BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

11-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vert

My M3 slid sideways with traction control on

So I was on vacation in Vegas, it wasn't raining and I was taking a left turn (tracking on). I gave it some gas while turning and the car slided sideway quite a bit then I managed to have it under control and the car was running fine after that.
This was a pleasant surprise as the car was easy to maneuver , but I wonder what could be the reason because this has never happened before. Btw the rear tire has little tread left. Is this should be a concern?

PS: I never track the car, and dont do anything crazy on street.
thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Mthrice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 M3 Tanzanite/Blk, 15 GT3

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Yes, it gives a little room for play even with DSC on, good fun. Replace the tires though if only little thread left.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
Yes, it gives a little room for play even with DSC on, good fun. Replace the tires though if only little thread left.
nice to know that
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
jamze132
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 228i

The best equipment money can buy is not going to keep a 3700+ lbs car from sliding around a corner if you're going too fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Pontrelli
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurM3 View Post
So I was on vacation in Vegas...Btw the rear tire has little tread left. Is this should be a concern?

thanks in advance
McFly!
      11-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I really wonder how people survived in the days before traction control... it seems like way too many people rely on it now. Learn to control your right foot. It works.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I really wonder how people survived in the days before traction control... it seems like way too many people rely on it now. Learn to control your right foot. It works.
Cars just weren't this powerful. If you go back a number of years, most Ferraris and Lamborghinis had less power and torque than the current M3. I remember back to 1994 when the Toyota Supra had 320hp and I was thinking "holy shit".

In 1983 when I bought my first car, a Mustang GT, it was the fastest production American car that year. It did 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and made 175hp with its 5 liter V8 and 4 barrel carburator. And we all know how much hp the top end Mustang produces today !!!!

You really have to go back to the muscle car days to see big power and torque, and even then, it was really only a handful of cars that did this. And yes, they were a nightmare to control.

It really is modern traction management systems that allows for the powerful cars of today to be driven by most mortals in relative safety on public roadways.
      11-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Cars just weren't this powerful. If you go back a number of years, most Ferraris and Lamborghinis had less power and torque than the current M3. I remember back to 1994 when the Toyota Supra had 320hp and I was thinking "holy shit".

In 1983 when I bought my first car, a Mustang GT, it was the fastest production American car that year. It did 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and made 175hp with its 5 liter V8 and 4 barrel carburator. And we all know how much hp the top end Mustang produces today !!!!

You really have to go back to the muscle car days to see big power and torque, and even then, it was really only a handful of cars that did this. And yes, they were a nightmare to control.

It really is modern traction management systems that allows for the powerful cars of today to be driven by most mortals in relative safety on public roadways.
Clearly, you've never driven any of the 60's muscle cars. Crazy power, shit handling/traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
So I was on vacation in Vegas, it wasn't raining and I was taking a left turn (tracking on). I gave it some gas while turning and the car slided sideway quite a bit then I managed to have it under control and the car was running fine after that.
This was a pleasant surprise as the car was easy to maneuver , but I wonder what could be the reason because this has never happened before. Btw the rear tire has little tread left. Is this should be a concern?

thanks in advance
You need new tires...Michelin Pilot Super Sport !
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

thanks in advance
I drive my M3 to Vegas every year, and I have plenty of track experience, so I can say that I know how to control my car. Down near the Vegas strip on the surface streets, I have also found that many of the road surfaces in Vegas have strangely low traction. It's like there's a bizarre coating of tar or something that gives less traction. Many of the road surfaces even look shinier than "regular" black top. I used to think I was crazy for thinking this, but I've felt lower grip on corners in Vegas many times. And no, I wasn't flying around the corners. I save that for the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #13
6spdg37s
Captain
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
+1 my 1st car had no TC / stability control...

then i had a viper with over 500hp and no tc/stability control
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
MKE_M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
Clearly, you've never driven any of the 60's muscle cars. Crazy power, shit handling/traction.
Uhhhh... Did you not read LarThal's post, or did he edit his because it looks like you both are saying the exact same thing??!?!
      11-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone
Quote:

thanks in advance
I drive my M3 to Vegas every year, and I have plenty of track experience, so I can say that I know how to control my car. Down near the Vegas strip on the surface streets, I have also found that many of the road surfaces in Vegas have strangely low traction. It's like there's a bizarre coating of tar or something that gives less traction. Many of the road surfaces even look shinier than "regular" black top. I used to think I was crazy for thinking this, but I've felt lower grip on corners in Vegas many times. And no, I wasn't flying around the corners. I save that for the track.
I felt the same way about street and I rarely go fast on turns.
Thx for replying
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
PurM3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
Sorry most cars I had have tractions and stability assist I didn't experience anything like it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemetry View Post
Uhhhh... Did you not read LarThal's post, or did he edit his because it looks like you both are saying the exact same thing??!?!
He didn't edit it.
      11-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #18
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I think he lifted his right cheek to high ... Not a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mthrice View Post
Please pass the Thanks

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 11-24-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
I think the traction control/DSC work brilliantly in our cars IMO. They let you go right up to the brink with some fun without creating a very expensive headache for yourself. I've yet to drive with it totally defeated. I will eventually but I'm ok with it intervening for now.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #20
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
Quote:

thanks in advance

The answer is in your question

giving a V8 powered car some gas, going around a turn, with little tread left on rear tires. Perhaps couple that with road condition.

hmm....
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.

Last edited by MDyDinanM; 11-24-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #21
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Vegas is in the middle of the desert (lots of sand)...even very fine particles that get kicked in the air by wind can make the roads more slippery. In the inland areas/desert of Southern California, same situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #22
cpdp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K
wouldn't quite say so
Appreciate 0