BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

BPM

02-22-2007, 01:15 AM   #1
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

What a night...I am a f'ing moron....at least I can laugh about it now

My wife and I picked up a new 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with every option available except for a V8.

Navigation
Bluetooth
Back-up camera
Harmon Kardon
Factory Remote start (very cool didn't even know it had that) Factory install not dealer.
White with gray leather
Moon roof
fogs etc....

Now for the funny part....

After driving around showing the car to her family and friends she wanted to go to a car wash just to give it a rinse off....

So we go to the after hours car wash where you stay in the car and go through. Now in my 335i if the moonroof is tilted up the shade does not close all the way...so you always know it is open..
Not the case in the jeep.....we though it was closed but it was tilted up....needless to say we go through the wash and water starts dripping from the headliner.....

Holy shit...So we got it home as quickly as possible...took my e92 out of the garage pulled in the jeep I set up the space heaters, hairdryers, fans anything i could think of....

I had to remove the a pillars, completely remove headliner, all interior lights in headliner....etc....

Removed it all set it down on garage floor soaked up as much as i could with shop vac and towels....then started with the hairdryer, heaters etc....

So here I am 5 hours later exhuasted and I now have a new Jeep with the cleanest damn interior.

So thats my story for the night...and I am going to bed

Car is dry...and re-assembled good as new

BTW obviously this is a BMW forum..and I would never compare a Jeep to a BMW as there is no comparison however I will say for the money I think we got one hell of a truck...The options in this thing for the money and I really like the look and a nice smooth ride....sticker price of 37k sale price of 29k
leased out for 399/mo with 2800 out of pocket...not a bad deal...
And most importantly she is happy. And I got off cheap
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 01:50 AM   #2
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
Rep
Drives: Black E90

congratulations!!~

i had a grand cheroke before too, love the power....

nice car....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. Great story...lols. Did the same thing once....just that the wife didn't help.
      02-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #4
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Attached Images

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Nice house.
      02-22-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Damn... that sucks! Actually, you probably have vent slots in your sunroof shade and that's why it will close all the way. I wish BMW did that. Every other car I've had with a sunroof had the vents and you could have the sunroof tilted open and shade fully closed.

Glad to hear that you got the mess taken care of, and I feel for you with all the work (in panic mode no less).

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Sorry to hear that happened. What does that Jeep have if not an 8, a V6 or inline 6? Sometimes, such as the case with GM, the inline 6 is actually a better choice. But as we all know being BMW fans, most mfgs. have done away with the I6 (incl. Lexus and MB) for the sake of compactness and using the motor across various platforms (RWD and FWD and AWD). But don't forget the balance shafts, added friction and complexity!

imho for cars you really care about, never take it through an automatic car wash, despite the "I saw a Ferrari just go through so I can take my 335 no problem" This is coming from my g/f's uncle who sets them up and repairs them. It's not the cloth, it's the fact that often parts of the machinery can come in contact with the paint....

glad you got it sorted out and let it be a lesson to all of us to check that everything's closed before washing!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 06:53 AM   #8
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

i left my sunroof open one night when it rained, best thing to do is close all the windows, crack the rear windows a hair, and run the heater for a few hours

get a container of damprid and keep it in your car for a month too
      02-22-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
trick50
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Sorry to hear that happened. What does that Jeep have if not an 8, a V6 or inline 6? Sometimes, such as the case with GM, the inline 6 is actually a better choice. But as we all know being BMW fans, most mfgs. have done away with the I6 (incl. Lexus and MB) for the sake of compactness and using the motor across various platforms (RWD and FWD and AWD). But don't forget the balance shafts, added friction and complexity!

imho for cars you really care about, never take it through an automatic car wash, despite the "I saw a Ferrari just go through so I can take my 335 no problem" This is coming from my g/f's uncle who sets them up and repairs them. It's not the cloth, it's the fact that often parts of the machinery can come in contact with the paint....

glad you got it sorted out and let it be a lesson to all of us to check that everything's closed before washing!

It has a 3.7l SOHC V6. I am not a fan of the automtic car wash and I never ever take my E92 BT through an automatic...My car gets an hand wash every saturday morning. I know that my wife is definetly not going to go to a hand wash and sit for 45 minutes as the car is being cleaned properly...And trying to get her to understand the benefits of a hand wash over a machine wash is damn near impossible.
I am going to tak the jeep on sat. to get a good coat of wax put on it and let her machine wash all she wants.
07 E92 335i,Sport,I-drive,Cold Weather,Bluetooth,Beyern Mesh 19",M-Pedals,Rear Fogs,Gp Thunder,Carbon Roundels,Coming Soon JB2,Vorsteiner Decklid,OEM Aero LipRIP9/8/06-12/11/07 Gone but never forgotten
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Damn... that sucks! Actually, you probably have vent slots in your sunroof shade and that's why it will close all the way. I wish BMW did that. Every other car I've had with a sunroof had the vents and you could have the sunroof tilted open and shade fully closed.

Glad to hear that you got the mess taken care of, and I feel for you with all the work (in panic mode no less).

Led get an X3 they let you tilt the sunrrof when the cover is closed.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

lol that musta been a rush

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0