BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 JRZ BLK 6MT

Tire change issue......

So I just landed my first M3 but unfortunately late in the year so the winter wheels were still on.

So I took to my local tire shop to have them changed over to the summers I'd just bought off of a forum member here. They balanced and switched over the wheels, I peel off the label saying all tires were all inflated to 35 psi. I hope in the car drive off and a few miles later the tires sensor goes off.... PERFECT.

Pull over immediately and the rear left tire is almost on the rim (wasn't luckily). I them notice all the tires seemed a bit low so I checked them all... They were all min the low 20's except for the one flat which was at 9!

I am now kicking myself for not verifying the work before driving off.... But my major question is how much damage would that do to the tires....

The one at 9 psi I'm assuming I'm going to have to replace.... What about the ones at around 20 psi. Would that have done any damage you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
stevens
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

id of thought you would be fine mate, as long as it wasnt long standing, but ill let others chime in as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Aries
Germany
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

So I took to my local tire shop,, is it your own shop,,,,
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #4
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries
So I took to my local tire shop,, is it your own shop,,,,
no its a tire shop that is local to my area. about 5 km away.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
fhaze3
GLG-20
Rep
Drives: 18 Ram 2500 Ltd,e30 M52 Track

I'm not an expert, but if it were me I'd look for signs of snapped cords, unusual bulges, or anything of that sort. If it looks fine, and drives fine I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on the pressure every day for a few days. Make sure you reset the TPMS after a PSI adjustment.

..and by a few miles I'm assuming the tire didn't get smoking hot?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhaze3
I'm not an expert, but if it were me I'd look for signs of snapped cords, unusual bulges, or anything of that sort. If it looks fine, and drives fine I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep an eye on the pressure every day for a few days. Make sure you reset the TPMS after a PSI adjustment.

..and by a few miles I'm assuming the tire didn't get smoking hot?
no it wasnt too too hot. I'll keep and eye on it. The tire place said they would be taking care of me for it. but still waiting to see what that means.

thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #7
apecush
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

the tires likely seated poorly. they will likely use some bead sealant and you'll be good as gold. Nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #8
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

They could take the tire off and inspect for damage. If you stopped soon enough it may be OK. If there's any thing other than a pristine looking interior, it's safer to replace obviously.
      05-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack
They could take the tire off and inspect for damage. If you stopped soon enough it may be OK. If there's any thing other than a pristine looking interior, it's safer to replace obviously.
Without even seeing them they actually offered to replace the rear tires. The front were both at 25 so should be fine but they are going to inspect the front anyway just in case. But the backs are coming off. I'm pleased they are stepping up after not inflating any of the tires to spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #10
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin View Post
Without even seeing them they actually offered to replace the rear tires. The front were both at 25 so should be fine but they are going to inspect the front anyway just in case. But the backs are coming off. I'm pleased they are stepping up after not inflating any of the tires to spec.
That is good. If they're offering to replace best to just take their offer and have the peace of mind. Kudos to them for taking care of you with no hassle.
      05-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
Jonnykin
///M
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnykin View Post
That is good. If they're offering to replace best to just take their offer and have the peace of mind. Kudos to them for taking care of you with no hassle.
They definitely went above and beyond for me.

I bought a sizable gift card for the liquor store and am going to write a letter and send it over for them to thank them.
Appreciate 0