BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

BPM

04-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Laser sparks revolution in internal combustion engines

Read it here:

http://scienceblog.com/44560/laser-s...stion-engines/
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
CrazyJoe
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92

nice find
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:30 PM   #3
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
jdl1pt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe 2007 IL Blue

Wow, that's very cool. Thanks for posting. Just dreaming about the better gas milage....

|OEM Strut bar|ZHP Knob lighted|RPI Scoop|Zeckhausen Modified CDV|DIY Clutch Stop|Camber shim kit|
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
pretty cool glimpse into the future
      04-21-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
kresh
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E90

Everything is better with lasers.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is Vert AW

That article mentions many statements that are incorrect starting with:

1. lean air/fuel ratio's produce less NOx.

Air is 80-81% nitrogen, so by introducing more air or having lean combustion you will have more nitrogen as a by-product.

2. spark plugs are affected inside the cylinders due to high heat (strong spark) and optics wouldn't be.

What happens if the optics get covered in soot, are moved due to the energy of combustion, or fall out of alignment (lose their concentration of energy)? They'd stop working or destroy your engine!

3.relatively cold metals absorb heat

What is colder, your warmed up engine or your fuel or air being sucked in? Clearly an engine that is up to temperatures although it is colder is meant to disapate heat through the cooling system. Heat is a sign of a chemical reaction, but instead of heat they should be worried about force (moving the piston faster).

4.the laser is not strong enough to light the mixture uniformly from a single spot, they need multiple lasers.

Multiple spark plugs are used on airplanes-good idea since they run on high energy magnetos which have to fire in a timely manner only once per ignition! but with lasers, they have to time EACH of their multiple 800 picosecond pulses inorder to be able to get enough energy to light a very lean mixture.

FYI: Not only do I work in the field of combustion correction technologies, my brother is the leading scientist on ultra fast lasers and laser pulse shaping in the US. He works at fempto seconds which is 10 to the -15 (can't do exponents) they are talking about pico which is 10 to the -12...and 800 pico at that which is about 8,000 times slower than what lasers are capable of doing today.

Yes the article sounds cool but it's a bunch of junk.

Myth-busted.

Last edited by TotalPower; 04-21-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #8
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Ok Mr. know it all. I think it sounds cool - lasers at full power!
      04-21-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Sharks with friggin laser beams on top of their heads!
      04-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Sharks with friggin laser beams on top of their friggin heads!
Attached Images

04-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep

Sharks w/ laser beams will be fighting against boats w/ laser beams:

This article on the other hand- I think is pretty freaking cool:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tech...pon-fire-.html
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
Sharks with friggin laser beams on top of their heads!

good read though
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 01:48 AM   #13
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post
That article mentions many statements that are incorrect starting with:

1. lean air/fuel ratio's produce less NOx.

Air is 80-81% nitrogen, so by introducing more air or having lean combustion you will have more nitrogen as a by-product.

2. spark plugs are affected inside the cylinders due to high heat (strong spark) and optics wouldn't be.

What happens if the optics get covered in soot, are moved due to the energy of combustion, or fall out of alignment (lose their concentration of energy)? They'd stop working or destroy your engine!

3.relatively cold metals absorb heat

What is colder, your warmed up engine or your fuel or air being sucked in? Clearly an engine that is up to temperatures although it is colder is meant to disapate heat through the cooling system. Heat is a sign of a chemical reaction, but instead of heat they should be worried about force (moving the piston faster).

4.the laser is not strong enough to light the mixture uniformly from a single spot, they need multiple lasers.

Multiple spark plugs are used on airplanes-good idea since they run on high energy magnetos which have to fire in a timely manner only once per ignition! but with lasers, they have to time EACH of their multiple 800 picosecond pulses inorder to be able to get enough energy to light a very lean mixture.

FYI: Not only do I work in the field of combustion correction technologies, my brother is the leading scientist on ultra fast lasers and laser pulse shaping in the US. He works at fempto seconds which is 10 to the -15 (can't do exponents) they are talking about pico which is 10 to the -12...and 800 pico at that which is about 8,000 times slower than what lasers are capable of doing today.

Yes the article sounds cool but it's a bunch of junk.

Myth-busted.
I agree with a lot of what you said, but running lean can reduce NOx production. NOx is produced via two main mechanisms, thermal and prompt, both of which happen in IC engines. The main point of lean combustion is to lower combustion temperatures (because you are short of a stoichiometric ratio which generates the highest temperatures), which results in less NOx formation from the thermal pathway. Since reactions tend to be exponential with temperature, moderate decreases in T can significantly affect NOx levels. You will still have NOx via the "prompt" pathway. Here is an example of exhaust composition. You can see as you go leaner, you produce less NOx at the expense of more unburned hydrocarbons. The peak in NOx more or less corresponds with the peak temperature near stoichiometric conditions.

Quote:
The relatively cold metal of nearby electrodes and cylinder walls absorbs heat from the explosion, quenching the flame front just as it starts to expand.

Lasers, Taira explains, can focus their beams directly into the center of the mixture. Without quenching, the flame front expands more symmetrically and up to three times faster than those produced by spark plugs.
This is pretty much BS. Sure, if you spark close to the wall the flame front will take longer to move across the cylinder than if you spark in the dead center, but heat transfer to the block isn't going to major factor.

Also, the laminar flame speed is basically a fixed value for a fuel depending on equivalence ratio, turbulence, and combustion conditions, and there is no way to speed up a flame speed by changing the ignition location. Maybe he means the fuel in the cylinder can burn 3x as fast, but its not going to be due to flame speed enhancements. Here is a flame speed plot...

As you go leaner (< 1) the flame speed drops significantly, so I wouldn't be surprised if the flame speed in a lean combustion like described is actually slower than in a normal engine running at closer to stoichiometric ratios.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Too much science... losing interest....

So back to the original point of this post.... LASERS!!!!

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
TotalPower
Lieutenant
Rep

I am possitive that lean combustion will raise combustion temperatures since you are introducing more oxygen into the cylinder in order to more completely oxidize the fuel you are spraying-which is why you will see reduced fuel consumption and reduced CO/PM. Unfortunately, because air is mostly nitrogen, you raise NOx by going lean.
*Look after the vertical bar (stoich)...you see NOx go up, CO, PM go down. Since CO and PM go down that means you are getting more energy (heat and pressure) out of your fuel.

This is true only up until the point that the reaction is no longer stoich and you begin to be too lean and require more fuel.

Having richer combustion is a way to cool your engine down, because when fuel sprays into your combustion chamber it is in the form of a fine mist that is considerably colder than the internals and the spray will slightly vaporize but will dramatically reduce temperatures. This of course is not the best way to cool down an engine, but it works.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #16
AZCoyote
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Give me Plasma Arc plugs then we can talk...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #17
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalPower View Post

2. What happens if the optics get covered in soot, are moved due to the energy of combustion, or fall out of alignment (lose their concentration of energy)?
+1

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0