BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

12-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
Question What's the 5 Series of Wrist Watches?

The new car is coming and it's time to get a new daily wrist watch to compliment the car. I have a BMW watch already from 05 when I got my 330 but all of the current designs seem just too sporty. I'm trying to find something thats a nice cross between Sport & Luxury and would fit with the F10.

I'd also like an automatic movement and BMW Lifestyles doesn't offer anything with that movement.

This is what I was thinking as for style, but I think 2K+ a bit much for a daily watch.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/tag-heue...6-001517B1882A

I'd love to find a watch that matches my car but I ordered Mojave / Oyster Black w Light wood so thats unlikely I'll find a watch in that color scheme.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And I should mention, German is preferred of course
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #3
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Tag Heuer is without a doubt a solid choice.
      12-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I think it's silly trying to match material posessions for the purpose of maintaining some image or status. Buy what you like and what fits your budget. I would never assume a particular watch brand when I think of a 5-series. I have co-workers who live in million dollar pads but wear a Seiko everyday and then guys who rent normal apartments but wear a rollie.

With that said, if you want a "nice" high-end watch 2k is really where the prices begin. The Carrera is a nice daily watch imo, it's elegant enough to wear out but has the practical feel for a daily and isn't pretentious like some of the other models/brands. If luxury name is a must but you don't want to spend $2500ish, I'd go with a regular Tag Aquaracer. Automatics are heavy and truth is you won't wear it everyday. The one weekend you go without you'll have to reset it and that turns out to be more often than you think. Sometimes I even take my automatic off when I'm at work b/c its so heavy while I'm on the pc.
      12-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #5
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

I'm looking at getting a Rolex, and I'm finding a lot of good deals on used Datejust Rolexes for $2400-$2500. Many are barely used/like new.

I'm getting a used Submariner. Super cool IMO.

Otherwise, Tag or Omega make very nice looking watches for less $$
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

This would be a good start...

http://e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8321&page=35
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
WillS
Enlisted Member
Rep

I would look at more independent makers, as much of the 'higher-end' companies are just part of a consortium (think Luxxotica with sunglasses).
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #8
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I think it's silly trying to match material posessions for the purpose of maintaining some image or status. Buy what you like and what fits your budget. I would never assume a particular watch brand when I think of a 5-series. I have co-workers who live in million dollar pads but wear a Seiko everyday and then guys who rent normal apartments but wear a rollie.

With that said, if you want a "nice" high-end watch 2k is really where the prices begin. The Carrera is a nice daily watch imo, it's elegant enough to wear out but has the practical feel for a daily and isn't pretentious like some of the other models/brands. If luxury name is a must but you don't want to spend $2500ish, I'd go with a regular Tag Aquaracer. Automatics are heavy and truth is you won't wear it everyday. The one weekend you go without you'll have to reset it and that turns out to be more often than you think. Sometimes I even take my automatic off when I'm at work b/c its so heavy while I'm on the pc.
I'm not interested in the status so much so brand isn't a big deal. I just don't know enough about automatic watches and different brands so I was curious what other people thought before I head into watch store knowing so little. My watch always seems to catch my eye when I'm driving so thats why the association to the 5 seems interesting to me.

I'm looking for something I can wear just about everyday. I too would likely take it off while I'm working at my desk. I've have had an automatic before so I'm pretty use to the weight and having to reset it. I just love the engineering behind them.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

As the other, long thread already proves, watches are a complex topic. If you're serious about German brands, check out Sinn:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=81

or the broad German subforum:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=19

There are a few other brands in your stated price range that might suit your taste, Damasko, Archimede and Stowa all come to mind. There are also some more expensive German brands like A Lange & Soehne or Glashuette Original that make superb timepieces.

I have a Sinn 856 that I wear daily, it's been a great watch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sinn. It doesn't hurt that I used to work in Frankfurt and have dealt directly with them a few times.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

This will be my next watch purchase:

http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...110.BA0781.jpg

It's unreal in person.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #11
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Baume et Mercier, Oris, Ball, all have very nice mechanical autos for under 2k. You don't care for the "brand name" and most people won't recognize it like they would a Rolex or Tag but that's a good thing IMO (not knocking those watches at all)

These Baume are similar in form to the link you posted

Under 2k on amazon
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Baume et Mercier, Oris, Ball, all have very nice mechanical autos for under 2k. You don't care for the "brand name" and most people won't recognize it like they would a Rolex or Tag but that's a good thing IMO (not knocking those watches at all)

These Baume are similar in form to the link you posted

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51PaBSGHrnL.jpg[/img]

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61uPC2mE-hL._AA1000_.jpg[/img]

Under 2k on amazon

love my baume
      12-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
mbintx
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i, Miata, and a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
As the other, long thread already proves, watches are a complex topic. If you're serious about German brands, check out Sinn:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=81

or the broad German subforum:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...eadt&frm_id=19

There are a few other brands in your stated price range that might suit your taste, Damasko, Archimede and Stowa all come to mind. There are also some more expensive German brands like A Lange & Soehne or Glashuette Original that make superb timepieces.

I have a Sinn 856 that I wear daily, it's been a great watch and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Sinn. It doesn't hurt that I used to work in Frankfurt and have dealt directly with them a few times.
Cool. Another Dallasite with a Sinn! I was also going to recommend this brand highly. Bang for the buck, I think it's the best value out there. I have a 103 Sa st and a U1 and absolutely love them both.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #14
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
Wow, those Baume's posted are really nice and classic. I can't tell for sure from those pics, but do Baume's generally have a really thin case?

This will be my next watch. Tag Link Calibre 16

12-05-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
mike the snake
Captain
Rep

Wow! That's a really cool looking watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
Wow, those Baume's posted are really nice and classic. I can't tell for sure from those pics, but do Baume's generally have a really thin case?

This will be my next watch. Tag Link Calibre 16

Appreciate 0