BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-10-2009, 04:02 AM   #23
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4.0 V8

My EDC setting is on comfort 98% of the time. Alone with the normal power and DSC ON. It makes the ride so much smoother. It is a lot smoother than my e46 sports suspension. I occasionally press the M-Button just to make a sharp turn, then I turn it back to comfort to get the smooth ride. (M button: EDC normal, Power, Sport Steering, DSC ON)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:14 AM   #24
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Haven't got it, don't miss it in the slightest, its another (mostly unused option) that will be ultimately expensive to fix when it goes wrong...but if I was ordering from new I would probably spec it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #25
dno64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Grey M3

Likewise, I haven't got it, due the to car I have being such a good deal and had every other option that I wanted on it. Having said this if i ordered from new I prob would get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #26
mikewads
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Haven't got it, don't miss it in the slightest, its another (mostly unused option) that will be ultimately expensive to fix when it goes wrong...but if I was ordering from new I would probably spec it.

+1 ...except I ordered the car without EDC. I have read that BMW engineers and some car mags state normal is the best setting for around the track. Also, you never know when you might want to lower the car or put some coil-overs on it.

I guess the wife might like the comfort mode, but I did not buy the car for her.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #27
john335
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Alpine White

cool guys thanks very much for the info....
checked this morning with the sales guy, the car has it!!
yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
      03-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #28
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny212 View Post
I agree, it's a great feature for sure. When you hit the track and put the EDC in Sport mode it completely changes the car.
You know the normal mode is best for the track? It'll stiffen the suspension beyond the sport setting if it sense you're driving hard.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #29
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Same here. The default setting is awesome and I don't really feel like I need the comfort soft mode. Plus I have a set of KW V3's setting in my garage.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 01:43 AM   #30
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

I have it and really can't tell the difference between the settings... not a deal breaker.
      03-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #31
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I have it and really can't tell the difference between the settings... not a deal breaker.

Are you kidding? There is a HUGE difference between comfort and sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #32
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
Are you kidding? There is a HUGE difference between comfort and sport plus.
Not to me. Maybe that'll become more evident as time goes by, but for now - it's minor. Then again, I don't notice the rattles, DCT lag, etc. at this point. Hmm, maybe it's just bliss at this point. hehe.
      03-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #33
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Not to me. Maybe that'll become more evident as time goes by, but for now - it's minor. Then again, I don't notice the rattles, DCT lag, etc. at this point. Hmm, maybe it's just bliss at this point. hehe.
Are you through break-in yet? Maybe your mind is clouded by her beauty and aww inspiring engine? Give it time, you'll start noticing differences in the various settings and even get a better feel for the car. It actually took me about 2500 miles to get comfortable, still am getting used to the power. Turned off DSC for the first time yesterday and it was NICE!!! Can get addicting I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #34
bzoo
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 Comp Pack

I don't have it and I'm fine with it. I don't track it and use it for my daily driver. Regardless either way the car is Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #35
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanM3Lover View Post
My EDC setting is on comfort 98% of the time. Alone with the normal power and DSC ON. It makes the ride so much smoother. It is a lot smoother than my e46 sports suspension. I occasionally press the M-Button just to make a sharp turn, then I turn it back to comfort to get the smooth ride. (M button: EDC normal, Power, Sport Steering, DSC ON)

If you're not going to track the car, then I think most will not miss it. I plan to track and autocross, so it's nice to be able change to suitable settings at an event and then go back to street settings after the event. My past cars were set up for the track, but mostly driven on the street, with very little adjustment available. (I could manually adjust the shocks, but the range of change was no where near the EDC range).

I drive the opposite of you, keeping my EDC on Sport most of the time. I go to normal when the street gets rough.

Some people like to go to a more adjustable setup like coil-overs. I'd rather keep the ability to have a soft ride when needed.

Dave
      03-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #36
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by john335 View Post
i Have just done a deal to trade my 335i with a White E92 M3. i am getting worried now that it doesnt have EDC. is it a must?
It's definitely a must!

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #37
GTM
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

I do exact same thing. LOL

But yeah, I STRONGLY recommend EDC if you do NOT have plan to modify stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:58 PM   #38
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM View Post
I do exact same thing. LOL

But yeah, I STRONGLY recommend EDC if you do NOT have plan to modify stock suspension.

Most people dont plan to modify thier suspension...then they join this forum read all the posts and next thing you know their rocking KW Clubsports for their commute too and from the office!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #39
RRGOO7
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GTR

i keep mine on cadillac mode all day long
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #40
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

Quote:
My EDC setting is on comfort 98% of the time. Alone with the normal power and DSC ON. It makes the ride so much smoother. I occasionally press the M-Button just to make a sharp turn, then I turn it back to comfort to get the smooth ride. (M button: EDC normal, Power, Sport Steering, DSC ON)
EXACTLY - MUST HAVE FOR A DAILY DRIVER!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #41
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
Are you through break-in yet? Maybe your mind is clouded by her beauty and aww inspiring engine? Give it time, you'll start noticing differences in the various settings and even get a better feel for the car. It actually took me about 2500 miles to get comfortable, still am getting used to the power. Turned off DSC for the first time yesterday and it was NICE!!! Can get addicting I'm sure.
I'm suspecting that's what it is. Kind of like the new g/f where her annoying laugh doesn't bother you. 2500 miles on her and you want to throw her out a window (or stop telling jokes - less violent).
      03-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #42
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

EDC is a joke. Just a gimmick to take up button space in the console.
      03-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #43
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
EDC is a joke. Just a gimmick to take up button space in the console.

My EDC really does work. I've raced race cars (casually at Skip Barber lapping days) and autocrossed and tracked street cars (mainly my Mustangs and some Porsches) with track suspensions. All the raceable cars I've had access to up to this point beat me to death on the street. If you hit a two-inch joint they'd send you through the roof.

My M3 is the first car I've owned that's competent on the track with the mere push of a switch. I found that at the Performance Center running laps around their short track. I enjoyed that so much that I'll be driving M-cars at Virginia International Raceway in May.

I think that anyone that thinks it is a gimmick or either hasn't tried it or isn't paying attention.

Dave
      03-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #44
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

I'm not saying it doesn't work, the button certainly changes the ride quality. But a proper suspension doesn't always = stiff suspension. In fact, i've heard people talking about professionals finding that the car actually posted better lap times in the comfort setting.

My E46 had full GC coilovers with camber plates, and GC race sways. That car has every bit of a comfortable ride as my E92 in comfort setting, but performs better than the E92 stock. And i'll bet soup to nuts that once i get my TCK coilover set up on my car, which is softer than the E46 stock for stock, that it will be as comfortable as it is in EDC comfort.

I personally find that my car, on the streets i drive on, is much more composed and well behaved in comfort or normal. Sport is completely useless on city streets in my opinion. On a very smooth race track i can see some benefit, but not in the streets.

Just like BMW can't design a car to please 100% of the people, they can't design a suspension to perform in all situations. They've done a good job, but it has nothing to do with a switch which simply stiffens up the shocks. I am glad that people are enjoying it though.