BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M sport

Akrapovic exhaust with ESS akra tune

Quick question / opinions

Toying with the idea of getting the akra evolution setup.

Would i be better off sticking with the ESS akrapovic tune if i went down the evo route?

Or go down the Direct Flash route they have or another tune completely?

Oppinions?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Blackhawk View Post
Quick question / opinions

Toying with the idea of getting the akra evolution setup.

Would i be better off sticking with the ESS akrapovic tune if i went down the evo route?

Or go down the Direct Flash route they have or another tune completely?

Oppinions?
Directflash is the delivery device for our software that allows the end user to program his / her own vehicle without removing and shipping the ECU. The Akrapovic specific software can be purchased with or without the Directflash OBD tool. PM me if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
I can tell you the ESS Akra tune is very good and delivers on their promises, this is coming from someone who does not like modding a car, too many hassles and compromises usually.

It just about does away with the low rpm dip and is smoother across the entire rpm range, the car is more enjoyable to drive day to day, not to mention the additional power, which is real.

I didn't enjoy the Akra Evo w/o the tune, except for the sound.

And if you have OBD II inspections, it will pass.

Recap:
No SES
OBD II pass
More power
No high starting idle
More drivability
      11-23-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
ALUFELGEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I would go with ESS. We have their Direct Flash software in our M3 and the power increase was more than we expected, customer service was outstanding. You can't go wrong with ESS.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
And if you have OBD II inspections, it will pass.

Recap:
No SES
OBD II pass
More power
No high starting idle
More drivability
You'll have to clarify this statement. In what way do you think it would pass inspections?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
540gone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 3.5, '14 640 GC

^ +1 Please explain how a system (like the Akra Evo) without anything in the primary cat position can pass the O2 sensor readiness test. It is my understanding that tunes just turn off the secondary O2 sensors to eliminate the CEL light. However, having the secondary O2 sensors "turned off" then causes the readiness test to fail.

I hope I am wrong, but have not yet found any solution except HFCs in the primary cat position (which is not Akra) w/ secondary O2 sensor extenders in place, and then it seems iffy.

Please advise if there is a new solution I don't know about, as I have a brand new Akra HFC / x-pipe in my garage that I have been hesitant to install since I'm pretty sure there is no way it will pass the O2 sensor readiness test.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Slightly off topic.

But can someone answer this. The differences between the....

Akrapovic ESS tune and ESS's direct flash software?

Does the Akra ess tune still remove cold start cycles and top speed governor for instance like the DF does?

By my understanding the direct flash is the module obviously and that you send your ECU file to ess and they send it back and upload it.

How does the akrapovic ess tune work? In the same way? So how are they different if you get what i mean?

Sorry just a little confused
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Slightly off topic.

Does the Akra ess tune still remove cold start cycles and top speed governor for instance like the DF does?

By my understanding the direct flash is the module obviously and that you send your ECU file to ess and they send it back and upload it.

How does the akrapovic ess tune work? In the same way? So how are they different if you get what i mean?

I think you may just be confusing yourself. The "akra" is just a tune for the Akra setup. ESS makes the flash software. Normally you can specify what you want done in your tune.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I think you may just be confusing yourself. The "akra" is just a tune for the Akra setup. ESS makes the flash software. Normally you can specify what you want done in your tune.
Thanks bud

Does the akra tune still remove the top sped governor/cold start process etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Thanks bud

Does the akra tune still remove the top sped governor/cold start process etc?
Im sure all the the Ess tunes removes the top speed de-limiter but not 100% sure.i also got my top speed de-limiter removed by the dealer when my car was stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Slightly off topic.

Akrapovic specific tune is simply one of the options available via Directflash just like our standard catless tune or our tune desingned for the stock exhaust system. Removal of top speed limit is standard on all of our tunes and cold start comes standard on our Akra and catless tunes. If you have any other questions you can always PM me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Akrapovic specific tune is simply one of the options available via Directflash just like our standard catless tune or our tune desingned for the stock exhaust system. Removal of top speed limit is standard on all of our tunes and cold start comes standard on our Akra and catless tunes. If you have any other questions you can always PM me.
Thanks for clearing that up Roman
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540gone View Post
^ +1 Please explain how a system (like the Akra Evo) without anything in the primary cat position can pass the O2 sensor readiness test. It is my understanding that tunes just turn off the secondary O2 sensors to eliminate the CEL light. However, having the secondary O2 sensors "turned off" then causes the readiness test to fail.

I hope I am wrong, but have not yet found any solution except HFCs in the primary cat position (which is not Akra) w/ secondary O2 sensor extenders in place, and then it seems iffy.

Please advise if there is a new solution I don't know about, as I have a brand new Akra HFC / x-pipe in my garage that I have been hesitant to install since I'm pretty sure there is no way it will pass the O2 sensor readiness test.
I don't know how it's done. I do have an OBD II report that shows all the monitors as status "pass" or "ready". It was inspected last week.
      11-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
edu09
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2022 GT3, 2022 SF90

Garage List
2022 FERRARI SF90  [10.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2022 PORSCHE 992 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Slightly off topic.

The akra tune option will only help you with the CEL delete, cold start cycle and the rpm dip you will experience with the akra evo system but will not help you with the top speed governor, you will have to get the ESS DF tune to get this and other options you may want, I first just ordered the DF Tune by itself and had it with my BMW Performance exhaust, when I bought the akra evo I ordered the akra option and it really makes the exhaust system much smoother and enjoyable, I highly recommend you to get the whole package, it is a DIY item, pretty easy to install it, you dont have to send your ECU anywhere
      11-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
OC ///M
Dr. Octagon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moonstone e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS View Post
Roman:

Have there been any updates to the Akra Evo tune in the last year or so? My car (with the Akra Evo tune) cold start cycles, but i was also one of the early adopters.

2013 E92 M3 Individual
Sold: 2011 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Into a Wall: 2008 E92 M3 SSII | Sold: 2007 E92 335i JB
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #16
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
I don't know about everyone else, but I LOVE the cold start.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #17
E93Blackhawk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edu09 View Post
The akra tune option will only help you with the CEL delete, cold start cycle and the rpm dip you will experience with the akra evo system but will not help you with the top speed governor, you will have to get the ESS DF tune to get this and other options you may want, I first just ordered the DF Tune by itself and had it with my BMW Performance exhaust, when I bought the akra evo I ordered the akra option and it really makes the exhaust system much smoother and enjoyable, I highly recommend you to get the whole package, it is a DIY item, pretty easy to install it, you dont have to send your ECU anywhere
Thanks bud.

Im not all that concerned about the top speed governor as I drive in the city, so i can never really crack more than 150mph :roll eyes:

Did you install the akra evo by yourself?

Im planning to get an ESS SC anyway soon so that their tune with the kit will remove the TPG anyway.

But ill defiantly start off with the akra evo and their tune for it as they are great together clearly.

How do you install the akra tune? As you don't need the DF device i take it.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
edu09
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2022 GT3, 2022 SF90

Garage List
2022 FERRARI SF90  [10.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2022 PORSCHE 992 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks bud.

Im not all that concerned about the top speed governor as I drive in the city, so i can never really crack more than 150mph :roll eyes:

Did you install the akra evo by yourself?

Im planning to get an ESS SC anyway soon so that their tune with the kit will remove the TPG anyway.

But ill defiantly start off with the akra evo and their tune for it as they are great together clearly.

The DF installation was easy and straight forward, ESS sent me the DF unit, I transfer my ECU files to the DF and then sent the files back to ESS via email, they sent me the modified files I requested via email, I downloaded them to my ECU through the DF device and the process was over, the first transfer from the ECU to the DF was like 30 minutes long, after that it was 10 minutes each time
Since I ordered the akra option after I bought the DF, ESS just sent me a file to download it to my DF and further to the ECU, I dont know how it works when you just purchase the akra option, I guess they will send you a DF with that option only and you will do the same process as with the full options
      11-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
sales@ESSTuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC ///M View Post
Roman:

Have there been any updates to the Akra Evo tune in the last year or so? My car (with the Akra Evo tune) cold start cycles, but i was also one of the early adopters.
No changes other than cold start option.

Quote:

Our akra tune installs the same as our other E9X tunes thru Directflash, there is no difference other than the file we send you.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #20
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I don't know about everyone else, but I LOVE the cold start.
I have to agree with you ... I have CS enabled and it doesn't bother me ... only my neighbors
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #21
Alekshop
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 l E46 M3 l GT4 l 991 RS

E93Blackhawk we can offer you a package deal on both Akra Evo system and ESS DirectFlash tune of your choice.

Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #22
AJ@ESS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Just a quick reminder, all ESS software comes with the top speed governor disabled unless otherwise requested. Cold start cycle removal and raised RPM limit can also be had with any version of the tune at no extra charge.
Appreciate 0