BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

View Poll Results: Pick the Option that applies to you:
I Have a Radar detector and I have gotten 0 tickets 21 36.21%
I Have a Radar detector and I have gotten 1 tickets 5 8.62%
I Have a Radar detector and I have gotten 2+ tickets 3 5.17%
I Have a Radar detector + Laser Jammer and I have gotten 0 tickets 6 10.34%
I Have a Radar detector + Laser Jammer and I have gotten 1 tickets 0 0%
I Have a Radar detector + Laser Jammer and I have gotten 2+ tickets 0 0%
I Have a Laser Jammer and I have gotten 0 tickets 0 0%
I Have a Laser Jammer and I have gotten 1 tickets 0 0%
I Have a Laser Jammer and I have gotten 2+ tickets 0 0%
I have no protection and I have gotten 0 tickets 15 25.86%
I have no protection and I have gotten 1 tickets 5 8.62%
I have no protection and I have gotten 2+ tickets 3 5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

08-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Everyone: Lets see how effective Radar detectors/Laser Jammers acctually are.

This poll should show exactly how effective radar detectors are alone and when combined with laser jammers, and vice versa. I will also make another in the M3post forum and combine the results in about a week or something.

Poll Rules:
1. Keep it to a time span of 6 months
2. Be honest please
3. don't vote if you don't speed!!!

Here is the E90post thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...90#post5685190

Don't post in it if you normally post on M3post.com... It would just mess up the results.. Thanks!

Last edited by Koroush; 08-12-2009 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

don't forget the radar detector is just a tool to help avoid getting a ticket. It doesn't necessarily save you, and it also doesn't mean you were speeding in the vicinity of cops. This poll is sort of misleading as it doesn't take into account driver behavior which is the number one thing in avoiding speeding tickets.
      08-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
don't forget the radar detector is just a tool to help avoid getting a ticket. It doesn't necessarily save you, and it also doesn't mean you were speeding in the vicinity of cops. This poll is sort of misleading as it doesn't take into account driver behavior which is the number one thing in avoiding speeding tickets.
Well of course nobody is going to go faster when their detector goes off making all kinds of noise and pointing arrows all over the place.

9 times out of 10 some guy with his detector going off will slow down. Thats driver behavior for ya.
      08-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #4
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
+100000

So true, driver behaviour and the situation really depends in each case!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

I have a Velentine. It went off, I slowed down the car, when the cop saw me I was in the fast lane and the car in the slow lane was passing me and had no radar detection. When he saw the cop he slowed down hard. The cop thought I was the one speeding which I was WAYYYYYY earlier. But since the other car looked to be going slower, and was in the slow lane. I got the ticket. Fought it in court and won.

So I guess in a way it isn't a ticket
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
Canada
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP AY/SS 6MT

My Valentine1 picked up a KA Band maybe half a kilometer away before I came around a bend on a country road. When I'm on a backroad in the middle of the country... I keep a pretty good pace *ahem*

I've also had my Laser Interceptor go off a few times but I don't normally speed too excessively within city limits. It could have been my LI that saved me from a minor ticket or the cop just letting me off and looking for bigger fish.
      08-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Exclamation

Another BIG misconception with radar detector systems is that you won't get a ticket. The 2 I got were NOT via a radar but with the undercover cop pacing me.

I tried to fight both & lost both because the police are claiming that pacing is a trained form of estimating speed...which I feel is BS!
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
my911fixxx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post
Another BIG misconception with radar detector systems is that you won't get a ticket. The 2 I got were NOT via a radar but with the undercover cop pacing me.

I tried to fight both & lost both because the police are claiming that pacing is a trained form of estimating speed...which I feel is BS!
Total BS
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2008 View Post

It is total BS - however.... they get away with it... which is total crap!
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - SOLD
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

It's Crap and BS, yes everybody knows. They just invent new ways to measure speed to leech $$ off of drivers.

Why do they use so much of their resources to catch speeders? Because it makes money. So many cops sit around doing nothing with their laser guns and radars when they could be fighting much more serious issues like drugs and gangs.

speeding only causes 1000 deaths a year. Compared to bigger issues... this is NOTHING.

It's all about the revenue so they invent stupid "speed kills" campaigns to scare housewives and idiots into supporting them.
      08-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #11
mrtm2008
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
It's Crap and BS, yes everybody knows. They just invent new ways to measure speed to leech $$ off of drivers.

Why do they use so much of their resources to catch speeders? Because it makes money. So many cops sit around doing nothing with their laser guns and radars when they could be fighting much more serious issues like drugs and gangs.

speeding only causes 1000 deaths a year. Compared to bigger issues... this is NOTHING.

It's all about the revenue so they invent stupid "speed kills" campaigns to scare housewives and idiots into supporting them.
Completely agree! This happened both in CA (before I moved) & here in FL!

Oh & forgot to mention I have the V1 in all my cars...it has helped but again, like formentioned, doesn't always mean you won't get any tickets.
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hahaha..

You guys will love this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...54#post5692454

08-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post

Karoush,

You could not be more wrong, according to all scientific studies of the subject such as the one in the link below.

http://www.medicineonline.com/news/1...mits-Rise.html

Law enforcement must serve as some sort of effective deterent or it becomes a total zoo on the highways. Obviously, law enforcement can't stop all speeding, but it is important for people to think there is some reasonable chance of getting busted for speeding. In those areas where enforcement is lax, it gets downright scary out there.

You have to make an example of some to affect the behavior of the majority. And, oh yes, take your speeding to the track.
      08-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Karoush,

You could not be more wrong,
+1 I replied in the other thread you posted a link too!
      08-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #15
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

I've never gotten a ticket with my radar. I got one in my other car because I was too lazy to move my radar from my M3 to my IS..ahhh
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I can't always depend on my radar to protect me......I just know that the moment I start to relax, I'll get a ticket. Radars help, but cops always have that extra edge to surprise you all of a sudden.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:52 PM   #17
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

I meant to mention before, I think radar detectors are great because they generate enough alarms (both real and false) to slow down people who use them. Moreover, people who buy them are the ones who need to slow down the most on public streets. Thus, they serve to enhance safety.
      08-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
JW
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne Red M3 Sedan

I have a Valentine 1, which saved me from Laser last week, when it checked the speed of two cars ahead of me.

Granted, If I were one of those cars, I would have gotten nailed, but in this case, I was able to slow down in time.
2008 M3 Sedan: Melbourne Red, black leather, carbon leather, 6 speed manual, enhanced premium sound, technology package, premium package, IPOD adaptor, moonroof, 19" wheels, Sat Radio, cold weather package

Appreciate 0