BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #45
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINHEAD View Post
the same thread is probably created on mercedes forums.
+1, as well as GTR, porsche, audi, etc
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #46
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
Pull up real close to me and rev their engines and take off?

This has happened to me 4 times in the last 10 days...so I had to post it.

The idiot did it to me today even though the light was red 300 feet ahead and he had to brake hard to catch his left turn. Just to show off to me? What do I care about a c63? If I liked that car, I would have bot it
Maybe all of the Mustang drivers that do that graduate up to C63's as their next car!
      04-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #47
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouphidelt View Post
It does seem like everyone has something to prove to the M in the next lane.

I actually had an experience this morning...

It was nice. I had the top down. I had my CC set at 67 mph. Minding my own business after the gym and on my way to work. I had an older woman in a new Hyundai literally cut across three lanes to cut me off (I had to SLAM on my brakes to avoid hitting her). I didn't even honk my horn, but I did throw up my hands as if to say WTF??! She returned the finger.

It gets better...I pulled up next to her at the next intersection and she rolls her window down and says "If you couldn't afford the accident, you shouldn't be driving the car...next time my new car is on you, rich boy!"
I would have smiled and said "have a nice day, ma'am".
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:27 PM   #48
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

People really need to think about why they bought an M3......

I think I am in a perfect position to answer this question. I sold my 2007 Audi RS4 last August and have been researching my next car ever since. I just recently placed an order for my new M3 after considering MANY choices.

The M3 is in the class of high-end small luxury-perfomance cars. These cars are not only about going fast. They provide a level of refinement, luxury, style, prestige. Each car has its pros and cons. the RS4 had it's incredible sound, motor and AWD grip. The C63 has it's incredible sound and blistering straight line thrust. The M3 has it's gorgeous styling, intoxicating motor and super-sharp responses.

If you want a pure sports car for a similar amount of money, get a Porsche Cayman S.

If you want to win a stoplight drag, there are A LOT of cars that can be relatively cheaply modded and blow the doors off an M3. So lets not talk about "what car is faster". That WRX in the lane next to you may be packing 500lb-ft of torque.

What makes the M3 so special and such a legendary vehicle is the TOTAL PACKAGE as you can get it from the factory and the overall unparalleled pleasure derived from the subjective driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #49
mtriggatrey
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

I love how some people here are saying M3 drivers think their cars are the best. That may be true in many cases, but honestly, The AMG guys think they are driving batmobiles and think they are faster than everyone on the road. in all honesty, I hate the way they sound. Euro cars shouldnt sound like that. I came from an SRT-8 hemi to my M3, so I know all about muscle car noises and how good they sound. It just doesn't go well with euro cars. And so what if the c63 is fast in a straight line? there is no refinement in the car, it is basically a motor, rear axle and 4 wheels, the ride is stiff, it cant put the power down to the ground, horrible interior, their user interface for the nav and all that is tough to use, and you pay 20gs more for all of that vs. the M3. Sure, the M3 is not the best car in the world. It is not the fastest car in the world. But it sure as hell is up there. When you see guys in C63's, they give off this cocky vibe as if they have the fastest car in the world. they dont. that is what I dont like about mercedes philosophy. I see them as the European muscle car; fast in a straight line, lots of torque, big engines, but when it comes to quality and refinement, they are out to lunch. Again, im not saying the M3 is the best car in the world, but seriously, I would rather have that than the c63 hands down.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #50
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

last time some a*shole did that to me I rolled down my window and said "this d*ck isn't going to suck itself"..

he then felt like an idiot and stopped waisting gas LOL

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #51
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtriggatrey View Post
I love how some people here are saying M3 drivers think their cars are the best. That may be true in many cases, but honestly, The AMG guys think they are driving batmobiles and think they are faster than everyone on the road. in all honesty, I hate the way they sound. Euro cars shouldnt sound like that. I came from an SRT-8 hemi to my M3, so I know all about muscle car noises and how good they sound. It just doesn't go well with euro cars. And so what if the c63 is fast in a straight line? there is no refinement in the car, it is basically a motor, rear axle and 4 wheels, the ride is stiff, it cant put the power down to the ground, horrible interior, their user interface for the nav and all that is tough to use, and you pay 20gs more for all of that vs. the M3. Sure, the M3 is not the best car in the world. It is not the fastest car in the world. But it sure as hell is up there. When you see guys in C63's, they give off this cocky vibe as if they have the fastest car in the world. they dont. that is what I dont like about mercedes philosophy. I see them as the European muscle car; fast in a straight line, lots of torque, big engines, but when it comes to quality and refinement, they are out to lunch. Again, im not saying the M3 is the best car in the world, but seriously, I would rather have that than the c63 hands down.
I like both cars. I enjoy the cocky vibe in my C63 and I look forward to the profound refinement of the M3 I have on order.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #52
Sincity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vs C63-undecided.EDIT: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by E=mc2 View Post
oh boy, can't wait this to happen to me....
Same here. This kind of douchness only happens when I drive the 190e.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2meg00se View Post
I'm guilty of this.

For whatever reason, I love feasting on Infinit G37S's. I think that maybe this desire stems from the fact that the G37S looks as if it should be so much faster than it actually is.

But yeah, at least at times, I'm that guy. Haha, oh well .
Ahh...there is one I would like to school in my area. The douche thought he was all that while tailgating me on the 190e and swinging out to blow past me. I see him again 2 other times doing that to other cars with a lower power-to-weight ratio. Now there is a douche.

Kleemanized C63

Last edited by Sincity; 04-22-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #53
ttt
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
In any event, it's wise to not take them up on it, even if you're on a limited-access open road with no traffic around, because:

A) In cars like these, throw-the-key-away speeds are only seconds away.
B) You're almost certainly going to lose.
Couldn't have said it better myself. C63 drivers do this because they know they can embarrass M3s in a straight line.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 01:22 AM   #54
SCCAForums.com
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race Cars

Ghost is dead on... sad that 'some' M3 drivers act this way.. don't race if you don't want to... but the cars are 'compared' all the time... and it's only natural for a few to want to 'stretch'...

M3 drivers need to understand... you don't have more money, or a better car than the guy in the IS-F, or C63, or Porsche... it's their 'preference'... that's all.

Enjoy the cars...
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #55
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

The M3 says class, style
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #56
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
The M3 says class, style
Post was cutoff...

As I was saying... The M3 says class, style
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #57
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Maybe all of the Mustang drivers that do that graduate up to C63's as their next car!
Irony Alert

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460021
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #58
davcrz5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M Sport 2011, ISF 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
+1

Some of you need to get over yourself.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #59
attila
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mclaren 650s, 2015 GTS4,

We BMW drivers are not better than the rest, I just wanted to add to this pointless thread.
I meet regularly with a 328i coupe on the the road during my regular commute. He pulled up to me a few times, gave me once or twice the thumb up. Recently I was driving the GT3 RS just to add some miles, and he really wanted to race?? Same with a Kia optima with a big spoiler just a few miles later???
Some people just wants some fun I guess with no bad intent, not mean to chalange you. Maybe just see your car "in action". (It's hard to imagine someone really would want to chalange a GT3 RS with a Kia.)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #60
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
This is normal behaviour. I drove 5.0 Mustangs for years and the most common "wanna race?" guys were other 5.0 Mustangs. We'd get it on and then at the next light as, "Which gear you got, what mods." Almost ALL Mustangs are modded. It's as much comraderie as competition.

If someone pulls up in a hot 'benz, give 'em the thumbs up, but realize that may be taken as a sign that you want to race. A polite wave means "no thanks."

Remember, no matter how strong your skills, street racing is very dangerous because you have no idea of the skills and judgement of the other driver. I've looked in my mirror more than once and seen someone spinning behind me (even on a straight). Hence, I try to resist. If I can't, then it's a very short blast and then off. I'd much rather take a timed track run or AutoX run.

If you can't resist, remember that against a 'benz or 'stang you need RPM or you're toast. M3s are actually more demanding when it comes to getting max acceleration.

Dave
      04-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #61
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

all of my observations are in relation to the e90. I love the fact that with 4 doors I can go to a track and drive the kids home while stopping for groceries. There's lots of discussion about compromises, performance vs. civility and I think this is where the M3 really is in a class all by itself. I for one will most likely never drive the ring and if anyone can recommend a track even half the length of the ring in the states then i'll give it up to a cts-v but on american tracks, almost never longer than 4 mi., that car is too big and its weight really shows. As a car my wife can drive to work, I can run errands with, and keep up with porsches and even v10 r8's (I mean beat R8's, I know cause i was faster all weekend than one, and that also goes for vettes and porsches too) ,makes this an unbeatable package IMO... I know, same driver those cars are faster, but they don't have 4 doors for 2 car seats and enough boot space for the stroller! This is the PERFECT car for ME or any other daddies who can't have just 2 doors and want a bit o' weekend fun, the c63 is a different car, not as focused for track duty but probably better as a GT car. I'm happy with my purchase, are you???
      04-23-2011, 03:49 PM   #62
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
This is normal behaviour. I drove 5.0 Mustangs for years and the most common "wanna race?" guys were other 5.0 Mustangs. We'd get it on and then at the next light as, "Which gear you got, what mods." Almost ALL Mustangs are modded. It's as much comraderie as competition.

If someone pulls up in a hot 'benz, give 'em the thumbs up, but realize that may be taken as a sign that you want to race. A polite wave means "no thanks."

Remember, no matter how strong your skills, street racing is very dangerous because you have no idea of the skills and judgement of the other driver. I've looked in my mirror more than once and seen someone spinning behind me (even on a straight). Hence, I try to resist. If I can't, then it's a very short blast and then off. I'd much rather take a timed track run or AutoX run.

If you can't resist, remember that against a 'benz or 'stang you need RPM or you're toast. M3s are actually more demanding when it comes to getting max acceleration.

Dave
I don't even think people always want to "race". They want to "enthusiast bond". Let's face it, we all enjoy cruising along fast with one or two other performance cars, irrespective of what they are.

And....FWIW, I know someone with a 700hp WRX Sti that will blow the doors of any M, S, R, A, B, C, D or whatever letters your stock automobile has in its name. I still wouldn't want to own it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #63
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

^I agree that cruising at a quick pace with other cars can be fun and is no where near racing.

Ever see a nice car driving super slow and wish it would step on the gas. I might not be revving the guy, but would want the same outcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #64
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

I love having M cars do that with my X5M because we all know we're complimenting each other. However, having Corvettes and AMG's doing that is pretty funny and lame.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #65
col.faith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3 edition AW

I've had a Toyota Camary Cab doing it to me =_=|| What's wrong with people nowadays...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #66
shchow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

The 3 years I had my M5 only 2 cars ever acted like douches and tried to race me, and they were both M3's...