BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Mike V8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 DCT

HRE R40

Very interested in these! If anyone has them your input would be greatly appreciated!
"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V8
Very interested in these! If anyone has them your input would be greatly appreciated!
What type of input are you seeking? A specific question would help.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
j2m
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [10.00]
The R40 is a badASS track wheel!

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I have a set of R40 and R43 wheels - awesome track AND street wheels!

Like others have already stated, do you have a specific question(s)?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #5
Mike V8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lol I didn't realize I didn't ask anything! So they are a good track wheel then. Any input on a optimal offset and size?
"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #6
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

HREs are top of mark..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V8 View Post
Lol I didn't realize I didn't ask anything! So they are a good track wheel then. Any input on a optimal offset and size?
They are only available in 18". I would recommend:

18 x 9.5 et20 with 275/35/18 or 265.35/18 tires in the front (this offset / size will require some negative camber) You can go to et27 if you don't plan to get coilovers. et20 will allow you to run KW clubsports without spacers.

18 x 10.5 et27 with 295/35/18 tires in the rear (this tire size is hard to find so most people end up using 285/35/18 tires in the rear)
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Mike V8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer
Quote:
They are only available in 18". I would recommend:

18 x 9.5 et20 with 275/35/18 or 265.35/18 tires in the front (this offset / size will require some negative camber) You can go to et27 if you don't plan to get coilovers. et20 will allow you to run KW clubsports without spacers.

18 x 10.5 et27 with 295/35/18 tires in the rear (this tire size is hard to find so most people end up using 285/35/18 tires in the rear)
Thanks a lot brother! Much appreciated! I was thinking about the club sports but I haven't made up my mind yet
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

The big question is, are they worth the HRE premium over the VOLK TE37SL or TE37, or even the APEX wheel.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
The big question is, are they worth the HRE premium over the VOLK TE37SL or TE37, or even the APEX wheel.
Definitely worth it over the Apex IMO (Apex is not in the same category as Volk or HRE). I think Volk makes great wheels and I have had a couple of sets prior to getting R43's. I would try to find them used as they all seem to trade around the same price. The only thing I ended up hating about the TE37SL's is that you can't use a center cap. Seeing my rusty hubs got a little old. That aspect would not matter to me for track-only use. You need to buy TE37's (not SL's) f you want center caps, and that pushes the price close to HRE. The nice thing about HRE is that you get to choose your size, offset, and color plus they are made in the USA. I have had great experiences with HRE. They will repair a wheel for $150 (fresh powder coat in any of their standard colors). You can't do that with Volk. You will have to find a shop to match their color which will never be replicated perfectly.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 02-13-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Zzhou
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 SSII ZCP DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus
IMO HRE looks better( not saying te37sl looks bad I love them too). One plus side for volk te37sl is lighter than HRE I believe, according to wheels weight thread. I would pick HRE if they cost close to volk,which is not the case here.

AA Green Filter/AA Pulley/AA catless X-pipes/AA signature exhaust/AA TUNE/TMS studs/Project Kics R40/R888/VOLK ZE40/ST60,ST40 BBK/MCS 2WAY NR/Vorsteiner GTS5 Bumper/APR GT250/APR SPLITTER
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
My R40's are 18x9.5et23 and 18x10et25 with 265/285 PSS tires. I'm currently using JRZ RS1's with 2.25" ID springs (main and helper) and have zero clearance issues. Also, used this wheel setup with Moton SS2 and the max tire width, without a front spacer, was 255.

My R43's are 18x9.5et22 and 18x10et22 with 265/285 PSC tires. No suspension rubbing issues.

No issues with clearing my Performance Friction BBK (372/371 mm rotors). Also, clear Brembo 380 mm BBK.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #13
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

Alright so stupid question...what the hell does it look like? Can someone throw up some pictures?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raucky2000 View Post
Alright so stupid question...what the hell does it look like? Can someone throw up some pictures?

02-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
Raucky2000
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SGM E90 M3 dct

Yeah, that's a good looking wheel for sure. Thx for the pics^
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
slicer
Major General
Rep

INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #17
Malek@MRF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3, E46 M3, G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Definitely worth it over the Apex IMO (Apex is not in the same category as Volk or HRE). I think Volk makes great wheels and I have had a couple of sets prior to getting R43's. I would try to find them used as they all seem to trade around the same price. The only thing I ended up hating about the TE37SL's is that you can't use a center cap. Seeing my rusty hubs got a little old. That aspect would not matter to me for track-only use. You need to buy TE37's (not SL's) f you want center caps, and that pushes the price close to HRE. The nice thing about HRE is that you get to choose your size, offset, and color plus they are made in the USA. I have had great experiences with HRE. They will repair a wheel for $150 (fresh powder coat in any of their standard colors). You can't do that with Volk. You will have to find a shop to match their color which will never be replicated perfectly.
Funny thing is, TE37's are better wheels than TE37SL's are and the SL's don't utilize caps. I have noticed a lot of guys are sometimes confused with the nomenclature of the SL wheel thinking it means "Super Light". It's great you pointed out that the forged version of the TE37 (non SL) is in the HRE price range.

Like you, I prefer HRE over the Volk wheels, especially on the M3.

See you soon Brett.

Malek
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #18
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzhou View Post
IMO HRE looks better( not saying te37sl looks bad I love them too). One plus side for volk te37sl is lighter than HRE I believe, according to wheels weight thread. I would pick HRE if they cost close to volk,which is not the case here.
You guys realize it's a track wheel and most track guys don't care about looks nearly as much as the typical owner???
I'd also like to hear why the HRE or even VOLK wheel is a superior track wheel? I know it's not forged, but it's about 20 lbs for M3 fitment, JWL/VIA certified and about half the cost. Not to mention, I haven't seen one destroyed yet.

As for looks, I'd say the EC7 is a better looking wheel than the HRE, IMO.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 02-14-2013 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep

You seem to be taking this to heart. Are you connected to Apex in some way?

Quote:
You guys realize it's a track wheel and most track guys don't care about looks nearly as much as the typical owner???
Your point is? The OP didn't say he was necessarily going to use the wheels for the track. If he claimed that they were going to be a track-only wheel I may have adjusted my response slightly but not much. Taking looks out of the equation, it's hard to refute that HRE and Volk make a higher quality wheel than Apex. Apex is not trying to compete directly with those brands. They are making a low cost wheel, cast aluminum, made in ???. I have had all three brands and the finish and build quality are superior on HRE and Volk.

Quote:
I'd also like to hear why the HRE or even VOLK wheel is a superior track wheel? I know it's not forged, but it's about 20 lbs for M3 fitment, JWL/VIA certified and about half the cost. Not to mention, I haven't seen one destroyed yet.

As for looks, I'd say the EC7 is a better looking wheel than the HRE, IMO.
Forged, proven history, great customer service, higher quality materials and finishes. BTW - Many people would argue that Volk is superior to HRE considering their history and forging technology. As I mentioned in my post, HRE will repair a wheel for a fair price. Even if you don't care about looks, you may want to repair a wheel if it is scratched on the track (HRE won't repair bends). I have had cheap wheels and expensive wheels. I have universally had better results when purchasing higher quality products. That being said, I might consider giving Apex another try for a track-only wheel. I'm not saying they are bad wheels, but I am saying that they are not in the same quality category as HRE and Volk.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

You're WAY TOO DEFENSIVE. No where did I attack anyone.
I just want to know why you say this wheel is better than that wheel.
If a person asks about a track wheel in a size that's optimal for track use on this car, I'm going to assume they're going to use them at the track. VOLK has been able to cross the boundary between track wheel and bling wheel, but HRE isn't there yet, IMO. If someone's asking about an R40, they should be asking about it for track use. They have MUCH BETTER LOOKING wheels than the R40, IMO.

So, If I'm looking for a track wheel and want the best bang for the buck, then I'm going APEX or Enkei. If I want the best possible track wheel, I'm going TE37 or TE37SL, since you'd save $1,000. I just don't see where the R40's fall in the picture, unless you're a HUGE HRE fan. But the end, are they going to be that much better than the APEX or Enkei for track use???
If you say yes, in what way will they be better???

Again, I'm not attacking anyone. I just want someone to enlighten me.
You seem to be the one "taking it to heart." I don't care what wheel OP chooses.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #21
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You're WAY TOO DEFENSIVE. No where did I attack anyone.
I just want to know why you say this wheel is better than that wheel.
If a person asks about a track wheel in a size that's optimal for track use on this car, I'm going to assume they're going to use them at the track. VOLK has been able to cross the boundary between track wheel and bling wheel, but HRE isn't there yet, IMO. If someone's asking about an R40, they should be asking about it for track use. They have MUCH BETTER LOOKING wheels than the R40, IMO.

So, If I'm looking for a track wheel and want the best bang for the buck, then I'm going APEX or Enkei. If I want the best possible track wheel, I'm going TE37 or TE37SL, since you'd save $1,000. I just don't see where the R40's fall in the picture, unless you're a HUGE HRE fan. But the end, are they going to be that much better than the APEX or Enkei for track use???
If you say yes, in what way will they be better???

Again, I'm not attacking anyone. I just want someone to enlighten me.
You seem to be the one "taking it to heart." I don't care what wheel OP chooses.

Why HRE or Volk over Apex? Forged, proven history, great customer service, higher quality materials and finishes.

Why HRE over Volk? HRE allows you to customize the width, offset, and finish. The ability to choose your width and offset allows you to tailor the wheel to the tires that you want to use. Plus they offer the service of repairing the wheels if there is damage. Some people care about the styling of the wheel; even if it is for the track (and like HRE's style over the other options). Some people want an 18" wheel on the street with BBK clearance. The R40 fits the bill. Some people want to buy something made in america. If you don't see value in any of those things then they are not the best option for you.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 02-15-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Bascially, it's personal opinion, which is fine.
Just because a wheel is forged, does not mean it's a stronger wheel or "better" wheel. A wheel passing testing standards is much more important to me.

Appreciate 0