading somewhere that BMW is changing the basic equipment level on the newer '09 cars so that they will not come standard with the alarm prewiring. What I had read was that if you did not option in the alarm, you would not get the wiring either, and could then not (cost-effectively) retrofit the kit. The issue came up because someone had ordered a car before their sales guy knew this but it was too late to fix.

Sounded odd to me at the time since you figure the wiring bundles on these cars are getting simplified down to single high capacity connections. But then again, a couple of feet of the wires saved from each car multiplied over many maybe will save a few Euros....

Just to confirm: my Sept 08 build '09 M3 is working fine with an 08 alarm.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3CDFR View Post
I can't find the original info on this now, but I recall reading somewhere that BMW is changing the basic equipment level on the newer '09 cars so that they will not come standard with the alarm prewiring. What I had read was that if you did not option in the alarm, you would not get the wiring either, and could then not (cost-effectively) retrofit the kit. The issue came up because someone had ordered a car before their sales guy knew this but it was too late to fix.

Sounded odd to me at the time since you figure the wiring bundles on these cars are getting simplified down to single high capacity connections. But then again, a couple of feet of the wires saved from each car multiplied over many maybe will save a few Euros....

Just to confirm: my Sept 08 build '09 M3 is working fine with an 08 alarm.
Here is the thread:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234176
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #16
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

What are the reasons for getting an alarm on a 2009 M3? I'm just curious as to peoples reasons. It would seem to me that anyone with the tecnology/knowhow to steal the new M3 wouldn't be stopped by an alarm. And it would be stupid to leave something of high value on your seat, with or without an alarm. So what's the point?
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisel View Post
What are the reasons for getting an alarm on a 2009 M3? I'm just curious as to peoples reasons. It would seem to me that anyone with the tecnology/knowhow to steal the new M3 wouldn't be stopped by an alarm. And it would be stupid to leave something of high value on your seat, with or without an alarm. So what's the point?
My main reason was that I wanted audible confirmation when I locked or unlocked the car. Especially with CA, it is nice to have that little chirp to let you know that the car is secure.

Not every car thief has technology/knowhow, so the alarm can also serve as a deterrent in that regard. If somebody doesn't know how to disable the alarm, the blaring siren might cause a thief to flee. I know that there are others on the forum who think it is a total waste...so maybe someone in that camp could chime in.
      03-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #18
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

I had it installed for the same reason as Big Windy but also a couple of others. Almost no one else in France seems to have alarms installed anymore on newer immobilizer equipped cars, according to my dealer here who had to basically teach their mechs how to install it because they had not done one in years (also they now are only a factory install option here as well)--and its one of the biggest BMW dealers in France.

So I'm guessing that the likelihood of a thief knowing about it or expecting it to be there is lower. Hopefully that will deter/send them away when they discover it. Second, while I'm sure that a good thief knows a way around it, its a pretty good system, with a backup battery and the siren is pretty well tucked out of the way and PITA to install. So probably not so easy to turn off. And the red blinker is a detterent of sorts as well. And its plug and play, and covered by the warranty, which means a lot to given the issues I've seen with poor installs.

I hope that most people don't get the alarm and view it (right or wrong) as a waste of money. The fewer out there the more likely my alarm will be an effective way to shoo off a thief off after they try to steal the car.

Keep in mind that given the level of sophistication of car thieves here in Europe, I also keep my cars here in a garage that looks a bit like the opening scene from Get Smart. And the 911s and Bentley's parked in the boxes around us are good distractions too I hope.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #19
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesisel View Post
Well I guess it would act as a deterrant, if a siren started whaling.....the average petty guy is not gonna be able to steal your M3 alarm or not......a pro however will be able to get it...alarm or not.

For me...im not gonna get one...will be kept in my garage....god forbid..something should arise.....thats why I have insurance....

and also..can't BMW track your vehicle as well?
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
I may be wrong then in saying the 08 don't work on 09s. I tried ordering the alarm from Tischer BMW and was told BMW has not released the alarm for the 09 and the 08 alarm will not work. Where did you get your alarm? Did you order the alarm already in the car from the factory or put it in after the car was delivered?
I ordered mine from Tischer about a month ago and it installed and works flawlessly on my 09
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #21
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Makes sense. Mine is a 09/08 build.
+1. Mine as well
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #22
jamesisel
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Jerez/Fox Red E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
My main reason was that I wanted audible confirmation when I locked or unlocked the car. Especially with CA, it is nice to have that little chirp to let you know that the car is secure.
Oh, ok. That's a pretty good reason.
Eisenmann Race Performance/VRS front lip 1x1/VRS type II diffuser 1x1/VRS single side trunk with Fade/19" HRE C90's/RE SSK/H&R Sport springs /35% tint/Painted reflectors/Painted side markers with dark tint LED's/Tinted tail lights/Front grilles/Hardwire V1
Appreciate 0