BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
Franken///M
A70
Germany
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbrain View Post
I dont get people always knocking dinan's tune. They are actually one of the few that bump the rev limiter up to 8600 and everyone on here religiously praise the high-revving engine as their absolute favorite component of this car. It seems pretty cheap to spend 800 bucks for 200 extra RPMS-how many cars do you know that have 8600 rpms.

Think of it this way-if bmw from the factory offered an option with 425hp and 8600 RPM who would not buy this for 800 bucks? That is the price of a few floormats for the M!

I would go for it simply for the increase revs
Does anyone know for sure that then engine can handle the increased revs over its life span? Most of the tunners leave the red line alone.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #46
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franken///M View Post
Does anyone know for sure that then engine can handle the increased revs over its life span? Most of the tunners leave the red line alone.
I assume Dinan, which is usually rather conservative and puts plenty of emphasis on R&D, would not change the limit should it pose a drastic threat to the car's life.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Black everything.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #47
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

A lot of stuff written by folks with no experience with Dinan. I have a Dinan tune and here's what you get.
1)Dealer installed, which means no games and no having to hide shit.
2)It's loaded directly into the OBDII without removing the ECU.
3)Unlimited flashes (one of the best qualities) so if you bring your car in for oil and come back 3 hours later and the SA tells you your car needed an ECU update...bye bye tune. With Dinan, they reload you for free (no labor cost either)
4) Car runs much better and is more reponsive
5) Higher and smoother red-line
6) No top-speed limiter
7) No Warranty issue (quote: Michael Keravich, SA, Habberstad BMW)

Its something to enhance the performance without causing problems in the long run. Yes it's 9hp, but why? Do you think they intentionally left HP on the table to be dicks? I think Steve Dinan knows a little more about BMWs and tuning than, what ever his name is...the guy in the YouTube video.

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #48
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

I can't see raising the RPMs to 8600 being bad but I'd be a little concerned if it was going from 8,300 to 9,300.
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #49
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
I can't see raising the RPMs to 8600 being bad but I'd be a little concerned if it was going from 8,300 to 9,300.
Agreed.

If I had to bet actually, the increased RPMs was probably just a by-product of the valve timing they used rather than a goal of Dinan's project.

200 RPMs isnt hurting (or changing) anything.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #50
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

What sold me on the Dinan tune was the Dinan university expose. I agree with the warranty stuff as well, but Dinan is a total pro outfit from top to bottom. This is a good read: http://www.dinancars.com/university/

Both the "software engineering" and "Dyno testing" make reference to the games played with software. Someday these guys will start actually posting 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in addition to HP gains. Throttle map chicanery is a major source of confusion as well. Perceived gains due to aggressive throttle mapping is a common trick.

Not to say some other tunes don't work but I think Dinan has deep resources and a local presence. Some other tuners have questionable distribution methods with Joe sixpack plugging into your 70k + car's ECU in a 7-11 parking lot asking for cash only.
      03-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #51
birdbrain
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

I honestly do not think you can compare tunes in any practical fashion based on just hp. Where does that 9hp come in and how much AUC increase does it produce. Also in performance is having another 200RPMS to work with going to be more helpful than 20hp in performance sprints to 60 and the 1/4 miles-perhaps as I do not know the answer.

Not to mention the fun and sound of having more revs. You do not always feel 20hp but you would enjoy a higher spun engine daily.

And obviously if you are catless then its less important but most who knock the tune are not catless and therefore benefit from not having to hide their tune or risk a claim being denied.

I guess nobody has done consistent real world runs with different tunes and shown that there is any real world difference in benefit between dinan and any other tune out there. Personally warranty, more revs and 10 hp is worth 800
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #52
1MORELAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 911 GTS '19 X3, X5, X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
A lot of stuff written by folks with no experience with Dinan. I have a Dinan tune and here's what you get.
3)Unlimited flashes (one of the best qualities) so if you bring your car in for oil and come back 3 hours later and the SA tells you your car needed an ECU update...bye bye tune. With Dinan, they reload you for free (no labor cost either)
6) No top-speed limiter

Its something to enhance the performance without causing problems in the long run. Yes it's 9hp, but why? Do you think they intentionally left HP on the table to be dicks? I think Steve Dinan knows a little more about BMWs and tuning than, what ever his name is...the guy in the YouTube video.
Unlimited flashes? I assume that is a dealer policy NOT a Dinan policy?
      03-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #53
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MORELAP View Post
Unlimited flashes? I assume that is a dealer policy NOT a Dinan policy?
Dinan & Dealer. Re-Flashes are unlimited because they understand the trouble that can be caused by periodic updates.

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #54
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dinan & Dealer. Re-Flashes are unlimited because they understand the trouble that can be caused by periodic updates.
Well and their system is great now for software... just plug in, access DINAN's server and do it instantly over the internet. No ECU removal and shipping nonsense, very quick on my car yesterday.
2011.5 E92 M3 Jet Black, DCT, Competition, Premium 2, and Convenience Packages, Black Novillo, Enhanced Premium Sound, 15% Tint, Black Kidneys/Reflectors/Gills/Roundels, DINAN Full Exhaust, DINAN Tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #55
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmflukeiii View Post
Well and their system is great now for software... just plug in, access DINAN's server and do it instantly over the internet. No ECU removal and shipping nonsense, very quick on my car yesterday.
Wait, you were able to do it yourself and avoid the dealer 1hr. labor charge? Where did you buy the OBDII relay cord?
      03-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #56
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
Wait, you were able to do it yourself and avoid the dealer 1hr. labor charge? Where did you buy the OBDII relay cord?
Ha no no, sorry to mislead, I meant they can do that... I meant just much easier than some of these horror stories I've read about people's ECUs being shipping all around the country and their car being stranded.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #57
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Just to reiterate what many on here have said.

I got the Dinan Middle Exhaust software to use with my Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust. My reason for going with Dinan was the fact that my dealer installed the software and reassured me that I would have no issues with warranty down the road since it was Dinan and they installed it in-house.

There may be software out there that makes a bit more power but the Dinan software drives/acts like OEM and the dealer support/peace of mind you get with Dinan is the main reason I chose it.
      03-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #58
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post

I got the Dinan Middle Exhaust software to use with my Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust. My reason for going with Dinan was the fact that my dealer installed the software and reassured me that I would have no issues with warranty down the road since it was Dinan and they installed it in-house.

There may be software out there that makes a bit more power but the Dinan software drives/acts like OEM and the dealer support/peace of mind you get with Dinan is the main reason I chose it.
My dealer was quite different. "We don't support Dinan, you will have to deal with them on any problems." That response, combined with Dinan saying that they won't warranty the middle exhaust software, is what keeps me away.
      03-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #59
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
6) No top-speed limiter

Well said ........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #60
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

[/QUOTE]
My dealer was quite different. "We don't support Dinan, you will have to deal with them on any problems." That response, combined with Dinan saying that they won't warranty the middle exhaust software, is what keeps me away.[/QUOTE]

Same position...smh
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #61
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I don't believe all these excessive power gains that everyone's claiming... 18 hp from an intake? C'mon... I think Dinan quotes it real.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #62
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
My dealer was quite different. "We don't support Dinan, you will have to deal with them on any problems." That response, combined with Dinan saying that they won't warranty the middle exhaust software, is what keeps me away.
Sounds like your dealer sucks!
      03-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #63
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your dealer sucks!
True!
      03-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #64
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:

I also had the Dinan software flashed at my BMW dealer, no issues. It was the racing middle software, and they are fully aware of all my mods.
      03-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #65
jmflukeiii
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I also had the Dinan software flashed at my BMW dealer, no issues. It was the racing middle software, and they are fully aware of all my mods.
My dealer tried to sell me a full Dinan exhaust with corresponding software not 10 more than minutes after buying my car.
Appreciate 0