BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #23
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Yeah, 2008 E90s had fold down rear seats with CWP only.
Knew I'd run across that fact somewhere - mine's an '08 (w/ CWP).

I really like the look of the aluminum trim in mine, like you said, the contrast is nice. However, if you ever have to park it in the sun, the trim on the door can get wicked hot!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 SG M3 ZCP / DCT

Ordering has been postponed for a day. I couldn't find my Florida Title to sell the car in time today. Back to the bank with the buyer tomorrow.

After seeing a 2013 M5 on the military base today, I'm really wishing I could afford one. Those brakes/rotors are HUGE. The motor looks badass too.

I just can't believe an Enlisted Air Force guy can afford that... He works Air Traffic Control, so I'm sure he gets a huge bonus every 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone Chris View Post
I'm suppose to finalise the sale of my 2005 Pontiac GTO tomorrow at 2:00pm. After that I'm hitching a ride to the BMW dealership to place an order for a 2013 M3

My plan is to order the following:

Space Grey
Carbon Roof
DCT
Competition package
Premium Package
Black Novillo leather
Carbon Leather Trim
BMW Apps (I use Mog and Pandora on a daily basis)
Heated Seats
**edit** Premium Sound

Not sure about the Hi beam assist, Cold weather package and XM Radio

In my opinion I think that high beam assist is for lazy folks. I'd rather keep my attention focused on the road and flip the beams myself. Is the assist worth the $250?

I've heard people say to stay away from the cold weather package as the headlight washers overspray way too much, so I plan on omitting the cold weather option, since I don't need a ski bag; however, just included heated seats. Hopefully this is the right move.

Also, I've read that Sirius Radio can be added at a later time by purchasing a license since it's already built into the car. Is this true? I will have an American Spec car; however, it will be in England for the next 2 years till I return back to the U.S, therefore, I will not need XM till then.

Any other recommendations or suggestions from the M3 veterans in here? Anything I'm forgetting? I hope to be part of the BMW clan very soon. I believe the dealership has a November or December slot available. Shouldn't be a long wait.
I think you have already answered your questions in the body of your post. Nicely done.
      09-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #26
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
After seeing a 2013 M5 on the military base today, I'm really wishing I could afford one. Those brakes/rotors are HUGE. The motor looks badass too.
Well they have to be that large considering the amount of weight they're expected to stop! I think you'll enjoy the M3. After having driven a 1M and a Subaru BRZ over the last few weeks, I'm realizing more and more how much more fun a car is when it's light, even if it's down on power. If I were to get an M5 (I'm still a ways off from affording one myself), I would probably use it mostly as a DD and get something lighter and "purer" for the track and even for spirited drives on back roads. But that setup would waste a lot of the M5's potential. Of course most owners will probably use it in exactly that way since they'll just want the quick bursts of power on the freeway, the engine sound, and the badge, but I'd feel guilty wasting a car like that -- but not guilty enough to deal with 4300 lbs on a track.

I dunno, I think the 3700 lbs of my M3 is my upper limit for weight on my "fun" car. The BRZ made that especially clear since it's lighter by a whopping 1000 lbs! It's definitely down on power (needs a turbo which is coming) and the back seats are useless, but it felt so absolutely perfect in the corners that I honestly didn't care about not being able to power out of them. I missed the V8 sound (though the four-banger in there has a good sound, one of the best fours I've ever heard), but otherwise it was absolutely fantastic. And all that fun for the cost of an Accord!

All that to say, I think that if you're the type who drives for the enjoyment of driving, you chose the right car. There'll always be time to get a turbo car later, but you're getting what is arguably one of BMW M's high water marks for engines and the very last of an entire era.

Besides, your buddy with that M5 probably won't be able to drive it for a few weeks due to the oil pump issue anyway.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 09-24-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #27
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post

All that to say, I think that if you're the type who drives for the enjoyment of driving, you chose the right car. There'll always be time to get a turbo car later, but you're getting what is arguably one of BMW M's high water marks for engines and the very last of an entire era.

Besides, your buddy with that M5 probably won't be able to drive it for a few weeks due to the oil pump issue anyway.
Main reason I'm ordering one this year is due to the end of the V8 in the M3. I'm gonna find it very hard not to take it out much in the winter time in England.

Funny you say that about the M5's oil pump. While I was chatting with him, he told me that BMW bought his car back as the computer kept on braking in it. I'm assuming he had a lemon. Now he gets a brand new M5 and they have issues with the oil pump.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Your choices seem just right. Not sure how many mods you plan on doing but including the OEM splitters and spoiler along with the BMW Performance exhaust in your delivery might be the way to go.

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #29
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

no DCT
and FR instead of black
no cold weather needed
      09-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #30
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Your options are all on point but I'd recommend getting the XM radio now as opposed to later as it is more than just a serial #, in fact you get 1 year free subscription via BMW.

Where do you reside in the states?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #31
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic
Your options are all on point but I'd recommend getting the XM radio now as opposed to later as it is more than just a serial #, in fact you get 1 year free subscription via BMW.

Where do you reside in the states?
All over the place. I'm currently living in England and for the next 2 years, then will see where the Air Force will send me.

2005 Pontiac GTO - 6Spd - 445 RWHP/415 RWTQ - SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #32
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS View Post
Your choices seem just right. Not sure how many mods you plan on doing but including the OEM splitters and spoiler along with the BMW Performance exhaust in your delivery might be the way to go.
+1....add the mirror caps to that spoiler and exhaust, and you are in BUSINESS!
I would take mirror caps and spoiler over souped radio any day of the week.
      09-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #33
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peahi View Post
+1....add the mirror caps to that spoiler and exhaust, and you are in BUSINESS!
I would take mirror caps and spoiler over souped radio any day of the week.
hmmm, I def want those carbon fiber pieces; however, the dealer never mentioned anything about them. I'll have to ask today. As far as I can tell our options are very limited when ordering from BMW Military Sales. Very ironic as they are built a couple hundred miles away.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 01:05 AM   #34
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
hmmm, I def want those carbon fiber pieces; however, the dealer never mentioned anything about them. I'll have to ask today. As far as I can tell our options are very limited when ordering from BMW Military Sales. Very ironic as they are built a couple hundred miles away.
Insist on them...in the US, they install at the port of entry I believe. When I ordered my car from Steve Thomas, I had them install the M perf exhaust. I wish I had done the mirror caps and spoiler at that time.

The spoiler makes a serious impact. I also forgot...I wish I got the performance carbon interior trim. Carbon leather is cool and all, but the real deal is even better. Anyhows, when you get all the goodies with the car, maybe they can roll it all into the final invoice...and include the goodies in your overall payments. Better than piling stuff on later on a credit card bill with high interest.
      09-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #35
BLACK OPS
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
I purchased mine through military sales as well and I was given the option to include the items into the total sales amount. As mentioned this would give you a lower interest rate on these items compared to buying them afterwards. If not it's not a big deal if not but it is nice to not worry about these mods immediately after purchase (unless like many people who have them stacked in their garage before delivery)! You might also want to see what BMW can do for you when it is time for US shipment. Maybe they can help you out there versus paying out of pocket on commercial cargo?

2011.75 Jet Black E92 ///M3: ZCP|6MT|FR|EVOLVE 600 SUPERCHARGER|DINAN|BBS|VORSTEINER|BMW PERFORMANCE|IND EDITION|TMS|LUX 5K|
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #36
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK OPS
Quote:
I purchased mine through military sales as well and I was given the option to include the items into the total sales amount. As mentioned this would give you a lower interest rate on these items compared to buying them afterwards. If not it's not a big deal if not but it is nice to not worry about these mods immediately after purchase (unless like many people who have them stacked in their garage before delivery)! You might also want to see what BMW can do for you when it is time for US shipment. Maybe they can help you out there versus paying out of pocket on commercial cargo?
I asked the dealer today, and I cannot get those options installed from the factory. Oh well, I'll just wait and get them later on.

Delivery back to the US will be free. I will just have to pick it up from the port.

Now I need to purchase some rear uk spec lights (amber) and a fog light switch in order to get the m3 registered in England.

2013 BMW M3 Coupe - /// Competition Pkg /// Premium Pkg /// Dual Clutch Transmission /// BMW Apps /// Heated Seats ///
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #37
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Oh yea. Almost forgot. Just ordered it with the specs in my 1st post along with a $3000 ordering deposit. Now the long wait. I should have a production week by Friday.

Can't wait.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #38
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

All of the options are worth ticking EXCEPT the High Beam Assist option which is a true waste of $250.

How do you find driving a leftie in the UK?

Edit- congrats on finalizing the order.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #39
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter View Post
All of the options are worth ticking EXCEPT the High Beam Assist option which is a true waste of $250.

How do you find driving a leftie in the UK?

Edit- congrats on finalizing the order.
Thanks.

Doesn't bother me much driving LHD cars here, except when trying to overtake on a 1 lane road. Drive thru's are non existent, so no issue there.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #40
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Good to know... Even though I may not need the seats to fold down, you never know when you might need to stick in a 2x4 in the car
Actually, I have a 2013 equipped as you suggest in your OP. You will be able to carry your 2X4 without folding down the rear seat. Even though I did not order the cold weather package, the rear armrest has the pass-through hole that the ski bag is supposed to attach to. The whole affair has a cheap feel that even my children instantly dismissed. It's too bad, really. Fortuantely, if you keep the flimsy armrest closed, the deficiencies of the design are concealed.

The trim is a matter of taste. The aluminum was not to my taste. It said "stainless steel appliances" to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon View Post
Great color combo, you will never go wrong with Space Grey. The premium sound makes a huge difference, I would personally drop the Competition package for Navigation though. Unless you're really into the wheels the money spent on the Competition package is a huge waste. Adding navigation to my car instead of cold weather was something I was very pleased with. Just my two cents...
Navigation is included with Premium starting MY2012.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 11:42 PM   #42
Cyclone Chris
US Air Force. HUAP.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@ModeCarbon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Navigation is included with Premium starting MY2012.
Then you my friend, have the perfect car. Just keep in mind what I said about the Competition Package.

Words of Jeremy Clarkson,

"So there we are, the Competition pack, you spend 4 grand and what you get in exchange is a normal $65,000 m3, with a little button that makes it worse"

"Does make the car very uncomfortable"

Watch Top Gear Season 16 Episode 5 for a full Competition package review.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/top_gear/
Huge fan of top gear over here. As a matter of fact it constantly plays on tv here in England. I've seen the episode you're talking about, and even though I have not tested the comp package on a rest drive, I'm glad I will have it as an option to turn it on. Besides, those wheels look badass on the comp package, and cost more than half the price of the option.

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #43
Detroit M3
Major
Rep
Drives: Murdered E92 M3

Quote:
Huge fan of top gear over here. As a matter of fact it constantly plays on tv here in England. I've seen the episode you're talking about, and even though I have not tested the comp package on a rest drive, I'm glad I will have it as an option to turn it on. Besides, those wheels look badass on the comp package, and cost more than half the price of the option.
Yeah it's really about whether or not you plan on keeping the wheels! IMO
      09-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #44
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Hey that fat wreck Clarkson is on constantly in our house too. There's a U.S. version of Top Gear but we never watch it, because without Clarkson, where's the fun?

Anyway, one question for you. The audience members look like a tough crowd. like the folks over hear who watch bass fishing shows (guilty), whereas BBC America appeals to a different demo here. If Clarkson has universal appeal in the U.K., how come only the toughs come out to see him live?
Appreciate 0