BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
karan239
Rep
Drives: n/a

Smile BMW M GmbH Internship

Hi All,

I am currently a university student in USA and am VERY MUCH interested in pursuing a summer internship at BMW M GmbH, in the area of Information Technology. I saw their online listings at the BMW careers website, but none are for the M group.

Would anyone be able to provide me any feedback on how to go about applying at BMW M or connect me with someone I can speak with about the same?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Beggars can't be choosers.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
talk to forum member bmwpower06. He got a paid summer internship at BMW NA. While not BMW group, he might be able to gain you some insight on what to do, or who to talk to.

Otherwise, pick up the phone and start calling for info.
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
      01-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan239 View Post
Hi All,

I am currently a university student in USA and am VERY MUCH interested in pursuing a summer internship at BMW M GmbH, in the area of Information Technology. I saw their online listings at the BMW careers website, but none are for the M group.

Would anyone be able to provide me any feedback on how to go about applying at BMW M or connect me with someone I can speak with about the same?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a great idea ... you may even get a employee discount on the purchase of a fine new BMW.

I recommend you contact "Dackelone" he is a Moderator and stationed in Germany Dackel is a nice fellow, he might provide you with the right address and contact information. Click on my link below (my signature) then you see his Nickname click on it and send him a PM. Good luck

One of my friends (was a Aircraft Engineer) he took a job for one year as a cleaner in the Mercedes Factory some 30 years ago. Just pushing the broom to help keep the place spotless. He did this just to relax, be close to the cars he loved then at the end of that year he drove away with a discounted brand new Benz Mind you it's not for everyone still he seamed to have had a blast doing it

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

M Gmbh and IT don't really seem like they go together. I mean, BMW would be a cool company to work for, but M Gmbh IT is like saying I want to work for a NFL team as their mailroom person. Seems like a huge wast of an opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

IT is way too general a field to say you want to do something in IT. You can be anyone from the Best Buy Geek Squad to a Data Architect to a CTO and they are all in "IT".

Plus as username11 mentioned, I doubt M would have its own dedicated IT. They would probably share services with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Curious how you plan to do IT at BMW M.

When I hear people do IT, I assume that means they part of the group that provides IT services (email, web services, SAP support, etc.) to the larger organization.

I assume (just a guess) that there is little to no M-specific IT. I'd guess BMW has a central IT organization like most companies.

If you want to do something technology related & M-specific, you might want to expand to:

- Embedded circuits/design
- Advanced sensors & testing
- CFD - fluid dynamics for example wind tunnel testing
- CAM/CAD, the usual stuff
- (big) maybe IT specializing SCM/planning

etc. something that would apply to car design. Even ICE I suspect is not specific to M because as far as I know there are no M-specific ICE customizations.

If you want to do true IT (and not SCM specific) I'm not sure why you'd want to intern at BMW unless you just want to be around cars. You should instead be heading to Walldorf.
We just got a winner...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
IT is way too general a field to say you want to do something in IT. You can be anyone from the Best Buy Geek Squad to a Data Architect to a CTO and they are all in "IT".

Plus as username11 mentioned, I doubt M would have its own dedicated IT. They would probably share services with BMW.
That would be correct, still I would expect that there be a scallion IT support staff at the ///M Division Headquarters Garching, near München, Germany.

Short Video ---> CLICK

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
AbuArije5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Non

Man I want to mop and clean floors from BMW M division do any of you guys know where I can go only m cars please
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbuArije5 View Post
Man I want to mop and clean floors from BMW M division do any of you guys know where I can go only m cars please
Here you go ===> CLICK

or send a PM to Moderator Dackelone Dackel is located in Germany he might get you a address or contact

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Here's another option. Contact these guys,

http://www.cuicar.com/team.html

Paul Venhovens is a nice guy and former BMW Munich employee. I've been to the BMW factory with the Clemson folks on a research trip and it's quite the experience. Try Paul, he's a systems guys and still has excellent connections at BMW.
Tell him Victor sent you. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #14
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
there's large operations branch in Dublin, OH at BMW Finanical
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan239
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
I would take any internship you can get with BMW. Once you are in you can try and work yourself into the division you would like to work for.

Good luck.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
I would take any internship you can get with BMW. Once you are in you can try and work yourself into the division you would like to work for.

Good luck.
Some things to know.
Speaking German is not an option.

You do not decide where you go in Munich. It all depends on availability and scheduling of projects.

BMW is an automobile manufacturer but there are departments especially in IT and other areas who are specific to the running of BMW's day-to-day business. So not every BMW employee sees the next M3 etc if that is what you were thinking of coming to see.

BMW is not just positioned at the Four Cylinder or FIZ. We have many off-sites across Munich.

Some people fail to make the cut especially when they relate to BMW on having specific products that relate to other manufacturers.

Take for example BMW needs an r8 rival. BMW stresses Independence and that includes products too. If you say we must copy another manufacturer?
Then like the others, ....have a safe flight home.
It will show that you think that our future products should reflect the same as other manufacturers when BMW have been stressing individuality since they began. Creativity and imagination are crucial as is being unique and original. One example was somebody Coming with an idea for a Veyron challenger supersports car against some female student who suggested an EcoDrive concept driven by wind and steam and designed by airflow - guess who got the job?
      01-31-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Park2670
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

I would love to work for BMW Manufacturing or NA. Currently in school now, but just wish I knew which direction I should be pointed.

I worked for a BMW dealer for seven years, ready to work with the BMW company now.
      01-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
I would love to work for BMW Manufacturing or NA. Currently in school now, but just wish I knew which direction I should be pointed.

I worked for a BMW dealer for seven years, ready to work with the BMW company now.
Perhaps you be the next Jay Leno ... he started his carrier at a BMW Dealership ... I think he is just a bit more into cars then anyone here is

Good Luck with your plans ...

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #19
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
I can respect your motivation but dude, I think you are dreaming. I work in IT security for a phone company so I know that all companies (including BMW) have large IT departments even if they arent necessarily an "IT company". However, being so picky that you want a summer internship, in IT, in BMW M is probably not very realistic. I doubt there is anything M specific available out there and if there is than that stuff is probably given to senior M engineers or to other high performers that are already with the company. BMW is not just going to hire any joe schmo off the street to work in the M division. They are going to go with their best trusted engineers. If I were you I would be happy to get anything even related to IT anywhere in the BMW family or any other auto company for that matter even if it is Mini Cooper or VW.
      02-06-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
karan239
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by username11
Curious how you plan to do IT at BMW M.

When I hear people do IT, I assume that means they part of the group that provides IT services (email, web services, SAP support, etc.) to the larger organization.

I assume (just a guess) that there is little to no M-specific IT. I'd guess BMW has a central IT organization like most companies.

If you want to do something technology related & M-specific, you might want to expand to:

- Embedded circuits/design
- Advanced sensors & testing
- CFD - fluid dynamics for example wind tunnel testing
- CAM/CAD, the usual stuff
- (big) maybe IT specializing SCM/planning

etc. something that would apply to car design. Even ICE I suspect is not specific to M because as far as I know there are no M-specific ICE customizations.

If you want to do true IT (and not SCM specific) I'm not sure why you'd want to intern at BMW unless you just want to be around cars. You should instead be heading to Walldorf.
Thanks for replying. I see your point about the blurry relation between IT and BMW M.

M cars include engine and chassis tuning features, most of them done via software. The so called "M mode" is a combination of the right sort of software and hardware balance. The iDrive system is essentially a piece of software developed at BMW HQ, but that version only focuses on the regular BMWs, not performance software tuning. BMW M has certain research projects where employees with specific Computer Science background work toward building embedded software solutions that extend BMW to become BMW Ms. That's precisely where I want to contribute.

Given the slim to none possibility of BMW M opening intern positions in these projects, I would like to set my foot in the door first. If I am able to demo good skills even via a simple IT services internship at M, I may be able to land a full time position working in those R&D projects.

So that's the idea....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
karan239
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
I can respect your motivation but dude, I think you are dreaming. I work in IT security for a phone company so I know that all companies (including BMW) have large IT departments even if they arent necessarily an "IT company". However, being so picky that you want a summer internship, in IT, in BMW M is probably not very realistic. I doubt there is anything M specific available out there and if there is than that stuff is probably given to senior M engineers or to other high performers that are already with the company. BMW is not just going to hire any joe schmo off the street to work in the M division. They are going to go with their best trusted engineers. If I were you I would be happy to get anything even related to IT anywhere in the BMW family or any other auto company for that matter even if it is Mini Cooper or VW.
Haha I know what u mean....

But I've done some data mining about it. BMW offers in-depth hands-on engineering jobs to the "senior M engineers". But it has a separate area that focuses on R&D, and they allow a lot of students in that area. I talked with a recruiter at BMW HQ USA and she told me the teams at BMW and BMW M are entirely different, and I'd be better off finding and applying for a research project at BMW M rather than get what I can in IT at BMW Group. She told me that at this point, BMW M has 2 research projects focusing on the iDrive user interface design and the M suspension tuning system, but are limited to students from European universities. I study in the US.

In any case, I'll be open to all sorts of possibilities....thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
karan239
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park2670

Look up the recruiters for BMW NA. LinkedIn is quite useful. Also, people from BMW NA corporate HQ come to auto shows. Talking to them definitely helps.

I was introduced to the IT recruiter via a senior manager who attended the Philadelphia Auto Show last week. I took my resume to the show and spoke with 2 reps from the Spartanburg facility about the X models and expressed my interested for M development. The guy immediately took note of it and called me the next day with the recruiter on the other line.

Good luck man!
Appreciate 0