BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Mporium BMW

02-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

2008 M3 Clutch Flywheel Replacement Cost?

I've searched a few threads on the topic but could not find an answer to the cost question so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Has anyone had to replace the clutch on an '08 M3 (which I understand requires a flywheel replacement as well because the clutch/flywheel setup was changed in the '09 models)?

Most jabber on the topic centers around the debate of clutch life - although interesting, I'm more concerned with expense given I'm noticing some early indicators that a replacement may be eminant.

If you have gone through the process, did you use the dealer or indy shop? What was the parts/labor breakdown?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
I would use an Indy shop... you will get raped at a dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
bimdo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 m3

i had my transmission replaced under warranty at about 36k,and checked on the price of a clutch and flywheel since they could be replaced with no labor charge while doing the new trans.iirc it was about $3000 for the parts,and the ones i had were in good shape,so i didn't do it.if the parts had been relatively cheap,i would have gone ahead while the trans was out.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

I don't understand your statement about why the flywheel has to be changed. Something about '08 being different from '09? Why not just get a new '08 clutch disk and pressure plate and keep the same flywheel? I've replaced several clutches on the various vehicles that I've owned and I've never felt it necessary to replace the flywheel. Of course I made the decision to not replace the flywheel after checking its condition thoroughly.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
a simple Google search for 2008 BMW M3 clutch kits brings up 3 different website that seems to sell a clutch kit for our cars called "Spec" Stage 5. for around $1700.xx blah blah.. I wouldn't buy that and Hope UUC comes out with a clutch kit before my ///M needs it..

I would do my own clutch when that time comes..... But I must ask, what early indicators are you feeling or getting that says a replacement may be needed ?

I track my car at the minimum once a month and I have yet to feel any difference in my clutch compared to day 1. And I easily Easily out drive my stock brakes each time.. (my brake search has begun) sorry

With that said, I drive my car Properly Hard and she pushes back and wants and takes more... and my Clutch is still Solid.

Hope you car is ok.. GL

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #6
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
a simple Google search for 2008 BMW M3 clutch kits brings up 3 different website that seems to sell a clutch kit for our cars called "Spec" Stage 5. for around $1700.xx blah blah.. I wouldn't buy that and Hope UUC comes out with a clutch kit before my ///M needs it..

I would do my own clutch when that time comes..... But I must ask, what early indicators are you feeling or getting that says a replacement may be needed ?

I track my car at the minimum once a month and I have yet to feel any difference in my clutch compared to day 1. And I easily Easily out drive my stock brakes each time.. (my brake search has begun) sorry

With that said, I drive my car Properly Hard and she pushes back and wants and takes more... and my Clutch is still Solid.

Hope you car is ok.. GL

FYI Spec makes excellent clutches
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey View Post
I don't understand your statement about why the flywheel has to be changed. Something about '08 being different from '09? Why not just get a new '08 clutch disk and pressure plate and keep the same flywheel? I've replaced several clutches on the various vehicles that I've owned and I've never felt it necessary to replace the flywheel. Of course I made the decision to not replace the flywheel after checking its condition thoroughly.
In 2009, BMW replaced the '08 clutch/flywheel setup and discontinued production of the '08 OE clutch plate. Hence, if you want an OEM replacement for an '08, the only e90/e92 M3 clutch currently in production is a larger setup requiring a pairing to the '09 flywheel.

If you wanted to go aftermarket or source one from a junked M3, those alternatives are obviously still possible.
Appreciate 1
Rajmun340413.00
      02-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post

Hope you car is ok.. GL
I think tracking a car tends to put more pressure on the brakes and tires than the clutch but lots of folks quote track days as the barometer for heavy clutch wear so maybe i'm wrong.

I too track my car a few times a year - usually 3 or 4 BMW CCA HPDEs per annum but, again, I really don't think those weekend sessions kill the clutch as much as the city miles I have on the car. I live in downtown DC and use my M3 as a daily commuter car. I bought the car new - its an '08 with 56,000 miles. Aside from NY and LA, we have some of the worst traffic in the country - my 13 mile drive to work takes between 30 minutes and an hour with a lot of stop and go and traffic lights.

I tend to be hard on the clutch on a regular basis - besides stop and go, I typically start in 2nd gear. I also like to play in the rain a bit and maximize my skidpad time at the track so I will occasionally let the clutch out a little higher on the revs (2.5 - 3.5k) to get the back end out rather than wait for the opportunity to employ throttle off oversteer. Not common but it all adds up to to premature wear.

To finally answer your question - I'm noticing some slipping in 1st and 2nd gear - especially when pulling away from a stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 6sp ZCP Mel red coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post
In 2009, BMW replaced the '08 clutch/flywheel setup and discontinued production of the '08 OE clutch plate. Hence, if you want an OEM replacement for an '08, the only e90/e92 M3 clutch currently in production is a larger setup requiring a pairing to the '09 flywheel.

If you wanted to go aftermarket or source one from a junked M3, those alternatives are obviously still possible.
There must have been a weakness of some sort with the older set up for BMW to cease production of those parts. It sounds like the aftermarket have picked up where BMW left off.

I tend to agree with your comment that tracking is not particularly hard on the clutch unless one is 'speed' shifting all the time. One problem I had with my old RX7's clutch at the track was that it would get too hot and start to shudder when leaving the pits from a dead stop. A switch to an aftermarket disk/plate fixed that problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There must have been a weakness of some sort with the older set up for BMW to cease production of those parts. It sounds like the aftermarket have picked up where BMW left off.

I tend to agree with your comment that tracking is not particularly hard on the clutch unless one is 'speed' shifting all the time. One problem I had with my old RX7's clutch at the track was that it would get too hot and start to shudder when leaving the pits from a dead stop. A switch to an aftermarket disk/plate fixed that problem.
From what I heard, the decision to dump the '08 setup in favor of the bigger '09 option was derived primarily from owner complaints around noise from the setup - especially out of gear at idle and at low speed. Mine makes a little noise but, since I know why, its never really bothered me.

Not sure if you remember but back in '08 / '09, folks were getting fluid swaps in the tranny and diff because of noises. Either BMW got sick of fluid swaps under warranty or thought a bigger clutch/flywheel would make a real difference in performance and noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Unhappy No price on the fly wheel replacement yet Damn

I have a 2008 E92 M3 with 85,000+ miles on it, I am told by friends and people I have asked think I might have a glaze spot in my fly wheel. I do not track my M3 the glaze spot is in the very high RPM area around 5500- 6000 RPM. If I press the M button with my setting being Sport Plus and I really get on it, as soon as I shift to 4th gear around 5500 RPM the clutch will slip and the RPM's would just max out , I tried to swift to 5th gear max out, 6th gear max out. The clutch pedal will get really stiff and stick until I let off the gas. If I drive the car normal without pressing the M button and get on it, no problem in the high RPM's the car drives normal no problem. As long as I don't hot rod the car with the M button pressed there is no problem it just drives normal with no slip in the clutch or RPM. I called my service rep ask about a new clutch repair and he said $3400.00+ including labor, parts, clutch and he said that is not even including the fly wheel if it needs to be replaced . I know I am driving on borrowed time I am in no rush to fix this problem because, I don't daily drive my M3. I know it is going to cost $$$$ and the problem is only when I press the M button when I hit the high RPM's in 4th gear. If you are a E9X M owner you know if you are at the high RPM's in this gear you are driving pretty fast for a quick spirit run on a empty back road or at the track . I never notice this problem by normal driving, and it was hard to notice the problem at first. I thought I shift the gears to late because when it slip at 5500-6000 RPM it would happen so fast no time to react, I would be like WTF just happened. Sorry for the OP I just wanted everyone to know what they might start seeing when the 08 M3 start getting into the high miles. Still not looking forward to getting a new fly wheel and stuff at Stealership cost but I miss being able to get up on it . I also don't trust just any shop to work on my M3 since most people clutch and flywheels have not started going out yet .

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,

Last edited by SHADY1; 02-16-2013 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
+1 the only time a flywheel needs to be resurfaced or replaced is if there is scoring or damage and/or the ring gear teeth are not meshing..other than that a quick scuff with an abrasive pad and new clutch is all you need
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
dave009112
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Confirmed from dealer that to replace clutch on 2008 M3, flywheel must be replaced as well with new updated version.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
+1 the only time a flywheel needs to be resurfaced or replaced is if there is scoring or damage and/or the ring gear teeth are not meshing..other than that a quick scuff with an abrasive pad and new clutch is all you need
While true for the most part, the dual mass flywheel has a rotating tolerance and may need to be replaced if excessive. We usually hear it as the "clunk clunk clunk", especially if you turn off the engine with the clutch in neutral.
      07-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
The 08 clutches are no longer available
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
The 08 clutches are no longer available
Sure they are:
Attached Images

07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
That number supersedes to an 09 model which is only available in conjunction with a new flywheel
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:46 AM   #18
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

I found all of these parts for above RRP at various places (RM, turner etc):

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=21&fg=05

Drives: 2010 E70 X5M Carbonschwarz
Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #19
saxonb
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E70 X5M Carbonschwarz

By the way my clutch started slipping at the track. Second gear 8krpm shifts to third just went straight to the red line. Previous owner must have been bad on this clutch.

I will need a full flywheel and clutch at $2000+.

Drives: 2010 E70 X5M Carbonschwarz
Loved and lost: 07 E92 M3 Silverstone II / 96 E36 M3 Evo Estoril Blue / 07 E84 Z4 M Coupe Interlagos Blue
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
If you can find a clutch for the early style flywheel I have one in great condition I'll sell you to save you a nice chunk of cash. PM me if you want to figure something out
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

I can confirm that a new flywheel ($1700!!!) is needed for a clutch job on the '08s.

I really do not find it acceptable that we are pushed into paying for this part whenever the 08 design was perfectly fine for us from the get go.

I contacted BMW NA customer relations to ask them about this. The first contact did not sound promising but I will follow up in writing.

I love the brand and my car, but I feel there are some limits to how much money we need to spend to upkeep these cars.

Has anybody else being able to work something out with NA or their dealer??
      09-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #22
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
I had NA pay 1/3, the dealer paid a third and the other 1/3 was the clients responsibility. The 09 flywheel and clutch setup is noticeably quieter which is a plus. That's why BMW redesigned it from what I've read.
Appreciate 0