BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335is

Possible new owner with questions

Hello all,

I'm currently eyeing a 2009-11 M3 coupe and have a few questions. I didn't see a newbie sticky or FAQ so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

How reliable are these cars? It would be a daily driver, and I've never owned a BMW, only domestic. I'm comfortable doing almost all of my own maintenance especially fluid changes.

How can you tell if the car you are looking at has the competition package?

When shopping for one, what are some things to look for/ask about? I've heard the 1200 mile service is a MUST have and can void the warranty?

Any special options you recommend?

Like I said, I'd be daily driving it, NEVER tracking or abusing it. Just want a nice ride that I can 'open up' every once in awhile.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
MTM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Lots of good info out there. Here are a few to start you off:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=436655

http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=310273

My experience has been great. 2009 with DCT, 33k, used as daily driver. Had an issue with the connection for the iPod control, and the air emissions control valve got stuck and had to be replaced. Warranty took care of all of it. If you buy from a dealer, the standard 4 year 40k warranty also covers maintenance.

Biggest thing with these cars (generally) is that it is SO much fun, you go through gas, brakes and tires.

Word of warning!!!! Do NOT test drive one unless you have already decided to buy it!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Prince_of_Persia
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 6MT E92 M3

M3s are pretty reliable (like tanks). Never had any problem. Love my M3, best car I have ever owned!
If I were you, I would get the nav as you can control your whole car with it so it is not only a navigation system. other options you should decide to see if you need them.

AW|FR 6MT E92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
MDSKIER
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' M3 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM View Post
Word of warning!!!! Do NOT test drive one unless you have already decided to buy it!
Exactly!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Cool. What's the deal with this 1200 mile service?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
Michaeljh2000
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3, 69 Vette, GSXR 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark896 View Post
My understanding is that for the first 1200 miles a special oil is used to allow the engine to break-in properly. As for maintenance though, with BMW's your covered for first 50,000 miles or 4 years. So, its unlikely the service was never done.

I've got an 09 as my DD and has been great. I absolutely love this car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeljh2000 View Post
My understanding is that for the first 1200 miles a special oil is used to allow the engine to break-in properly. As for maintenance though, with BMW's your covered for first 50,000 miles or 4 years. So, its unlikely the service was never done.

I've got an 09 as my DD and has been great. I absolutely love this car.
no special oil. just during the intial run in the oil gets fairly dirty. they are the most reliable car bmw makes and also possibly the best to date.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #8
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSKIER View Post
Exactly!
Totally agree...no turning back once you test drive.
      12-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
luis_m3
Low Pro...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreToyz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSKIER View Post
Exactly!
Totally agree...no turning back once you test drive.
Yeap... Don't do it unless you're ready to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

4 year 40k warranty also covers maintenance.

Biggest thing with these cars (generally) is that it is SO much fun, you go through gas, brakes and tires.

Agree with all this ....^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Persia View Post
M3s are pretty reliable (like tanks). Never had any problem. Love my M3, best car I have ever owned!
..... and ^^^ this

Quote:
Oil will be changed to remove any micro particles that ended up or found themselves in the engine during the assembly. Also any imperfections like little tiny metal burrs to remove them with the startup oil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now if you purchase a brand new car your maintenance needs are looked after for the first 4 years this service is included with your warranty. After 4 years or 50,000 miles you are free to do whatever you wish maintenance wise on your car. Then there are things that I did on my 2002 M3 that I would not be able to do on my 2012 M3. Technology as we all know marches on

Should you purchase used and that is a good option since the car is build for high speeds on the Autobahn ... if you find a good used one with low milage just look out for ...

a) make sure it was not abused on the track (maintenance records would point to that in way of work done to the car on file at the BMW Maintenance Department).

b) make sure the car underwent a full inspection at a BMW dealership and the report is available to you.

c) if "b" above was not done then ask for it to be done while it is being done ask the AS at the BMW maintenance department about an extended warranty for the car you have an eye on. When you do this they will make sure (I am thinking) that they inspect everything 100% since it will be there dollar if they don't.

In the end the BMW inspection report will tell you what if anything needs to be done and it will provide you with a hard document to negotiate a final selling price.

In closing; this car even as a DD is an excellent car true words are spoken by a previous poster when he wrote "like a tank" i.e. very well build the ///m Division takes a normal 3 series BMW and replaces about 50 to 60% of the 3 series parts and modifies up to 80% of the entire 3 series to design a M3. and every generation they are getting better and better. Finally; do that the warning seriously "Don't drive one unless you do plan to get one" it does get under your skin, it's just that good of a car my friend.

Good Luck finding what you seek

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #11
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Agree with all this ....^^^

..... and ^^^ this

Oil will be changed to remove any micro particles that ended up or found themselves in the engine during the assembly. Also any imperfections like little tiny metal burrs to remove them with the startup oil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now if you purchase a brand new car your maintenance needs are looked after for the first 4 years this service is included with your warranty. After 4 years or 50,000 miles you are free to do whatever you wish maintenance wise on your car. Then there are things that I did on my 2002 M3 that I would not be able to do on my 2012 M3. Technology as we all know marches on

Should you purchase used and that is a good option since the car is build for high speeds on the Autobahn ... if you find a good used one with low milage just look out for ...

a) make sure it was not abused on the track (maintenance records would point to that in way of work done to the car on file at the BMW Maintenance Department).

b) make sure the car underwent a full inspection at a BMW dealership and the report is available to you.

c) if "b" above was not done then ask for it to be done while it is being done ask the AS at the BMW maintenance department about an extended warranty for the car you have an eye on. When you do this they will make sure (I am thinking) that they inspect everything 100% since it will be there dollar if they don't.

In the end the BMW inspection report will tell you what if anything needs to be done and it will provide you with a hard document to negotiate a final selling price.

In closing; this car even as a DD is an excellent car true words are spoken by a previous poster when he wrote "like a tank" i.e. very well build the ///m Division takes a normal 3 series BMW and replaces about 50 to 60% of the 3 series parts and modifies up to 80% of the entire 3 series to design a M3. and every generation they are getting better and better. Finally; do that the warning seriously "Don't drive one unless you do plan to get one" it does get under your skin, it's just that good of a car my friend.

Good Luck finding what you seek
Thanks a lot for that. Can I take the VIN of a certain car and just call a BMW dealership to find out what the deal is with a certain car? They wouldn't charge me for that would they?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot for that. Can I take the VIN of a certain car and just call a BMW dealership to find out what the deal is with a certain car? They wouldn't charge me for that would they?
I've never done that, however, I don't see it to be a problem. Should it be I would ask a good friend that drives a BMW to ask his Service Adviser to plug the VIN number in and get the record.

Should you consider purchasing a used M3 make sure you get all the information and insist as part of the deal to have the car inspected at a BMW dealership. I would then also mention to them that you would be interested in extended warranty (even if you don't plan to get it). This I believe will make sure that the car is inspected from A to Z and it will give you a good tool to agree on a final selling / purchasing price.

When I sold my e46 this was done and a rear spring was changed and some other minor items totalling about $1K I then got my asking price.

Goof luck ..

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Yep, I thought I would check one out, went for a spin, and..... Well, I had to have me some of that. Finished negotiations yesterday, will get the car on its way Monday. Do not test drive, you have been warned!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #14
mark896
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep

Thanks, man. One last question. Is there a way to tell if a car has the competition package by just looking at it? I know the stance is a little wider, but the problem is I'm going to most likely be traveling a far distance to obtain my car (it'll be a used one), and I for sure want one with the comp package. I guess I could run the VIN at a dealership but I don't have one near..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks, man. One last question. Is there a way to tell if a car has the competition package by just looking at it? I know the stance is a little wider, but the problem is I'm going to most likely be traveling a far distance to obtain my car (it'll be a used one), and I for sure want one with the comp package. I guess I could run the VIN at a dealership but I don't have one near..
The Competition Package was introduced in MY11 to coincide with the coupe's LCI (refresh), so look for the updated tailights for starters. Next, check for the Style 359M wheels, which were part of ZCP (Comp Package). Beyond that, it'll be hard to tell. ZCP cars will sit a bit lower than those without, but it's tough to eyeball 10mm. The only way to be sure is to run a VIN or ask for the original sticker.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #16
GIdriver
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63 AMG-S

Quote:

Best piece of advice you'll get.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
runnerguy1979
One Life ... Live It
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E92 6MT ZCP Space Grey

I agree about the test drive.

The first test drive for me was incredibly satisfying...but, you don't realize until a few hours/days later how good it actually was until you find yourself doing other things but still thinking about driving the car again. In my case, I test drove 3-4 times to make sure it wasn't just a love affair that would fizzle. I wanted to be sure. I test drove different transmissions, body styles and packages in all different types of terrain. I'm actually thankful I did this because I realized I didn't care for how the convertible drove (the model I nearly purchased).

Unfortunately, the sedan isn't being built any longer. I think teamed with the 6MT, this was the tightest and most satisfying ride. My next choice was a coupe 6MT with competition. I can't wait for delivery...waiting is a painful painful process I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
Appreciate 0