BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

06-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I've grown up in OC, lived in West LA for a while now (just turned 28 and also went to university here). I've always wanted to move to Manhattan even if for just a part of my life. I know people make the move both ways quite frequently, but I'm getting very tired of LA. The lifestyle bores me even though I have so much fun every single weekend with my friends.

Problem is, I'm 28 now and I feel like NY is more fun when you are younger. I'm not getting any younger and in fact am planning on getting married sooner or later to the next gal I dig that way. Everything is geared towards young people who are single and have jobs but want to have fun also. I also love not needing a car and walking everywhere. Just don't want to jump on the whole "move to manhattan" boat 4 years later than I should have.
I work in finance at one of the big ibanks doing corp pension asset mgmt and didn't have a good enough leg into something similar or different through the market crash (lucky enough to have held my job while everyone got massacred thru mid 08-early 09). Anyhow, now I can either move to our NY offices and take my rolodex with me and make exactly the same amount of money while inreasing my living costs by a ton, or I can leave this one and try to get a new one, but end up leaving a significant amount of deferred comp on the table that most other firms would never replace for me. Plus I'd have to sell my new car that I just bought.

Is it worth pushing against all cons and making decisions by the seat of my pants? or should I stay put and not be an idiot?

The only other viable opportunity I'd have to move to Manhattan is for B school if I ever went to Columbia or NYU parttime while also working. At least, then I could justify increasing my COL without matching it on comp.

I just keep catching myself thinking "you're a moron Ed. much of manhattan is trying to leave to come out to LA and be exactly where you are right now."

Actually I would try to get a transfer to shanghai or HK for a year if possible, I think you would have a blast.
      06-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #24
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

I'd take Manhattan. Especially if you're in the finance or banking industry. LA would be better if you're in sales or showbiz.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:09 PM   #25
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Werd. I dig your town, especially the women. If only my far too frequent visits to ATL weren't purely for business, I might have some more time to enjoy.
I never said ATL was great, you asked our opinions about LA/NYC.
Traffic in ATL has gotten so insane it's called the new LA. haha
      06-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #26
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
I hate both equally, but i would definitely stay in LA over NYC.
      06-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #27
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

NY women ugly? If anything I thought they were more fashionable than in CA. I love CA and am used to the life here though.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #28
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

It depends what you seek.

I personally can't stand the suburban lifestyle, and enjoy see people around at all times of the day (and night). The nightlife is hands down the best in the US (where else can you find open bars at 4 am on a Monday night?), people are interesting and truly multicultural, the food is incredible, and the weather is not atrocious (we don't get THAT much snow...usually). Anyone who says women in NYC are not hot must have been living in the Bronx or something, lol. Go to Soho or meatpacking on a Saturday night, and then tell me if the women are ugly. They just aren't all blond bimboes, you get more variety here. Transportation is also a breeze as someone noted already.

On the flip side, NY is much more expensive by pretty much every metric, is crowded, and apartments are very small (unless you have an enormous budget). Keeping a car is a royal pain in the ass, and parking is virtually nonexistent. And if you drive, the roads are truly horrific within city lines. You will see potholes that make you miss the best roads in LA.

This is coming from someone brought up in Socal who moved to NYC later in life
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
My words are fine, but your brain misinterpreted them.

I bought a car. I would not sell it to finance a move to a new city. I'd sell it because I don't NEED a new BMW in NY. Perhaps I could have clarified. I could easily just take my car and store it and let it rot while I don't drive it.

The exact same amount of money I make right now is not by any means a small amount of money relative to a guy my age in this industry.

And the quip about being an idiot is merely a bit of self deprecation and slight exaggeration. An intuitive reader would interpret that as me saying "Should I stay put and not make any rash decisions given the MULTIPLE pros and cons I already listed that don't all have to do with money?"

But thanks for the attempt at conversation. Much appreciated.

Lets cut the BS and small talk.

IMHO you should move to NY so you can add another page to your resume to help you further advance in your career. On top of that you will make many new contacts in your field of work which will be beneficial to you in some way or another in your career.

Other then that, im not fan of NY.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #30
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Omg... the ignorance in this thread is astounding.

OP you're from the west coast. Unless you have been here and you like this lifestyle, stay there. It is VERY different.

I won't say another thing because it will be drowned out by all the stupidity.
      06-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #31
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

from my experience, nightlife is more alive in Tokyo than it was in SF or LA (referring to 4am comment).

Vegas doesn't count of course.

I can't comment on NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
It depends what you seek.

I personally can't stand the suburban lifestyle, and enjoy see people around at all times of the day (and night). The nightlife is hands down the best in the US (where else can you find open bars at 4 am on a Monday night?), people are interesting and truly multicultural, the food is incredible, and the weather is not atrocious (we don't get THAT much snow...usually). Anyone who says women in NYC are not hot must have been living in the Bronx or something, lol. Go to Soho or meatpacking on a Saturday night, and then tell me if the women are ugly. They just aren't all blond bimboes, you get more variety here. Transportation is also a breeze as someone noted already.

On the flip side, NY is much more expensive by pretty much every metric, is crowded, and apartments are very small (unless you have an enormous budget). Keeping a car is a royal pain in the ass, and parking is virtually nonexistent. And if you drive, the roads are truly horrific within city lines. You will see potholes that make you miss the best roads in LA.

This is coming from someone brought up in Socal who moved to NYC later in life
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
solefald
Nigerian Prince
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
The nightlife is hands down the best in the US (where else can you find open bars at 4 am on a Monday night?)
lol.

Anywhere, but NOT in US. I don't know where you live, but in most places besides Vegas and Atlantic City and Miami, you can't even think about buying booze after 2am. Clubs kick you out at 1:15am and on East Coast (at least the places i've been to) you can't even go to a liquor store on a Sunday or a holiday.
      06-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #33
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Omg... the ignorance in this thread is astounding.

OP you're from the west coast. Unless you have been here and you like this lifestyle, stay there. It is VERY different.

I won't say another thing because it will be drowned out by all the stupidity.
      06-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #34
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

in Greece the bars closed at 6AM.. In Italy and Spain there were people out drinking in the middle of the night. None of this is possible in LA or NY.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

women ugly in nyc? have you ever been here? some of you obviously don't know what you are talking about, and are making sweeping generalizations about a place you have very very limited experience in.
      06-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Alright everyone i'll be visiting NYC sometime this year...I'll give you infinitekid's opinion (from L.A.) of the NYC broads...so just wait for that
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #37
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
women ugly in nyc? have you ever been here? some of you obviously don't know what you are talking about, and are making sweeping generalizations about a place you have very very limited experience in.
Leave it alone... more for us.
      06-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #38
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
Leave it alone... more for us.
ya, i don't know why i bothered
      06-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #39
KGB7
Crazy Russian Bastard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 740i sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg335i View Post
I was there this past weekend for two days walking the streets of NY. And women are mostly ugly. The only decent once i saw there, are few once that are from out of town riding the tour buses, or HS girls that dressed like $5 hookers.

As soon as i got back to Wash DC, i saw much better loking women every where.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #40
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
I was there this past weekend for two days walking the streets of NY. And women are mostly ugly. The only decent once i saw there, are few once that are from out of town riding the tour buses, or HS girls that dressed like $5 hookers.

:

le sigh
      06-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #41
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Did somebody make the mistake of going to staten island one night while they were visiting NYC?

It's the only reason I can see sindoor having a negative opinion of our city/women

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #42
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Maybe he ventured into "joisy"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #43
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

There are tons of hot women, you have to know which areas to hit like upper west side.
      06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #44
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

i was just there last week, don't know what you're talking about. were you stuck on the subway the whole time in NY? never been to DC but when you think DC you think of crime and politics, not hotties.
Appreciate 0