BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #133
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year's_End View Post
The CF roof is a borderline marketing gimmick that really only matters to hardcore enthusiasts. With the E92 M3, the CF weight savings are 11 lbs or 37 lbs compared to a steel roof or sunroof, respectively. It technically shifts the center of gravity downward which aids load transfer, but I bet the actual effect is imperceptible to most. It really just looks cool and gives an owner or manufacturer something to talk about.
I wish the M235i wasn't 3,500 pounds. I'd pick this Lexus with an NA V8 that only weights 400 pounds more over the boosted I6 that's out of control overweight for what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #134
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
I wish the M235i wasn't 3,500 pounds. I'd pick this Lexus with an NA V8 that only weights 400 pounds more over the boosted I6 that's out of control overweight for what it is.
If I was going with an automatic heavy coupe. I would just get a CTS-V, with the additional 100hp.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #135
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
If I was going with an automatic heavy coupe. I would just get a CTS-V, with the additional 100hp.
I like Naturally Aspirated engines.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #136
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I like Naturally Aspirated engines.
So do I. You had mentioned the M235i. If I was getting FI, it would be a supercharger.

The RC-F being nearly 4,000 lbs just kills this car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #137
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So do I. You had mentioned the M235i. If I was getting FI, it would be a supercharger.

The RC-F being nearly 4,000 lbs just kills this car.
Got ya! I thought you were comparing the RC-F to the CTS-V. I agree, if I wanted a heavy coupe, I'd just go with the CTS-V.

Comparing the CTS-V to the RC-F, I'd rather go with the RC-F. Good ol NA.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #138
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

I think if a few design elements were smoothed out, this thing would exceed many people's expectations.

Its just too heavy-handed in terms of flowing body lines.

Overall, its a partially botched and unrefined execution.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #139
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Got ya! I thought you were comparing the RC-F to the CTS-V. I agree, if I wanted a heavy coupe, I'd just go with the CTS-V.

Comparing the CTS-V to the RC-F, I'd rather go with the RC-F. Good ol NA.
It will be interesting to see what the price is on the RC-F. If it is near the RS5 in price, I would go RS5. The NA V8 in the RS5 is amazing revving to 8,500, plus you get a dual clutch transmission. Doesn't weight much more, even having awd.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #140
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what the price is on the RC-F. If it is near the RS5 in price, I would go RS5. The NA V8 in the RS5 is amazing revving to 8,500, plus you get a dual clutch transmission. Doesn't weight much more, even having awd.
We're on the same page.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #141
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

The RC F has a lot more torque than the RS5 (>520 Nm vs. <450 Nm), better steering an better handling. Assumption is based on current B8 and IS3 reviews.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #142
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Lexus RC F Chief Engineer Explains Why He Chose a V8

Quote:
We are eager to get our hands on Lexus newest performance coupe and we’re sure its going to be spectacular. But until later this year when its going to come out we’ll still have to feed our craving with photos, occasional videos and other information.

Speaking of information, Lexus chief engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi recently explained in an interview with Lexus Blog UK why he chose to fit this awesomely designed lump of car with a beefy 5-liter V8 naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

The thing is that unless you want to make a supercar these days, the hood of your new-designed sportscar is “recommended” to house a turbocharged engine with a capacity of around 3 liters in order to offer decent performance and stick with the harsh emission levels imposed by law.

Still, Lexus decided that fitting an engine in a performance coupe with turbo or superchargers is somehow like fitting a woman with silicone and botox to force its level of beautifulness. Which may look good at some levels, but then you know its fakery an it will come with certain disadvantages.

But Yaguchi-san is a purist and he considers that a sportscar should have a V8 heart, the heart of motorsport... at least in the past.

”First of all, the V8 engine format is the most appropriate for a sports car engine. The reason is that when we talk about sport driving, the torque feel – the acceleration – is most important, and that’s what the V8 format gives. This can also be said for the V10 in the LFA, but if you put under load the torque characteristic [of the V10] is very smooth, but as you go under load it [the V8] gives almost a heartbeat feeling,” explained Yaguchi.

seethrough from behind⌕ seethrough from behindThis explains the part of the right feelings you’ll get from the RC F, but how the engineers solved the emission and fuel consumption issues dictated by the Euro 6 laws? Well, you know Toyota and Lexus have a special affair with the variable valve timing, right? Now there’s your answer.

“By adjusting the valve opening, we can change the engine’s performance – making it run like an Atkinson cycle engine. This gives you an equivalent downsizing of 800cc, and the efficiency of a 4.2-litre engine.” further explained Yaguchi-san. “Of course, when you go to a wide-open throttle, you get the Otto cycle so get maximum power, [and] being naturally aspirated, you get a really high responsiveness.”

The issues of using a smaller six-cylinder bi-turbo engine like BMW does has been also disputed. The reason was that the car would have gone to complex and not offer the same responsiveness. However, regarding the company’s future plans for turbocharged engines, Yaguchi said this naturally aspirated technology won’t be able to cut it out and turbos won’t be that avoidable.

the mighty one⌕ the mighty one So, unless the automaker has another supercar on the drawing board, this might be the last naturally aspired performance V8 Lexus will put out.
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/le...source=home-up
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #143
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
that's nice

how about a 4000 lb "sports car" with an automatic only gearbox? is that purist?

Id say the turbocharged F40 is a hell of a lot more of a sports car than this overweight land yacht

Gimme a break, Lexus
      03-22-2014, 03:56 PM   #144
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

M4 vs. RC F

At this year's Detroit auto show, BMW unveiled the much-anticipated M4, while about 200 feet away, Lexus debuted its radical new RC F. Both are high-performance 400-plus-hp coupes that will go head to head on the street and track in the coming months. I sat down with the two men behind each -- Albert Biermann, vice president of engineering, BMW M, and Yukihiko Yaguchi, deputy chief engineer, Lexus F -- and posed the same five questions. Their answers might surprise you.

What car did you benchmark?

Biermann: The predecessor, first of all. That was our main benchmark. The target was to make the best M3 ever. Now we call the coupe the M4, but the job was to make the best M3.

Yaguchi: No benchmark. I don't care about the competitors. I want to create what I want, which is a really high-performance car offering driving pleasure to anybody, even regular drivers.

What is the best high-performance car out there today?

Biermann: That is a hard to answer question because I think we need to cut this in slices for segments, you know? But the best one would be the M1 successor -- if there were a successor.

Yaguchi: Porsche 911.

If you were to give the previous car a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being best, what number would you give the M4/RC F?

Biermann: Oh, that's a tough one. I mean, if it comes to lap times, speeds, overall acceleration, then we would be in a different league than the M1 successor. As a driver's car and driving involvement, it pretty much goes to a 10.

Yaguchi: The Porsche has different axis to measure. The 911 goes this direction and the RC F goes that direction. So, 10 score 911; 10 score RC F. Just different axis.

What are the five things about your car that you'd want people to know?

Biermann: First of all, to go on with the tradition of bringing race car technology onto the road. That's the job of the M3 and the M4. And there's a lot of race car concept in the new car. Then, our completely new engine, where we bring the high-revving aspects of the predecessor's naturally aspirated engine together with the efficiency and the performance of a modern -- very modern -- turbo engine. Then all the focus we put on the car regarding light weight. There's so much technological substance in the new M4, with carbon-fiber technology, like a carbon-fiber driveshaft, carbon-fiber roof. The trunklid inside layer is carbon fiber, so it's lighter, less weight than the predecessor. That's a very important statement. And then, for sure, the precision and the agility of the driving experience. We put a lot of effort into developing everything around the steering system -- the kinematics, the front axle, the rear axle, how they interact, and that was a big focus on the car. Last one is performance on a racetrack. This is not a pretender. Like all the M3s before, this a track car.

Yaguchi: First of all, styling -- the coupe design. And then the engine -- the new engine we're going to introduce. And then the handling, with a really rigid body. Then the fourth: electronic devices, which help not only just professional drivers, but those beginner drivers, who can drive really easily and enjoy. And last, everybody can be smiling when they drive the RC F.

What are your thoughts on the RC F/M4?

Biermann: I need to understand more about the technology [Lexus] put into it. If [RC F] is just another IS F with a big engine, that would not make a competitor to an M3. I can only imagine that, for their customers, [5.0-liter V-8 and eight-speed automatic] is the right way to go. That would definitely not be the right way to go for our customers. We have kind of a race car engine -- the character of our engine is almost like a race car engine. Very precise, although it's a turbo, but it's very responsive and it revs up to 7600 rpm. Very sharp. And it's a car for the track.

Yaguchi: It's kind of typical M product, which means they don't change horsepower quite a lot, but they just reduced the weight to enhance the driving performance—the typical M way. So, that's my observation. At this moment, for Lexus F, we think the non-turbo engine provides the best performance balance and also response. But I don't want to reject any performance engine's potential. If needed, I'm going to certainly study. I want to provide linear torque and power by a naturally aspirated engine.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1403_fiv...#ixzz2wic15HzL
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #145
majin ssj eric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Sedan

Sounds like both guys are confident in their designs. I agree with the Lexus engineer though that I'd personally rather have the big V8 over the turbo 6 personally. If I were younger and still into modding the turbo 6 would certainly be better as there's probably going to be tons of free hp available on the aftermarket but at this stage in my life I like a "set it and forget it" experience anymore and the V8 will just be easier all around...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #146
Kakodo
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sports Car

The M3/M4 hasn't even been released yet - there are no real world reports on how it performs - there are no road tests - there are no owners reporting back. Wait until there is some real evidence upon which to make an informed comment. Otherwise it is just flapping gums - empty vessels make the most noise!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 09:56 AM   #147
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric View Post
Sounds like both guys are confident in their designs. I agree with the Lexus engineer though that I'd personally rather have the big V8 over the turbo 6 personally. If I were younger and still into modding the turbo 6 would certainly be better as there's probably going to be tons of free hp available on the aftermarket but at this stage in my life I like a "set it and forget it" experience anymore and the V8 will just be easier all around...
We'll have to wait and see how much potential the S55 has. Just like NA engines, FI engines also can be close to full potential from factory, just because the engine design cannot yield more performance. The S55 is still based on the 10 old N54.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakodo View Post
The M3/M4 hasn't even been released yet - there are no real world reports on how it performs - there are no road tests - there are no owners reporting back. Wait until there is some real evidence upon which to make an informed comment. Otherwise it is just flapping gums - empty vessels make the most noise!
Well, the M3/M4 guys already ruled out the all the competitors, including the not even unveiled C 63 AMG.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #148
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

RC-F from KeePer TOM's racing team has won the SuperGT Round 1 GT500 class.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #149
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

So has the weight of the RC-F been confirmed. Last I read it was 3,968 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #150
secretsquirrel
Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The sound of the LFA give me chills every time I hear it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #151
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I would take the LFA over an Enzo/F40/50 in a heartbeat. Man the Japs really did that thing right.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:46 PM   #152
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
The sound of the LFA give me chills every time I hear it.
+1000

I always loved the LFA scene from F&F.

That V10 shriek has so much presence it's ridiculous. Some cars have presence based on how they look. The LFA has presence based on how it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #153
Uber V8
Volcano Knuckles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE

You guys remember the LFA promotional video? I must have watched (I should say listened) to this video multiple times, specifically at 1:08.

Exhaust note tuned by Yamaha. Still gives me the chills.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #154
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Video of black RC-F on the road -

The side profile is somewhat elegant I suppose. As expected the front looks less offensive in black although it's hard to tell.
Appreciate 0