BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
colinallcars
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 sedan

Introducing Myself - 2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

Hello to all!!

I am pleased to introduce myself to the crew!! My name is Colin, live in Los Angeles, and am proud owner of '08 M3 sedan 6 speed!! I have approx 3600 miles so far on it.

I have owned a 1997 M3 coupe, 1998 M3 Sedan, and prior to my new M3 a 2002 M5, so it goes without saying I'm a huge M fan!!!

Anyway, I am grateful to be a part of this forum and already have a few questions:

1. I notice that the idle seems a bit jumpy, ranging from 500-800 rpm at different times. My previous M cars seemed to always be at the exact same idle rpm with no variance whatsoever. Is this normal for the new M3? i have read on this forum some threads regarding idle valve and wonder if may be the culprit. The thread did mention a loss of power, which i have seemed to notice ( I do know this is subjective), so I took my car to the dealer and they said no faults were showing and per techs test drive he did not notice any power loss and that the idle variance is normal for these cars. i also noted that early on (from about 300 miles on the odometer to about 1400), the car would sometimes almost stall when engaging first gear from a standstill.

2. I also hear a weird ticking sound sometimes when the car is idling while stopped at stop signs or signals that goes away when I engage the clutch while still in standing mode. It seems similar to the clicking sound my 2002 M5 made when it was low on oil (which my dealer said was the oil lifters trying to push oil up into the engine). Has anyone else have this happen to their M3?

Any feedback is appreciated, and once again, I look forward to being a part of the crew!!!!

Thank you,

Colin
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinallcars View Post
Hello to all!!

I am pleased to introduce myself to the crew!! My name is Colin, live in Los Angeles, and am proud owner of '08 M3 sedan 6 speed!! I have approx 3600 miles so far on it.

I have owned a 1997 M3 coupe, 1998 M3 Sedan, and prior to my new M3 a 2002 M5, so it goes without saying I'm a huge M fan!!!

Anyway, I am grateful to be a part of this forum and already have a few questions:

1. I notice that the idle seems a bit jumpy, ranging from 500-800 rpm at different times. My previous M cars seemed to always be at the exact same idle rpm with no variance whatsoever. Is this normal for the new M3? i have read on this forum some threads regarding idle valve and wonder if may be the culprit. The thread did mention a loss of power, which i have seemed to notice ( I do know this is subjective), so I took my car to the dealer and they said no faults were showing and per techs test drive he did not notice any power loss and that the idle variance is normal for these cars. i also noted that early on (from about 300 miles on the odometer to about 1400), the car would sometimes almost stall when engaging first gear from a standstill.

2. I also hear a weird ticking sound sometimes when the car is idling while stopped at stop signs or signals that goes away when I engage the clutch while still in standing mode. It seems similar to the clicking sound my 2002 M5 made when it was low on oil (which my dealer said was the oil lifters trying to push oil up into the engine). Has anyone else have this happen to their M3?

Any feedback is appreciated, and once again, I look forward to being a part of the crew!!!!

Thank you,

Colin
Hi Colin,
welcome, the ticking is probably the so named "tupperware tapping" attributed to the flywheel. It is apparently normal, I have it, not always but usually happens when you press in the clutch too fast while the engine is loaded. It goes away when the clutch is depressed, right. It's strange that this is new to you, (this is my first M) but everything I read about it classed it as a "normal" M Noise.

I don't have the idle roughness so I can't comment.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
colinallcars
Private
Rep

Dear Paddy,

Pleasure to meet you and appreciate the comments.

I've never encountered this ticking sound in my other M's, this is the first one to have this, but if others have it and it is relatively normal, then i can scratch this concern from my list.

Does your M3 have a standard idle RPM with no variance, and if so, please advise what RPM yours idles at? Also, did you experience any near stalling when your car was between 300-1500 miles on odometer?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Paddy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Dear Paddy,

Pleasure to meet you and appreciate the comments.

I've never encountered this ticking sound in my other M's, this is the first one to have this, but if others have it and it is relatively normal, then i can scratch this concern from my list.

Does your M3 have a standard idle RPM with no variance, and if so, please advise what RPM yours idles at? Also, did you experience any near stalling when your car was between 300-1500 miles on odometer?

Thanks!!!
I'll check next time, but I believe it's not much more than 500rpm and is relatively constant. No stalling so far, I'm at about 1500 miles now.

Search for tupperware to find posts on the idle noise. If it goes away with clutch in, it's probably the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
colinallcars
Private
Rep

Paddy,

Searced the "tupperware" issue and am put at ease.

This forum is awesome!!!

Will look forward to your idle results.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Welcome to the forums. Im also an e90 M3 owner from LA. I live in the middle of glendale and pasadena. As for your idle variation concern, my e46 M3 seem to do this often and my new e90 sometimes will move around but for the most part it stays at around 850-900rpm. Im sure its normal. Well hope to see you around and congrats on the new ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Paddy,

Searced the "tupperware" issue and am put at ease.

This forum is awesome!!!

Will look forward to your idle results.

Thanks!!
Welcome, but we need some of your car....
      03-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
colinallcars
Private
Rep

I am still in dark ages, dont even have a camera on my cell phone......but will try to get one of my coworkers to take pics and post on here!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

Quote:
I am still in dark ages, dont even have a camera on my cell phone......but will try to get one of my coworkers to take pics and post on here!!
You own a $60K+ car but don't have a camera???
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #10
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
You own a $60K+ car but don't have a camera???
that's why he doesn't have a camera
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #11
drey
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan, JZB/BB

The owners manual points out that the V8 will idle roughly when cold, and that this is normal. Do you notice the problem all the time or just when the car is cold?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Paddy
Captain
Rep

I'm idling at approx 580rpm (looks close to 600 but a tad below maybe)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #13
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

I have all the error codes associated with the idle control module. It faults in cold weather (I need more data in warm weather to confirm). But when the fault does not come on, the car idles perfectly at about 600 - 650RPM. I find it (from new to 4500 miles) hard to stall this car. It pulls even at idle (unless i have the fault, then it stalls quite easily -- just turn the car off and on again and all is well). I did not take my car in to service the faults but I can't feel a loss in power when the I reset the fault.
Appreciate 0