BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #89
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
The point is 65 mph speed limits on freeways is often too slow. Certain sections, yes it is ok. But most freeways a 100 mph speed limit would be very safe. The autobahn with no speed limit works great and there is a lower death rate on the autobahn than our highways. So clearly speed does not kill, but rather incompetent drivers that don't know how to drive.
Exactly. The presence of incompetent drivers is as good a reason for the lower speed limit on the US Interstates as anything anyone can conjure up. It takes a lot more to get a driver's license in Europe than from the DMV bubblegum machines in the U.S. Even then, there are still some very bad drivers in Europe.

It has been more than ten years since I last drove on the Autobahn. Then it was maintained extremely well; much better than the U.S. Interstate. I doubt that has changed significantly. 100+ on a well maintained highway is inherently safer than 65 on a pockmarked slab of low-grade concrete with uneven patches and pours.

I think you're missing the point of the speed limits. The roadway design and construction may make the road safe at speeds higher than the posted limit but somewhere in the laws established by the people of the states through their elected representatives the maximum allowable speed on certains stretches and grades of highway has been set to be much lower than the theoretical maximum safe speed.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #90
RANJHA
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

+ 1000

Speed Limits = Source Of Revenue
      07-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #91
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

I'm not going to even get involved in the entire pacing argument. I'll just say i'm not an advocate. But on the topic of fighting tickets. Whether you're in the wrong or not, you should never just take a 25-over ticket. If this were the cosby show, it'd be fine, but there's no way on earth its in his best financial interest to just take the ticket. Getting it reduced to a non-reckless would be worth it, and with a decent attorney, should be too difficult of a job.

But then again, I'm biased... As a virginian, I plan to fight every single ticket that falls under those new rules. No questions asked!
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #92
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
As a virginian, I plan to fight every single ticket that falls under those new rules. No questions asked!
+1
      07-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #93
Franchise
Lookin' for my next beer
Rep
Drives: Blk Sapph '07 335i E90

I didn't bother to read all the posts, but OP has three options:
1. get a lawyer. Just about any traffic lawyer in Austin will do, you've most likely received several letters from traffic lawyers by now offering their services. You'll probably pay the price of the ticket, but they have a high likelyhood of getting it dismissed.

2. Show for your arraignment and set the matter for trial. Hell, go balls and set it for a jury trial. This is Texas, you have a constitutional right to a jury trial in any criminal matter, including speeding tickets. Understand that you'll be responsible for costs of court, though. Once that is done, move the court to reset the trial date (this is a very common traffic attorney strategy). Next, show for the reset trial and hope and pray that the cop doesn't show. Without the cop, the ticket will be dropped. There is a chance the officer won't show for the original date either, your call, but keep in mind that in most police departments the officers get overtime for court appearances. so there is a decent chance he'll be there. By resetting you hope to get a trial date that is not the officer's normal court day in which case the odds of him showing are much less. If he does show, try the case and pay or plead guilty.

3. pay the ticket.

there you go. pick one and be happy.
      07-12-2007, 12:25 AM   #94
Enkur
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
thanks to all for their suggestions. I am trying to get hold of lawyer and see where it leads.
Lady luck must have checked out completely as we were returning back from Dallas to Austin after a long day and my wife told me dont worry and she will drive. Guess what?? she got clocked 81 in 65 with a laser at 11pm ( I hate TX with their 70day/65night limits).
Man this has not been a pretty week.
      07-12-2007, 07:37 AM   #95
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
He DID prove it. "Paced" means that the officer was driving behind the speeding vehicle and noting the speed. That is about the best proof there is.

If he was doing 90 then he has no right to whine about a ticket. If you want to drive 90 MPH then be a man and take your lumps.
Hmm I guess the big pretty BMW was the only car he could have paced..I don't mind taking my lumps but don't like being a target either....fight it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 05:03 AM   #96
BMW Lawman
Supreme Commander of Allied Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Garage List
WOW....what a bunch of ignorant responses.....and some good ones. A pace is when he is driving behind you at a resonable distance and he can tell that you are going the same speed or pulling away(going faster). Police vehicles come from the factory with "Certified" speedometers, which means their acuracy is guaranteed at the time they leave the factory. Changes in tire circumference over time do lead to very minor changes in the speedometer reading. Due to these changes, secondary confirmation(radar) of the speedometer reading is necessary in Oregon. That secondary reading need not be at the same time as the pace, just within a reasonable amount of time(the same day). Maybe its different in other parts of the country, but we don't pick out speeders by the car they are driving. They tend to stick out on there own regardless of what they are driving, especially if they are driving 25 miles an hour over the speed limit.

If you don't want a speeding ticket, then stop speeding.