BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m4

Rear spoiler on my car a good idea?

Hey everyone,
New to the forum here and I wanted to say what a pleasure it has been to search and view through all the excellent threads on this forums. I have learned a lot from all the members here.

I'm a proud new owner of a 2013 white m3 dct model. I have opted for the sunroof instead of the carbon top. My question to everyone is, do you think the CF OEM trunk spoiler would look good on my car being I don't have a carbon roof? I have done much searching and can't find any pics of a spoiler on an m3 that didn't have the CF top.

Personally I think it would look good and add a nice little touch to the car.
Wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

Also how strong can this spoiler be??

I called the dealer and they told me about the OEM glue kit to order. I have read several posts and see many people use 3m tape, which I don't want to use as my car is a lease and heard the link glue is most strong in this case, only need it to last for 3 years as that's how long my lease is for. How strong can the OEM glue be and will this fin stay on for the taking? To me it seems it would be delicate.. Could I even use car washes? Does the dealer provide waranty if it falls off while driving at high speeds? anyone ever have problems in that area that used the OEM glue kit? Any info on all of the above would be great. Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
MA///M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 DCT COUPE

I don't think you should do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

OEM performance spoiler is great with or without the CF roof. I'd highly recommend 3M tape if the car is a lease since if you use the Betalink adhesive it's pretty much part of the trunk. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondula View Post
Hey everyone,
New to the forum here and I wanted to say what a pleasure it has been to search and view through all the excellent threads on this forums. I have learned a lot from all the members here.

I'm a proud new owner of a 2013 white m3 dct model. I have opted for the sunroof instead of the carbon top. My question to everyone is, do you think the CF OEM trunk spoiler would look good on my car being I don't have a carbon roof? I have done much searching and can't find any pics of a spoiler on an m3 that didn't have the CF top.

Personally I think it would look good and add a nice little touch to the car.
Wanted to see what everyone else thinks?

Also how strong can this spoiler be??

I called the dealer and they told me about the OEM glue kit to order. I have read several posts and see many people use 3m tape, which I don't want to use as my car is a lease and heard the link glue is most strong in this case, only need it to last for 3 years as that's how long my lease is for. How strong can the OEM glue be and will this fin stay on for the taking? To me it seems it would be delicate.. Could I even use car washes? Does the dealer provide waranty if it falls off while driving at high speeds? anyone ever have problems in that area that used the OEM glue kit? Any info on all of the above would be great. Thanks all.
If your car is a lease, then you should use the tape. The betalink is a lot more permanent than the 3M tape is. I would stick with tape if you're set on doing it. The original trunk lip is taped on, and it's super easy to remove.

You can order the spoiler from a lot of vendors here in plain CF or they can paint it. Mine is painted white on the top and CF on the bottom. Looks just right for what I was going for. I have the CF roof.

Since you don't have the CF roof, I would order a painted one, or order one and have it paint matched to your trunk. It'll match a lot better.
      12-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks all for the advise.. My dealer price matched a price I got off the net. $440 which is great that they did that for me.. I love the look of the raw carbon, would never paint it.

I was told by my dealer once this spoiler is installed, to only use touch less car washes and to be careful with it..

Don't really need to use the tape because I will turn the car in with the spoiler, won't want it anymore as my next car will prob be the new m4 and this one wont fit

Has anyone had any issues with their spoiler using the beta link glue? Just how strong can this glue be?
Hope my dealer does I nice job installing it. They said they have done a few of them.

Last edited by dondula; 12-13-2012 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Thanks all for the advise.. My dealer price matched a price I got off the net. $440 which is great that they did that for me.. I love the look of the raw carbon, would never paint it.

I was told by my dealer once this spoiler is installed, to only use touch less car washes and to be careful with it..

Don't really need to use the tape because I will turn the car in with the spoiler, won't want it anymore as my next car will prob be the new m4 and this one wont fit

Has anyone had any issues with their spoiler using the beta link glue? Just how strong can this glue be?
Hope my dealer does I nice job installing it. They said they have done a few of them.
I can vouch for the OEM Bettalink glue. That shit is strong! There is no way in hell that thing is coming off intentionally or not. I dont see how people use tape. The contact surface of the spoiler isnt very big to apply tape. And the down-force (little as it may be) seems like it would rip the spoiler right off.. That being said, I have seen several posters on here who swear by the tape, and also several that have had their spoiler fly off on the freeway. I have never seen anybody lose a spoiler when using Bettalink. Mine has been on my car for 2 years and is still strong as ever. The car has even been through high pressure washes with no problem.

I chose to paint just the top of my spoiler so that it flows with the car more and doesnt look like something I just slapped on. To each its own though. I like that you can still see the CF from the back.
Attached Images

12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Wow yours looks great, and I even love the paint job. Thanks for all the info
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I can vouch for the OEM Bettalink glue. That shit is strong! There is no way in hell that thing is coming off intentionally or not. I dont see how people use tape. The contact surface of the spoiler isnt very big to apply tape. And the down-force (little as it may be) seems like it would rip the spoiler right off.. That being said, I have seen several posters on here who swear by the tape, and also several that have had their spoiler fly off on the freeway. I have never seen anybody lose a spoiler when using Bettalink. Mine has been on my car for 2 years and is still strong as ever. The car has even been through high pressure washes with no problem.

I chose to paint just the top of my spoiler so that it flows with the car more and doesnt look like something I just slapped on. To each its own though. I like that you can still see the CF from the back.
Wow! Up I-70, that must tighten your sphincter?!

Just remember OP if you use betalink when you remove that spoiler at end of lease you will likely have paint damage to repair before replacing OEM spoiler. If you're good with that I'd say leave the Performance spoiler unpainted and slap it on! I will probably put one on soon.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
Wow! Up I-70, that must tighten your sphincter?!

Just remember OP if you use betalink when you remove that spoiler at end of lease you will likely have paint damage to repair before replacing OEM spoiler. If you're good with that I'd say leave the Performance spoiler unpainted and slap it on! I will probably put one on soon.
I'm turning the lease in with the spoiler.. Not tearing off anything. Was told as long as its 100% bmw parts, then mods are okay
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
I'm turning the lease in with the spoiler.. Not tearing off anything. Was told as long as its 100% bmw parts, then mods are okay
Go for it!

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I used betalink for my splitters and spoiler on my last M3. That's the way to go if you don't plan on removing. The bad: Beta link can be a pain to work with, the stuff just ends up on everything. You've gotta be johnny on the spot with the remover to clean up. The good: You're spoiler won't come off if you use betalink. I personally wouldn't trust tape with this spoiler, it's got a decent size bill that has quite a bit of down force on it at speed.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
RogeM3
Ultrasiete
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post

Cool Tag! Do you or Anyone out there knows if I can put the performance rear spoiler on an E93 M3! I love that spoiler but I can't seem to find one for my car
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

You may want to check out IND-Distribution's BMW OEM CF spoiler with CRT paint scheme to give it a subtle but differentiated look. The 3M Tape is very strong, and gives you the option of parting out your spoiler (good market for them) and reinstalling the original at lease return.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #14
e92involved
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW e92 M3

Sunroof with rear spoiler...very happy with it!
Attached Images

12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #15
dondula
First Lieutenant
Rep

Do you guys think my dealer will do a good job? Or should I take it to a special high end body shop.. Worried the tech will get glue everywhere and not put it I. Straight.

Can I trust my dealer?
Appreciate 0