BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

05-17-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M6 CP

Rubbing issues

I just installed my club sports the other day with spacers and the rears keep rubbing when I hit bumps. What can I do to stop it? The spacers in the rear are 15mm which are a little aggressive but I really like how popped out the wheels are! Has anyone rolled their fenders to stop rubbing or can this even be done on an m3? Or should I just get a smaller spacer and how small is my question? Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I have no issues running the 15mm rears.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 4 Life View Post
I just installed my club sports the other day with spacers and the rears keep rubbing when I hit bumps. What can I do to stop it? The spacers in the rear are 15mm which are a little aggressive but I really like how popped out the wheels are! Has anyone rolled their fenders to stop rubbing or can this even be done on an m3? Or should I just get a smaller spacer and how small is my question? Thanks for any info!
was it aligned perfectly? sometimes, tweaking the alignment can rectify the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep

As far as alignment it's feeling great. I feel like the rubbing is a little to much every time there is a bigger than normal bump it rubs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
YouW1n
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06 M6 Gran Coupe

I ran into the same problem while running 15mm spacers in the rear. I also lowered the car with H&R springs and the car itself was a ZCP model.

It rubbed on bumps but that was enough to concern me because my rear fender sticks "slightly" out a little more now. I switched the rear to 12mm spacers and after that there was no more rubbing! I was aware that I could have tried to roll my fenders but I just didn't want to go that route to reduce my cars value if i trade in.

As far as looks goes... the 15mm definitely looks better... it was pretty surprising for me to see that the 3mm made a difference to me. Nevertheless... it feels a lot better to be able to drive without having to worry about rubbing!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouW1n View Post
I ran into the same problem while running 15mm spacers in the rear. I also lowered the car with H&R springs and the car itself was a ZCP model.

It rubbed on bumps but that was enough to concern me because my rear fender sticks "slightly" out a little more now. I switched the rear to 12mm spacers and after that there was no more rubbing! I was aware that I could have tried to roll my fenders but I just didn't want to go that route to reduce my cars value if i trade in.

As far as looks goes... the 15mm definitely looks better... it was pretty surprising for me to see that the 3mm made a difference to me. Nevertheless... it feels a lot better to be able to drive without having to worry about rubbing!!
I agree I like the way the 15's look but for now I'm just gonna take them off completely for now till i get anither set cause it is very annoying to be worrying about the car rubbing on every bump in the road.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
YouW1n
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2014 F06 M6 Gran Coupe

completely agree with you man. i don't know how the roads are up there in jersey but we got it bad here in most of massachusetts. for me... i ordered a set of 12mm in like 3 days hahah. just couldn't stand the rubbing issues. whenever i heard it when i was driving i just wanted to pull over immediately (on the highway) and just check if my car was alright hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
I would go with smaller spacers or raise the car. I'm running 295 on the rear and had the same issue. Instead, I went with rolling my fenders which costed a lot more than what I wanted to spend. (paint cracked during the fender role. Due to the rubbing)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
///M 4 Life
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapesta206 View Post
I would go with smaller spacers or raise the car. I'm running 295 on the rear and had the same issue. Instead, I went with rolling my fenders which costed a lot more than what I wanted to spend. (paint cracked during the fender role. Due to the rubbing)
How do they roll the m3 fenders? Do you have any pics of the process? I already ordered some smaller spacers so I'm gonna see how it works out. I don't want to mess with the height cause I don't want to screw the corner balance up and have to do it again. But I do have a feeling I might have to. Do you also have club sports on your M? What setting do you have it on?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M 4 Life View Post
How do they roll the m3 fenders? Do you have any pics of the process? I already ordered some smaller spacers so I'm gonna see how it works out. I don't want to mess with the height cause I don't want to screw the corner balance up and have to do it again. But I do have a feeling I might have to. Do you also have club sports on your M? What setting do you have it on?
I have the V3. I believe it's a tool. You can kinda see where the arch is made.
Appreciate 0