BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-17-2010, 02:11 AM   #23
R A W L S
R A W L S
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I use this "launch control lite" function a lot. Someone mentioned it feels a lot like the way a manual clutch dump feels, I agree. And it is sooo much fun. One more reason to love the DCT. Nothing is wrong with your car, in fact, it couldn't be any better! I like using this function for quick starts at autocross events, it requires careful throttle modulation to minimize wheel spin, but once you get the hang of it it's a pretty quick way off the line. Remember, for it to work, DSC must be off. I'm usually also in the DCT S mode. Enjoy!

Last edited by R A W L S; 08-17-2010 at 02:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #24
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Gotcha. Yeah, like I said earlier, I've never tried to interrupt the sequence by lifting really quick. Interesting that you can do it, and yes, I agree you could probably feather it yourself and get an even better launch.

I found LC to be quickest at the drag strip, but with practice this might provide a good alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
That's correct. But, you have to be fast with the release, almost anticipating it. I estimate the time interval between snapping the throttle and clutch engagement of about 1 second, definitely less than 2. Not something to play with unless you have clear sailing ahead. When I decided to leave it open throttle to see what happens, it engaged at about the instant I was previously releasing the throttle. It would probably be a very quick way off the line, if you practiced feathering the throttle an instant after engagement to control wheel spin a bit. But it's not something that especially interests me, so I'll leave it alone now that I know how it works.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #25
M3Fool
Loves FFDP
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 SOLD 11 5.0 'Stang

I have not done it yet....... I have chirpped the tires a few times in 1-2 and 2-3 paddle shifts......... guess I am still stuck on conventional clutch thought. Burned a few clutches out in my Mustang doing burnouts.
      08-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #26
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A W L S View Post
I use this "launch control lite" function a lot. Someone mentioned it feels a lot like the way a manual clutch dump feels, I agree. And it is sooo much fun. One more reason to love the DCT. Nothing is wrong with your car, in fact, it couldn't be any better! I like using this function for quick starts at autocross events, it requires careful throttle modulation to minimize wheel spin, but once you get the hang of it it's a pretty quick way off the line. Remember, for it to work, DSC must be off. I'm usually also in the DCT S mode. Enjoy!
I was pretty sure this "LC lite" feature does not require DSC to be off. Lighting up the rear wheels certainly requires DSC off, but I am pretty sure I have got the LC lite clutch poping to work with DSC in M Dynamic Mode.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I was pretty sure this "LC lite" feature does not require DSC to be off. Lighting up the rear wheels certainly requires DSC off, but I am pretty sure I have got the LC lite clutch poping to work with DSC in M Dynamic Mode.
Definitely swamp. It will behave that way regardless of DSC setting. Obivously DSC will kick in if its not OFF, less so in MDM mode than ON of course.
Appreciate 0