BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

EXXEL Distributions

06-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SSII e90

1200 mile service observations

1.) Anyone know what the "intake silencer" service is? That was done "per CBS"
2.) How many miles did they take your car out for as part of the service? They took mine out for 8 miles, which seems ridiculous to me.
They also gave me the spiel about how it was de-tuned before the service and now I have more "horsepower." I thought that was crap?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by farbarg View Post
2.) How many miles did they take your car out for as part of the service? They took mine out for 8 miles, which seems ridiculous to me.
They also gave me the spiel about how it was de-tuned before the service and now I have more "horsepower." I thought that was crap?
1) Don't know
2) They didn't even take my car out, if they did it was for less than a mile. I don't know of any de-tuned before service.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
I'm going to watch them do my service and I expect 0 miles.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
monsta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinhci View Post
1) Don't know
2) They didn't even take my car out, if they did it was for less than a mile. I don't know of any de-tuned before service.
+1 my car was in w/ 1253 out w/ 1253, no mention of the detune either, SA said "Now you can take this bad boy up to redline" my reply was, nope not just yets still going to baby her until 3k, I've been up to 7k rpm and have gotten on her a bit but not upto 8400 rpm yet

'08 E92 M3 6MT | IB | FR | RAC RG63's | VRS Ti Exhaust | Fabspeed HFC & Xpipe
'09 X5 35d SG/SB
'11 X3 28i AW/CN/FW (wife's car
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
///kory
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 m3

Quote:
What dealership did you go to? And for a service like that there should be no reason to take it out, unless moving it from lot to lot, and there is no way that would be 8 miles. I had a salesman tell me about the "de-tune" aswell, but from what I have heard it is crap.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #6
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
I know nothing about the "intake silencer" but have seen it mentioned on other threads. I would like to know what it is if anyone knows?

Zero miles added to my car during service.
      06-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
They drove my car 16 miles and I'm totally pissed about it.
      06-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #8
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
They drove my car 16 miles and I'm totally pissed about it.
Is that what the invoice says or what you noticed? Supposedly the key fob contains the mileage data etc, so if you haven't stuck the key fob in for 16 miles the invoice will read a mileage reading from 16 miles ago instead of the real odo reading. Happened to someone on here.

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:05 PM   #9
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
1.)
They put less than 1 mile on my car during 1200 mile service probably because I busted their balls about "test" mileage prior to service. Also, I made the mistake of having them wash my car, needless to say that was a really bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 05:30 PM   #10
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCTFTW View Post
Is that what the invoice says or what you noticed? Supposedly the key fob contains the mileage data etc, so if you haven't stuck the key fob in for 16 miles the invoice will read a mileage reading from 16 miles ago instead of the real odo reading. Happened to someone on here.
My odometer readings and invoice were consistent with one another, so, unfortunately, that's not what happened in my case.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #11
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
My odometer readings and invoice were consistent with one another, so, unfortunately, that's not what happened in my case.
That's horse shit. I'd get on their asses about that. 8 miles joy ride? Seriously ...

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #12
farbarg
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's horse shit. I'd get on their asses about that. 8 miles joy ride? Seriously ...
Yeah I busted their balls about it, but they're by far the most convenient dealer for in-warranty service. Apparently the tech said something about the oil level not being reset for the initial post run in test, so they had to do it twice. So, they're either simply thorough and doing a good job, or they're rat-ass bastards. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

What's done is now done, I just have to be crystal about my expectations of "test" drives on future services. For that matter, anyone who visits BMW of Encinitas should make such a request explicit and known up front.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
ptan55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
I am getting better gas mileage now after the 1200mile service.
Not sure if it is bec of the service or just that the engine is getting settled?

Was averaging 16.5, now consistently 17.5mpg mixed city/highway (35/65% mix)
      06-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

haha my gas milage definitely went down, thanks to the power button and redline
      06-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #15
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptan55 View Post
I am getting better gas mileage now after the 1200mile service.
Not sure if it is bec of the service or just that the engine is getting settled?

Was averaging 16.5, now consistently 17.5mpg mixed city/highway (35/65% mix)
Wow, you must be driving pretty calmly in higher gears. I'm getting like 12-13 mpg average mixed city/highway after the 1200 service. That damn M button is putting a hole in my wallet... but I love it!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #16
normcaldwell
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Audi S3

Quote:
Intake silencer is a phrase BMW uses for the airbox that houses the air filter.
The service is to replace the air filter.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
2FED
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
2006 E90 330D  [0.00]
So, in my case, I have video camera recording everytime. They took my car for 5Kms (3 miles), and doing very much REVs, high acceleration... shit... I´m personally does not reving it more then 5000rpm still...
      06-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FED View Post
So, in my case, I have video camera recording everytime. They took my car for 5Kms (3 miles), and doing very much REVs, high acceleration... shit... I´m personally does not reving it more then 5000rpm still...
Oh damn. Any pics/details of your camera setup? I'd be interested in doing some spying. Did you confront them about what they did?

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
2FED
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT

Garage List
2008 E92  [0.00]
2006 E90 330D  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh damn. Any pics/details of your camera setup? I'd be interested in doing some spying.
I just have this one
Code:
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/car-camera-recorder.html
, but I don´t like it... bad quality of video... I´ll search something else for recording, something more hidden just with few thumb-cameras and recording device somethere...

Quote:
Did you confront them about what they did?
Still not, but I'll do it for sure... Doing this in car of client is horrible...
      06-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
quixs1lver
Rep
Drives: BMW Cert. Diag.

Quote:
1) Engine Air Filter

2) DME calculations are based on break-in Fluids(Engine Oil, Gearbox and Rear differential come from the factory this way).
After the 1200 miles service is performed, vehicle must have the CBS reset through the Diag. machine to reset the learning calibration of break in fluids to normal fluid. This also will give also give you 'launch mode' if you have the SMG transmission.

as far as test drive goes. there are two options the tech can go through. Because all new vehicles do not have a oil dip stick. all measurements are done digitally. The tech can bring up the oil level measurement test module or drive the car to get a Dynamic oil level reading, however this isnt accurate reading until some miles are put on it. So with that being said, i have many cases where i fill the vehicle to specs. and the customer takes it and have they chew the SA out bc the oil level now says to high or too low. In the defense of all the techs reading this ... 3 miles minimum is what my dealer says we have to do. unless a customer specifically states no test drive. BUT the way i see it as i just changed all these operating fluids i rather test drive,find the problem(if one does exsist) while the dealer has the car rather than have a customer come back all heated on why something is wrong with there car after there service.

just my two cents.
      06-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #21
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

I see the point above,

However this issue is that more often than not, the techs or other dealer employees cross the line and take the cars for red-line joy rides which IMO is completely unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #22
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Not to get off topic, but my first service didn't include changing the air/mirco filters. They said it's not needed at 1200 miles. I guess that makes sense. How can air filters go bad in 1200 miles?

Appreciate 0