BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #23
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Cobalt Friction XR1 are the best in the business (see ALMS)
PFC 01 are still the benchmark but now older
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #24
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I used PFC 01 last season and plan to use them again this year. Never experienced any fading and have just under half the pad material left after 15 track days last season. As far as rotor friendliness... I'll probably be getting new rotors this year, but I'm fairly certain I would be no matter what pad I'd used after that many days.

They're definitely NOT a street pad - they're loud until they get up to temp.

One "con" to think about is that they don't have the clamps to hold them to the calipers (they float) and so make clapping noises when you're not using the brakes. I only noticed it when driving through the pits though.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I have experience with the Carbotech XP-10 and the Pagid R19 and 29. IMO, the Pagid is a better pad, but the Carbotech a much better value. I found both pads to be compatible with the street pads with which I was alternating use. You probably already know this, but unless you have a very long drive home from the track, it’s a good idea to keep the track pads on until you get home. Operating at cooler temps will scrub off the pad material transferred during high temp track use. It will take most street pads a lot longer to clean the rotors, and some may not be able at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #26
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I have experience with the Carbotech XP-10 and the Pagid R19 and 29. IMO, the Pagid is a better pad, but the Carbotech a much better value. I found both pads to be compatible with the street pads with which I was alternating use. You probably already know this, but unless you have a very long drive home from the track, it’s a good idea to keep the track pads on until you get home. Operating at cooler temps will scrub off the pad material transferred during high temp track use. It will take most street pads a lot longer to clean the rotors, and some may not be able at all.
Thank you for the input. I'm leaning towards the XP-10s, since they cost 1/2 what the Pagids do and are at least close in performance. I'm still in the intermediate run groups but have been pushing the car pretty hard and my times are dropping pretty consistently.

I"ve already thought of the drive to and from the track, and yes they end up being the perfect "anti-bed in" rotor scrubbers before putting the street pads back on at home! Most of my track days are at Road Atlanta, which is close, but I am going to drive to VIR in April, which I'm uncertain about driving 450 highway miles each way with race pads on. Would probably have to re-bed in the brakes closer to track arrival.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #27
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
I used PFC 01 last season and plan to use them again this year. Never experienced any fading and have just under half the pad material left after 15 track days last season. As far as rotor friendliness... I'll probably be getting new rotors this year, but I'm fairly certain I would be no matter what pad I'd used after that many days.

They're definitely NOT a street pad - they're loud until they get up to temp.

One "con" to think about is that they don't have the clamps to hold them to the calipers (they float) and so make clapping noises when you're not using the brakes. I only noticed it when driving through the pits though.
I got this too. I thought I had "broken" my brakes since it was the first time I had DIY'd changing pads! It wasn't until I checked with Performance Friction that this was usual (but I wish I was warned!)

I used PFC-01 and Hawk DTC-70. The PFC-01 were far superior, although I did warp a backing plate and crake the covering after ~ 6 days. The DTC-70s had plenty of stopping power, but were less and less consistent towards the end of the session. I am going to try Pagids this season and hope for manufacturer sponsorship! (yeah, right! LOL) and see which brand is the best for me
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 10:32 PM   #28
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I got this too. I thought I had "broken" my brakes since it was the first time I had DIY'd changing pads! It wasn't until I checked with Performance Friction that this was usual (but I wish I was warned!)
Me too! It took 3 separate people joyriding with me through the pits before we figured out what it was. What a huge relief when we did! I thought I'd majorly messed something up.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Merged with an existing thread over in the Track section. Also some good info here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396763
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #30
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

PFC 06 on all 4 corners. Work great no fade and fine on street (noisy though) so I leave them on between events.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #31
nez
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I'm sporting a set of CL RC6E on front and rears. Supposedly rotor friendly as well as long lasting. Never used PFC-01 or Pagids to compare to but they didn't fade on the track day when I first used them. Having said that, I'm a beginner so it's unlikely i stressed them too hard. They are quite noisey and they clank like crazy as well because they don't have the retention clips on the pads either.

Here's a vid with them on, you can hear the clanking clearly at 0:50 into the vid.

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #32
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Has anyone tried StopTech Street Performance Pads on their stock brakes? I use them on my BBK and am very impressed. Obviously the temperature is lower on the BBK but it might be worth a try.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #33
racer01
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' 335i sedan, 2011 M3 ZCP

I am also interested in any experience with folks running the stoptech street perf pads at the track with stock calipers and rotors. They are a bargain at <$200 for both axles and seem to be able to handle medium track use and still be quiet on the street with non-corrosive dust. They get great reviews for mild/med track use with the big brake kits.
I typically avoid a "dual purpose" pad, but it seems technology has possibly got to a point that you can use the same pad for street and mild track use....my local track (Roebling Road) is pretty easy on brakes.
Sooooo......anybody tried them or do I have to be the first?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #34
wwjd15
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR

Endless me20

If money isn't tight, I would recommend endless me20. It can be used as DD since it's so damn quiet before cooked. I have them on my Gtr, they have lasted for 15 track days so far and still have about 15-20 track days to go I guess. The stopping power similar to rs29 which is how much u push how much u get type of pads. But they make lots of dust though if u care about this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #35
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

I just purchased the Pagid RS19s from Turner and plan to try them out this weekend with the stock rotors and calipers. The front pads are on sale right now for $304.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #36
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Ran 4 x 25min. sessions yesterday at the AAA Speedway Roval with only Pagid RS19s and ATE Gold. I went with the gold for fear of warranty issues when I take the car in for service.

It was a cool day and perhaps I'm not as hard on the brakes as others (I'm not running R-Comps yet). I can report no brake fade. Pedal was really firm with good initial bite which gave me a lot of confidence coming off the high speed straights. I'll pull the pads off this evening, but I don't expect there to be much wear. I'm excited that I didn't have to purchase a BBK to get good performance!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #37
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Ran 4 x 25min. sessions yesterday at the AAA Speedway Roval with only Pagid RS19s and ATE Gold. I went with the gold for fear of warranty issues when I take the car in for service.

It was a cool day and perhaps I'm not as hard on the brakes as others (I'm not running R-Comps yet). I can report no brake fade. Pedal was really firm with good initial bite which gave me a lot of confidence coming off the high speed straights. I'll pull the pads off this evening, but I don't expect there to be much wear. I'm excited that I didn't have to purchase a BBK to get good performance!

Good deal, the pagid yellows are great pads. Thanks for the sale price tip, I ordered two sets of fronts (wear about 4x times to rears). My warm up sessions are 30 minutes, followed by open track day ~4-5 hours of driving.
      02-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:

I like the Pagid RS-19 too. I've used them for a total of 10 track days including 4 days and 500 miles at Road America this past fall. I have at least 60% of the fronts and more than that on the rear left. I think they are fantastic. I've not had any fade yet and I've had them really hot after a black flag session (no cool down). They also have the proper clips like the stock pads and if you wanted you could run then the pad wear sensors (I don't think it's necessary). They are costly, but this is one case where you get what you pay for. That's not to say that there aren't other pads that might be just as good, but these are proven and work well on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #39
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, SG & '89 635 CSi

COBALT XR2's. Great anchors, easy on (OEM) rotors, dust comes off easily, $550 ish for all 4 corners, Pig squeals when cold remind you NOT for the street. Good clean fun!
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #40
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Yeah, I finally decided on the Pagids because they would wear well, they have the metal clips AND the notch for the pad sensor....the complete package.

Unfortunately, when I went to change the pads back to OEM on my LR, I found the sensor to be missing. In fact it appears that the whole thing including the wiring was ripped completely off. The little spring/clip must have failed or I put it back incorrectly. The dash warning light has not come on yet. I'm assuming it's because the other rear sensor is still intact. I wonder if the dealership would cover the sensor replacement if it just "fell out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I like the Pagid RS-19 too. I've used them for a total of 10 track days including 4 days and 500 miles at Road America this past fall. I have at least 60% of the fronts and more than that on the rear left. I think they are fantastic. I've not had any fade yet and I've had them really hot after a black flag session (no cool down). They also have the proper clips like the stock pads and if you wanted you could run then the pad wear sensors (I don't think it's necessary). They are costly, but this is one case where you get what you pay for. That's not to say that there aren't other pads that might be just as good, but these are proven and work well on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #41
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Endless Ma45b! Really great pad and not to hard on the rotors. Teams driving the 24h of the Nürburgring manage the full race on one set :-)
I have them myself, and compared to the Pagid RS29 they have more bite, easier to modulate and last more then twice as long.

http://www.endless-brake.info/competition-brake-pads
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #42
enricob
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
Endless Ma45b! Really great pad and not to hard on the rotors. Teams driving the 24h of the Nürburgring manage the full race on one set :-)
I have them myself, and compared to the Pagid RS29 they have more bite, easier to modulate and last more then twice as long.

http://www.endless-brake.info/competition-brake-pads
hi Marcel!!!

where i can find Endless pads for M3 in the web?

ps

SPA Francorschamps 18th April
Nordschleife 20-21th April

will you come?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #43
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yeah, I finally decided on the Pagids because they would wear well, they have the metal clips AND the notch for the pad sensor....the complete package.

Unfortunately, when I went to change the pads back to OEM on my LR, I found the sensor to be missing. In fact it appears that the whole thing including the wiring was ripped completely off. The little spring/clip must have failed or I put it back incorrectly. The dash warning light has not come on yet. I'm assuming it's because the other rear sensor is still intact. I wonder if the dealership would cover the sensor replacement if it just "fell out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Sensors are just a bad idea for the track. I've shattered mine from the heat from leaving them on during track days. Best to either zip tie them to control arms or remove them all together.
And no, they are not covered under warranty when they are melted.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #44
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Sensors are just a bad idea for the track. I've shattered mine from the heat from leaving them on during track days. Best to either zip tie them to control arms or remove them all together.
And no, they are not covered under warranty when they are melted.
Ha! I guess I never considered that the pad sensor might MELT. I'm gonna zip tie them back next time for sure. Also, I could have sworn that I had a sensor on all four sides, but the more posts I read the more I'm thinking that the driver's rear was never there in the first place.
Appreciate 0