BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Akrapovic Evo System in CA

Does anybody in CA have the Evo system and know whether or not it passes the smog test?

I know the slip on does because it doesn't mess with the cats and I know that Evo has its own, but not sure if they pass.

If the Evo doesn't I'll probably go with the slip-on, MPE, or OEM mod exhaust.

I asked the shop that sells it but they said they're not sure either, because even though it is a race exhaust it has cats.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

It's going to depend on how picky the shop is brother, also depends on if you have a tune that allows the car to be in a "ready state" so it doesn't fail the obd portion of the smog.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab View Post
Does anybody in CA have the Evo system and know whether or not it passes the smog test?

I know the slip on does because it doesn't mess with the cats and I know that Evo has its own, but not sure if they pass.

If the Evo doesn't I'll probably go with the slip-on, MPE, or OEM mod exhaust.

I asked the shop that sells it but they said they're not sure either, because even though it is a race exhaust it has cats.
Evo systems remove the primary cats, it would not pass. You'll also get a CEL if you do not have a tune or delete-r installed.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
That's unfortunate. Really liked the Evo, I guess I'll have to choose from one of the others.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
m_treezy
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Yea the evo sounds great too
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab
That's unfortunate. Really liked the Evo, I guess I'll have to choose from one of the others.
Why? Just swap with OEM for test and then swap back.
      12-11-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooyab
Why? Just swap with OEM for test and then swap back.
That's so much work just for a test. Plus I don't have a lift or the other tools necessary. I have done that for intakes though. I like the OEM mod, seems like it sounds really nice, but I really want larger tips so I'll probably go with one of the other two.
Interlagos Blue/Speed Cloth | BayOptiks DTM Headlights | Alpine Stage 2 | KW Clubsport | Resonated X-Pipe | Eisenmann Race | StopTech BBK | TE37SL | YFCM CF Driveshaft | Hotchkis F/R Sways | F/R Endlinks | Turner Control Arms and Front Tension Bushings | Powerflex Diff Bushings | Turner Solid Subframe Bushings | MS Underdrive Pulley and Intake | Alpine DCT Tune | Karbonius Intake | Carbon Roof (TBD)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #8
lve2xlr8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
That's so much work just for a test. Plus I don't have a lift or the other tools necessary. I have done that for intakes though. I like the OEM mod, seems like it sounds really nice, but I really want larger tips so I'll probably go with one of the other two.
Just get the Akra Slip-On (rear section) if you want to pass smog. The Evo is the Slip-On plus X-pipe. Any system that doesn't retain the OEM cats isn't going to pass CA smog. The check is only every two years so it's not a ton of work relative to the amount of time you'll be enjoying one of the best sounds on earth
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
Just get the Akra Slip-On (rear section) if you want to pass smog. The Evo is the Slip-On plus X-pipe. Any system that doesn't retain the OEM cats isn't going to pass CA smog. The check is only every two years so it's not a ton of work relative to the amount of time you'll be enjoying one of the best sounds on earth
True that! if not you can get the slip on and get the challenge street pipe which uses the OEM cats and gives you a little more sound and power, sounds like a happy medium to me
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
http://europeanautosource.com/eas-80...mw-e9x-m3.html

But I'd go through the occasional hassle for the evo.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8 View Post
True that! if not you can get the slip on and get the challenge street pipe which uses the OEM cats and gives you a little more sound and power, sounds like a happy medium to me
This is actually a very good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
pooyab
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lve2xlr8
Quote:
That's also true. An hour of work every two years actually isn't that bad.
Appreciate 0