BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

09-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1717
Blindside_137
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 SSII E90 M3 ZCP

here's mine

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #1718
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I'm glad you got the black sub, it looks a little nicer in my opinion then the white face, I've looked at them a few times, just can't pull the trigger for some reason.
Are you thinking about the daytona or explorer II?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #1719
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Just sold my JLC Master Compressor Diving for same watch but in chrono version...wish mine actually looked this pristine.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #1720
mshahidz
Major
Rep
Drives: M4, 991 GT3

Quote:
Thanks, figured that would be how it would go down in the long run, I was just trying to be lazy.

and just FYI, my old man is a PAM collector, I think he has about 8-10, one of which is the 112 and another was the 305 that I now own. He still wears his 112 fairly often, even though all his other PAMs are major collectable ones like the fifty.

I think it's his work horse so he doesn't feel bad if he damages it or anything. And he still gets compliments on it regularly.
ah! The 112 is definitely a great work horse type of watch. relatively in expensive (compared to other models), but still looks great on almost anything! Just picked up a 111, love the strap! I may sell my 112 very soon

09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #1721
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

man... lots of nice watches here.
      09-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #1722
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Still saving for a Panerai!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #1723
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

I personally cant spend the bank on watches that dont have their own movements...not going to cough up 5-10K for watch with Valjoux or ETA movement...more and more companies make their own mvts now...Many of the Panerai's dont have their own mvts.

Patek, Rolex and JLC's...no worries....gotta give some credit to Audemars Piguet though...very nice watches.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:33 AM   #1724
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
I personally cant spend the bank on watches that dont have their own movements...not going to cough up 5-10K for watch with Valjoux or ETA movement...more and more companies make their own mvts now...Many of the Panerai's dont have their own mvts.

Patek, Rolex and JLC's...no worries....gotta give some credit to Audemars Piguet though...very nice watches.
+1

A crappy iPhone pic of the movement of my new daily 5004 Fliegeruhr:

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #1725
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

beautiful watch Robin!
      09-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #1726
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post

I agree and disagree with you on this. Some of the companies using ETA movements are only using the winding parts, everything else they do is their own. Some make their own Chrono functions and add other bells and whistles to the base ETA piece. I have 2 watches with the same ETA base, and if you put them side by each and view the workings of them, they are so different. And on top of that, the finish is at different levels. But generally the companies that do this aren't asking ridiculous premiums

Now at the same time, there's companies who just put a base movement and base chrono and etc all in a simple case, then charge the moon for it. This is where I think the watch world is wrong.

I believe Panerai was a bad offender of the stick it in a pretty case and ask the moon for it. Panerai has been rectifying this lately, and they do not have many watches with an ETA movement in them anymore. They are switching over to in house.

Yes Swatch has stopped selling it's ETA movements to a lot of companies now, but it could have been easy for many of these "shunned" companies to just find another affordable base, but most are deciding to go the in house method. Ironically, this cuts out the middle man, and can actually make the companies more money in the long run because they aren't paying anyone for their parts. So the price of watches should be dropping, but it's actually going up because they know there's a demand for in house.

We are being taken advantage of as a result of the ETAs being discontinued in a lot of brands.

It's people with false information, who are making this the reality. And a lot of the watches that people thought were affordable luxury items like Tag or Omega, are now going to start being priced outside the affordable market for a lot of people.

It's almost a catch 22.

I own a few ETAs and I own several in houses, and I can tell you, my ETAs keep better time then some of the other in houses Their reliabilty is excellent because they are so time tested and hard worn by thousands of people.

PS, I have to say JLC is probably my favourite brand, I have 3 JLC watches, I fully believe for their quality and in house movement, they are one of the only companies who price their products right for the product you get. You have good taste (in my opinion) liking them
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #1727
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
+1

A crappy iPhone pic of the movement of my new daily 5004 Fliegeruhr:

Cheers
Robin
I was never a big fan of IWC, but they have been growing on me over time, and that picture of the movement helps big time

I potentially see an IWC on my wrist in the future. I need to go to the boutique in NYC so I can see all their watches in one place.

Nice looking piece Robin
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #1728
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammadz View Post
ah! The 112 is definitely a great work horse type of watch. relatively in expensive (compared to other models), but still looks great on almost anything! Just picked up a 111, love the strap! I may sell my 112 very soon

It's a good watch, I'd consider keeping it, use it more like a tool watch, or when going to the beach or whatever. Use the other one as a daily at work and nights out.

Depends if you can afford to keep 2 going or not as well. If you see $ tied up every time you look at it, then sell it, there's lots of collectors who will pick it up from you without thinking twice. Panerai watches are easy sells used.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #1729
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Agree with most of what your saying....I have a Breitling I wear as a daily and I'm pretty sure it has a eta in it and it keeps time great...my JLC master compressor diving chrono is at jlc factory for polishing.

Companies like Omega bought Zenith and hence use Zenith movements now...seems like all watch companies are now owned my Swatch or Richemont and that's why we are seeing swapping of movements now.

I think companies that use eta and valjoux are fine if it isn't a premium price but I have an issue with the ones who charge premium price while using an eta mvt without even dressing it up abit...I think we're saying the same thing.

Quote:
I agree and disagree with you on this. Some of the companies using ETA movements are only using the winding parts, everything else they do is their own. Some make their own Chrono functions and add other bells and whistles to the base ETA piece. I have 2 watches with the same ETA base, and if you put them side by each and view the workings of them, they are so different. And on top of that, the finish is at different levels. But generally the companies that do this aren't asking ridiculous premiums

Now at the same time, there's companies who just put a base movement and base chrono and etc all in a simple case, then charge the moon for it. This is where I think the watch world is wrong.

I believe Panerai was a bad offender of the stick it in a pretty case and ask the moon for it. Panerai has been rectifying this lately, and they do not have many watches with an ETA movement in them anymore. They are switching over to in house.

Yes Swatch has stopped selling it's ETA movements to a lot of companies now, but it could have been easy for many of these "shunned" companies to just find another affordable base, but most are deciding to go the in house method. Ironically, this cuts out the middle man, and can actually make the companies more money in the long run because they aren't paying anyone for their parts. So the price of watches should be dropping, but it's actually going up because they know there's a demand for in house.

We are being taken advantage of as a result of the ETAs being discontinued in a lot of brands.

It's people with false information, who are making this the reality. And a lot of the watches that people thought were affordable luxury items like Tag or Omega, are now going to start being priced outside the affordable market for a lot of people.

It's almost a catch 22.

I own a few ETAs and I own several in houses, and I can tell you, my ETAs keep better time then some of the other in houses Their reliabilty is excellent because they are so time tested and hard worn by thousands of people.

PS, I have to say JLC is probably my favourite brand, I have 3 JLC watches, I fully believe for their quality and in house movement, they are one of the only companies who price their products right for the product you get. You have good taste (in my opinion) liking them
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 09:35 AM   #1730
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

exactly, my explanation was just very long winded

how long as the JLC been away?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #1731
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

I wear my Breitling Seawolf Avenger daily. Its the titanium version much lighter than the new stainless. Usually do the metal band in the winter and the black rubber strap in the summer. Changed back to metal a couple weeks back. I still wonder why its waterproof to 10,000 feet...

Dont have a good pic but heres one i found online (same exact one)
Attached Images

Last edited by e92oholic; 09-27-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #1732
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep

ugh... I'm having a hard time deciding between these 3 watches (or none of them):

same one as above, but in an interesting yellow with red accents

any suggestions?? need to know ASAP
      09-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #1733
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I already knew Clinton is a watchguy. Today I came across this pic in the newspaper. The same watch I wear as a daily as many of you members might know. A JLC MC Navy Seals Alarm (only 1,500 produced)

@Southlight, are you paying attention?

Cheers
Robin
You know, one day!

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #1734
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
ugh... I'm having a hard time deciding between these 3 watches (or none of them):

same one as above, but in an interesting yellow with red accents

any suggestions?? need to know ASAP

B&R.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #1735
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
I wear my Breitling Seawolf Avenger daily. Its the titanium version much lighter than the new stainless. Usually do the metal band in the winter and the black rubber strap in the summer. Changed back to metal a couple weeks back. I still wonder why its waterproof to 10,000 feet...

Dont have a good pic but heres one i found online (same exact one)
Now that is the first Breitling watch that I actually like. It's much less 'busy' than most of their other watches and I love the look in titanium.
      09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #1736
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Now that is the first Breitling watch that I actually like. It's much less 'busy' than most of their other watches and I love the look in titanium.
Yeah thats why i got it. Its not flashy and shiny like stainless steel and its so much lighter. Only issue with the titanium is it scratches very easy and it has to be sent back to be polished out. Oh well after the winter ill send it in and make it look purdy again. I still remember the first day I picked it up and it was flawless ahhh one day it will be again
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #1737
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah thats why i got it. Its not flashy and shiny like stainless steel and its so much lighter. Only issue with the titanium is it scratches very easy and it has to be sent back to be polished out. Oh well after the winter ill send it in and make it look purdy again. I still remember the first day I picked it up and it was flawless ahhh one day it will be again
I have an inexpensive Skagen that is titanium and you are absolutely right about the scratching. It's a minor inconvenience though.
      09-27-2012, 06:58 PM   #1738
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I call the scratches an aged look

titanum is nice.
Appreciate 0