BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Mporium BMW

06-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A stolen one

500whp on stock internals, transmission with a torque curve that rivals twice its displacement, and not a single hiccup in over 30 passes, auto x and road courses I'd say that was a quality car. It may not be refined, but quality is durability is strength. Watch that WRX drivetrain crumble...
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #24
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Past9
Watch that WRX drivetrain crumble...
You can't blame poor drivers for blowing transmissions. I had a modified WRX and if you don't know how to drive it is certainly possible to grenade a tranny. You have to consider the fact that throwing that much torque through 4 tires instead of 2 creates a lot more stress on the driveline.

Not that I haven't seen some SRT or other front drive vehicle being pushed back off the line due to broken axles, lol.

Oh, and try taking your SRT out in the snow and let me know how much fun you have.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbrew View Post
You can't blame poor drivers for blowing transmissions. I had a modified WRX and if you don't know how to drive it is certainly possible to grenade a tranny. You have to consider the fact that throwing that much torque through 4 tires instead of 2 creates a lot more stress on the driveline.

Not that I haven't seen some SRT or other front drive vehicle being pushed back off the line due to broken axles, lol.

Oh, and try taking your SRT out in the snow and let me know how much fun you have.
You could say that about Vettes, Vipers, M3's, 335i, Supras too... the snow arguemment has no pull in this convo and a broken axle is far less serious than a toasted tranny, transfer case, clutch. Sorry pal but the WRX isn't about people knowing how to drive or not, the WRX transmission is essentially glass no matter what year even if you never see a 1/4 mile strip.
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #26
superbrew
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx

Really? How much experience do you have with WRX's? The problem is blown way out of proportion, similar to the HPFP issues with the 335. I have been to the drag strip many times with my WRX and many others and have not seen the so-called "glass" tranny problem. It really comes down to driver skill. You drop the clutch and beat on a tranny with any AWD vehicle, you are going to have problems.

Not trying to start a long argument, and I am going to assume that you have or used to have an SRT, and I know the rivalry will never die. I loved my WRX and firmly believe that it is an excellent performance value, although not much else.

Also, I live in New England, so the snow argument is valid in my situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #27
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

Guys, just face it, if it's not an SRT-4, it's inferior. The SRT-4 is the fastest car on the planet. As they used to say, the SRT-4 is teh fastor. WRXs suck and have glass trannies. BMW drivers have inferiority complexes and small penises, especially compared to the owner of a 500-hp front-driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #28
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
logic goes out the window in that situation, everyone would probably drink their own piss before they die of thirst
But drinking your own piss will still kill you pretty quickly due to the toxicity to your system . . . especially if you're dehydrated, it increases the mineral content compared to the water content.

I've watched Survivorman
      06-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #29
11Past9
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliesen View Post
But drinking your own piss will still kill you pretty quickly due to the toxicity to your system . . . especially if you're dehydrated, it increases the mineral content compared to the water content.

I've watched Survivorman
Piss is actually quite sterile, lets turn this into a piss thread!
Appreciate 0