BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT

valved exhaust system

will adding a valve to an exhaust that wasnt designed to have them change anything in terms of sound levels ?

for example the valved gintani exhaust looks like their regular muffler with the addition of two QTP valves and it seems to change the sound.

with
Name:  GIN8.jpg
Views: 2774
Size:  164.7 KB

without
Name:  resized4.jpg
Views: 1879
Size:  97.3 KB

now if i was to add two QTP valves to my exhaust would this do anything or will it be a waste of money and im better off just change my muffler to something that is designed with it.

would appreciate some feed back
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Are you adding valves to a stock or an aftermarket (thus more aggressive) muffler? Adding valves to a stock muffler is a waste since it's the quietest muffler really can get.

The Gintani (or any other valved system) offers the best of both worlds. When you need to be socially acceptable, you can close the valves & get stock-like exhaust noise levels. AND then when you want everyone in a 5 mile radius to know you're ripping on your M3, you can open & the valves and let the S65 sing.

The difference between building your own & buying a pre-valved system (Gintani, Evolve, iPE, etc), is that the systems are designed to sound good whether the valves are open OR closed & with minimum drone.

By fabricating your own exhaust, you run the possibility of making the exhaust sound like crap or unintentionally creating drone.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Are you adding valves to a stock or an aftermarket (thus more aggressive) muffler? Adding valves to a stock muffler is a waste since it's the quietest muffler really can get.

The Gintani (or any other valved system) offers the best of both worlds. When you need to be socially acceptable, you can close the valves & get stock-like exhaust noise levels. AND then when you want everyone in a 5 mile radius to know you're ripping on your M3, you can open & the valves and let the S65 sing.

The difference between building your own & buying a pre-valved system (Gintani, Evolve, iPE, etc), is that the systems are designed to sound good whether the valves are open OR closed & with minimum drone.

By fabricating your own exhaust, you run the possibility of making the exhaust sound like crap or unintentionally creating drone.
thank you for the reply. i have a challenge sport x-pipe with a mesiesterchaft gt2 which is extremely loud. while it doesnt bother me at all some cop near my house stopped me and asked me to change it and if i did he will keep an eye for me and will be giving me a ticket the next time around.

i hate to change my muffler so i want to compromise and take it to a good muffler shop and costume make a valve system and if anything ill add a set of resonators to reduce any drone or rasp
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms372 View Post
thank you for the reply. i have a challenge sport x-pipe with a mesiesterchaft gt2 which is extremely loud. while it doesnt bother me at all some cop near my house stopped me and asked me to change it and if i did he will keep an eye for me and will be giving me a ticket the next time around.

i hate to change my muffler so i want to compromise and take it to a good muffler shop and costume make a valve system and if anything ill add a set of resonators to reduce any drone or rasp
Sorry to hear that, I can't believe cops can make you do that. Just sucks.
      11-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
ms372
White Shark
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65NAPWR View Post
Sorry to hear that, I can't believe cops can make you do that. Just sucks.
had this setup for awhile this is the first time it happens, usually they just check my plate and leave me alone, but this time he was serious about it its all coz i downshifted without noticing he was in the other lane
Appreciate 0