BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW
View Poll Results: Does your car have a clear bra?
Yes, got one right away 73 51.41%
Yes, I will or want to get one 9 6.34%
No. 60 42.25%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #45
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class-of-2013 View Post
eh, if it's a leased car, clear bra-ing is probably a waste of money. You're essentially keeping it nice for the next person. In the event you want to buy the car later, you could respray / touch up some areas.

Look at this clear bra yellowing, gross.

Attachment 802216
Very true, but a nice car wil have a much higher resale value... even on a lease where they wont ding you for the damage to the car.

As far as film yellowing there are numerous brands of film, some may yellow while others wont. And even some films yellow because the owner applied petroleum based products to the film (most quic waxes have them in it) which casuse a chemical reaction and "burn" the film... making it look yellow. Either way its covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #46
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-tect mobile View Post
Very true, but a nice car wil have a much higher resale value... even on a lease where they wont ding you for the damage to the car.

As far as film yellowing there are numerous brands of film, some may yellow while others wont. And even some films yellow because the owner applied petroleum based products to the film (most quic waxes have them in it) which casuse a chemical reaction and "burn" the film... making it look yellow. Either way its covered under warranty.
I just saw the application of a nice clear bra (Ventureshield) recently on a GT3RS, 911 T, and M3, there's simply no getting around the lines that show around the bumper areas, as there are some sharp and awkward angles you can have to cut around the headlight, grills, etc. The application was uber professional and they tried to get super super close with a custom cut, but even then, some lines weren't robotic perfect.

They may seem invisble to some, but to me there are visible and my eyes would track to them. Also, it's worse on a white or black car (especiallly black), because the shine of the paint is different than the rest of the car.

Resale value is a moot point when you're planning to lease and return the car, that's the point I'm trying to make. If you own the car and plan to keep it forever, then that's different naturally.

I wish someone would just invent something you could buy for this car that is affordable as track car protection and reusable from track day to track day. I don't care if it's somewhat imperfect in the look, as long as it was doing its job.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #47
S65NAPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

It also dawned on me that if I kept the car, I would most likely put on a Arkym type bumper or get the 1M conversion. Possible even get a CF hood and paint it JB + other items. By default, I would have to re-paint the car anyways. And even if I didn't, a respray would be $1100 for the bumper and hood Similar price to Clear Bra.
      01-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #48
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
eh, if it's a leased car, clear bra-ing is probably a waste of money. You're essentially keeping it nice for the next person. In the event you want to buy the car later, you could respray / touch up some areas.

Look at this clear bra yellowing, gross.

Attachment 802216
That is gross!

I just sent my car to my favorite auto body and paint shop. They are respraying my 4 yr old front bumper for $500. I figure $500 every 3-4 yrs not bad. Clear bra is about the same price but makes the car fugly.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #49
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
That is gross!

I just sent my car to my favorite auto body and paint shop. They are respraying my 4 yr old front bumper for $500. I figure $500 every 3-4 yrs not bad. Clear bra is about the same price but makes the car fugly.
, that's what I thought as well. I guess you have to live with a couple knicks here and there, but that can be similar to noticing the lines on the car or worse yet, yellowing bra / plasticky sheen.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #50
Peahi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

No plastic wrap for me. I roll with no armor plate
      01-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #51
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

Full hood, full fenders, front bumper and mirrors with Xpel Ultimate. Can't see any seams/lines on my black car - this will depend on the quality of your installer. Besides road hazard, the clear bra also saved my paint from vanadalism. Poured a chocolate milkshake and tried to key my whole hood - clear bra took the damage but the paint underneath was fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #52
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
I've had two different ones on at this point. I would recommend it. They will deflect damage that would normally be more extensive. In the end, you could remove and have perfect paint underneath.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #53
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchan50 View Post
Full hood, full fenders, front bumper and mirrors with Xpel Ultimate. Can't see any seams/lines on my black car - this will depend on the quality of your installer. Besides road hazard, the clear bra also saved my paint from vanadalism. Poured a chocolate milkshake and tried to key my whole hood - clear bra took the damage but the paint underneath was fine.
Damn, that's brutal. Now that's a clear bra!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #54
nchan50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 JzB/FR e92 M3

Quote:
Damn, that's brutal. Now that's a clear bra!
Agreed, I almost lost it when I came back to my car to see this and the milkshake was baked in for probably 1-2 hours in the summer sun. My wife, who never understood why I needed the clear bra, finally said she was relieved I had it b/c the paint underneath was undamaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #55
Rockliff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Clear bra seems to be a "Catch 22" in my opinion. My M has it on the front and fender flares. The problem is when it gets nicked there is not way to repair it and it looks just as bad as a chip.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #56
S65V8
*_*
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockliff View Post
Clear bra seems to be a "Catch 22" in my opinion. My M has it on the front and fender flares. The problem is when it gets nicked there is not way to repair it and it looks just as bad as a chip.
I agree 100%, I was thinking about this as well. I know someone who recently put on a clear bra and it got scratched / marred in one area (protecting the paint underneath) and you can't buff it off or use some sort of wax to cover it up, it's there permanently unless you take it off.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #57
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Yes, I have several little white scars and no way to get them off.
      01-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #58
pro-tect mobile
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8

Thats why a self healing film is the way to go. Xpel Ultimate and Suntek both offer self healing films. Remember though, no film is bullet proof. And the point is to protect the paint. Its easier to replace a piece of film than to repsray and it will definitely protect the resale value of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #59
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

I'm actually getting my Xpel Ultimate put on my M3 this afternoon. I track mine so on the track it's a great investment to keep the front from getting sandblasted. If I didn't track then i'm not sure if i would spend the $$ to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #60
HighandDry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not the best picture to show the bra, but here's my 430 after the wheel company did a photoshoot of it. The whole front end is wrapped. There are no seams at all. All badges were removed and the film was tucked around and underneath the piece.

Also the Xpel is self healing, so any small marks disappear over time.

Nobody ever believes I have a bra on the car. It's that good.

Appreciate 0