BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Interesting perspective on Nurburgring times

Per e1000's suggestion from other thread, thought I'd share this interesting blog post

http://rawautos.com/2012/02/uncooked...an-be-changed/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
STi_traitor
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

I agree with the guy, I recall without any evidence right now that one of the Corvettes had an outstanding time on the Ring but with slicks. Not bashing the Corvette, just saying they used slicks to help the time for a better promotion.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
e1000
that's what SHE said!
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Which begs the question, what would a stock DCT E92 M3, on PS2's or PSS's, do with a factory driver that knew the ring well?

Take for example according to wikipedia (i know i know)

2009 Nissan GT-R, Factory driver, optional tires = 7:26.70
2011 Nissan GT-R, Horst von Saurma = 7:34
2009 Nissan GT-R. Horst von Saurma = 7:38

Ferrari 458 Italia, Sascha Bert = 7:32.92
Ferrari 458 Italia, Horst von Saurma, Michelin PS2 = 7:38

** EDIT: I'm not trying to imply that Horst is a bad driver in any way, just want to point out that much like the article says, Nurburgring times need to be taken in context. Drivers may have vastly different times, and we all should be aware that the weather changes very quickly there. Conditions may be optimal one day and poor another. Finally, tires, suspension setups, etc etc can also play a role.

I firmly believe in the right hands a showroom stock M3 could do a sub 8 minute lap, but, why does that matter? None of us are going to pull it off! At least that's how I see it.
      12-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

very interesting and a great write up, makes you think
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
Which begs the question, what would a stock DCT E92 M3, on PS2's or PSS's, do with a factory driver that knew the ring well?

** EDIT: I'm not trying to imply that Horst is a bad driver in any way, just want to point out that much like the article says, Nurburgring times need to be taken in context. Drivers may have vastly different times, and we all should be aware that the weather changes very quickly there. Conditions may be optimal one day and poor another. Finally, tires, suspension setups, etc etc can also play a role.

I firmly believe in the right hands a showroom stock M3 could do a sub 8 minute lap, but, why does that matter? None of us are going to pull it off! At least that's how I see it.
I think it's possible in a DCT ZCP car with Michelin PSS (or comparable extreme street tire) like you mentioned, but not with PS2. A sub 8 minute lap in a stock M3 with stock brakes is probably not going to happen with Conti's, PS2's.

(I've done hundreds of track days and have actually driven the 'Ring myself.)
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Good points..when you have more at-bats, you'll have potential for more hits...who knows how many times the factory tries to get the fastest laps. Point being that absent seeing BMW's actual lap results, it's pretty hard to conclude von Saurma's time is the fastest acheiveable vs these factory drivers, where you pretty much know that is at/near/or actually the fastest achievable by anyone.

Think I read at some point that von Saurma gets 3 laps, the first being warm up, second being the timed flying lap, and third being the cool-down (lap doesn't count because exiting the track).

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Good info, but I thought this was common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i know i'm going to sound like a kid here, but...

i'm a huge gran turismo fan. i keep the game interesting by doing time trials in various cars around the 'ring to see the best time i can come up with, and then i try to beat that time.
i know everything is tuned, and its a video game, so the actual times i put up have no relevance, but what i have realized in my game will hold true in real life- entering a corner or exiting a corner with too much speed, angle, etc., that requires correction or provokes a lack of confidence in control will add a significant amount of time to your overall time.

i'm sure the "human error" factor alone makes all cars close in comparison randomly closer or farther from each other in performance if you are simply comparing track times of a huge track like the nurburgring.