BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

04-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Pre-Lci iDrive and iPhone

I bought a used 2008 E90 M3 with the iDrive.

How is the iPod/ iPhone adapter supposed to route? In all the pictures I see a usb port in the arm rest however in my car the cable is coming from the glove box.

The interface for the iDevice is via CD changer as well which leads me to think it is an aftermarket solution.

I have my iPhone wired up via a firewire 30 pin adapter to usb 30 pin to lightning adapter and it's actually all working really great.

However I just want to run a regular iPhone usb to lightning cable instead of all these adapters.

Also... What are the current aftermarket iDrive adapters?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
nasa60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

I have an 08 as well, original owner. The ipod/iphone interface was an option in 08 as I recall. I can confirm when I get home and look at the sticker. My car came with an adapter cord that splits and has a USB and a mini RCA plug that connect in the center armrest.
      04-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

it looks like you have an aftermarket...

The OEM is in the center arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
tokic_o
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 / F36 430i / E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa60 View Post
I have an 08 as well, original owner. The ipod/iphone interface was an option in 08 as I recall. I can confirm when I get home and look at the sticker. My car came with an adapter cord that splits and has a USB and a mini RCA plug that connect in the center armrest.
I am in the same boat as you. I also have the adapter cord and its connected to my center armrest. However, I upgraded to n iPhone 5 and the cable plugs into an iPhone 4s and older

I purchased an adapter cable off eBay to plug into the old plug and have the outlet to plug into my iPhone 5. However, I lost the music playing capability LOL all that happens is my phone gets charged but I can't view my music on my idrive and can't even play it (eventhough the RCA plug is plugged in the original cord)

Any help?

THanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasa60 View Post
Can you take a picture of this piece?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
bmwretrofit
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokic_o View Post
I am in the same boat as you. I also have the adapter cord and its connected to my center armrest. However, I upgraded to n iPhone 5 and the cable plugs into an iPhone 4s and older

I purchased an adapter cable off eBay to plug into the old plug and have the outlet to plug into my iPhone 5. However, I lost the music playing capability LOL all that happens is my phone gets charged but I can't view my music on my idrive and can't even play it (eventhough the RCA plug is plugged in the original cord)

Any help?

THanks!
Most likely you'll need a Combox Media in order to play the music (it will also allow you to play music via Blueooth). If you're interested, just shoot me an email with your vehicle's VIN (vehicle identification number), and I'll be happy to assist.

Kate
info@bimmerretrofit.com
Appreciate 0