BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

College part time job?

So I've decided its time to get a proper job again, now that I'm in college. I have spent the past two years running my own detailing business (full polishing w/high grade stuff, no turtle wax and armor all) and fully enjoyed it but there simply isn't a market for it in my town. I applied for a job as a detailer at a local independent supercar dealership but he's fully staffed already, so my dream college job isn't happening right now. I'd still like to get an automotive related part time job, or at least something not in the food industry. Any of you guys have suggestions of, or personal experience with some pretty good college jobs? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
worked at campus gym. sit there and relax... and just check out girls.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

If your into fitness and have the personality, I recommend personal training. Pay starts around $12 a hour if you work at a corpo gym, you can also earn commission and retention pay. There are some months that I average over $30 an hour, those are not regular however. You don't really have to deal with a manager either, which is nice. You can also set your own hours.

There is something to be said for telling people what to do all day, rather than being told what to do all day.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Fix cars. You have a high concentration of beaters and high-mileage cars on campus which need work and service but everyone is strapped for cash and time. As long as your hourly wage beats the dealership then you'll make some money and just have people reimburse you for parts as needed.

EDIT: This may not be what you're looking for if you just want to work a job with hours at a business but it is a way to get paid really well.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '16 M4 ZCP

Sharing from experience,

I got a part time bar tending job while at college. It was for a mobile bar tending company and we did events such as DJ Tiesto, Soccer captains dinner during the world cup etc. I honestly had so much fun I should have paid them to do it. It beats the hell out of being a waiter/bus boy. The pay is just as good and tips!

You might not find something that comes in line with your hobbies but try something that will suit your lifestyle and you can relate to.

I still remember the days of getting to the head offices at 8:30 for training which consisted of making and tasting cocktails. Pretty fun when you walk out at 11:00 and you have to take a power nap because there is no chance you can drive
      08-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
Sharing from experience,

I got a part time bar tending job while at college. It was for a mobile bar tending company and we did events such as DJ Tiesto, Soccer captains dinner during the world cup etc. I honestly had so much fun I should have paid them to do it. It beats the hell out of being a waiter/bus boy. The pay is just as good and tips!

You might not find something that comes in line with your hobbies but try something that will suit your lifestyle and you can relate to.

I still remember the days of getting to the head offices at 8:30 for training which consisted of making and tasting cocktails. Pretty fun when you walk out at 11:00 and you have to take a power nap because there is no chance you can drive
That would be a great job, but I'm only 18 and in a dry county. Thanks for all the suggestions though guys, I'll look into them! Keep them coming
Appreciate 0