BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

07-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #1
wws341234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i/E90/MT/jet black

FLex your power!

Well our house just went through a power outtage 2 days ago, and my frd's house has been out in Rosemead from yesterday until now. With the heat wave ,the power crisis (I think we're still in stage I, correct me if i'm wrong), and rolling blackouts forcast in the near future. I've decided to do something about it and bought an evaporative fan (since my a/c sucks anyways). These things are like fans w/ cold water, so it can supposed to lower your room temperature from 12 to 15 degrees F. with a power consumption equivalent to a light bulb. Hopefully this would help.
http://www.adobeair.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
i had a blackout yesterday too. what i dont get is why people are actually using that much energy. i mean when i look at myself... sure my computer is on alot of the day... and the lights are on only in the room im in it... and the AC is actually never on... we use fans... or i use 1 fan... and yet my house gets blacked out and im forced to sleep in the hot air... actually i end up sleeping on the ground cause i dont want my bed to be sweaty... god damn it... my neighbor had electricity too... i was hella pissed off...

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wws341234
Well our house just went through a power outtage 2 days ago, and my frd's house has been out in Rosemead from yesterday until now. With the heat wave ,the power crisis (I think we're still in stage I, correct me if i'm wrong), and rolling blackouts forcast in the near future. I've decided to do something about it and bought an evaporative fan (since my a/c sucks anyways). These things are like fans w/ cold water, so it can supposed to lower your room temperature from 12 to 15 degrees F. with a power consumption equivalent to a light bulb. Hopefully this would help.
http://www.adobeair.com/
I see that you're in L.A. Where did you pick one of these things up? Everywhere I've gone, fans of any kind have been sold out. I go to Home Depot, Target, Lowes, etc... nothing. Luckily, there hasn't been any blackouts in my area (I'm in the south bay), but I was looking for some alternatives to a portable AC unit. Also, how much is a portable evaporative unit? I've got 4 fans going in my apt at once sometimes. It really is ridiculous.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphall
I see that you're in L.A. Where did you pick one of these things up? Everywhere I've gone, fans of any kind have been sold out. I go to Home Depot, Target, Lowes, etc... nothing. Luckily, there hasn't been any blackouts in my area (I'm in the south bay), but I was looking for some alternatives to a portable AC unit. Also, how much is a portable evaporative unit? I've got 4 fans going in my apt at once sometimes. It really is ridiculous.
lol wtf i've had a blackout.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
wws341234
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I goto an Asian place in Monterey Park. It's called Superco Home Theater&ap.
221 N. Atlantic Blvd. Monterey Park, CA 91754. They had one on sale for 50 bucks but it was sold out (and alittle too small). I got one for 100 bucks and it's pretty big. (Bigger than the one i saw at home depot), but if you can you should go for the Adobe Air brand, i heard that's the best brand out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Ya with all these hurricanes in florida and the poweroutages that occur from them, usually anywhere from 3-12 days, my parents invested in our 4th car, a whole house generator. It literally cost as much as a car and basically is a car, its a thing of beauty.
      07-26-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
aphall
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i rec'd 2/17/06

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBob
We call these things "Swamp Coolers". They only work well in areas where the humidity is very low (less than 30%). If your power is out, they aren't going to work at all.
Yeah, that was my only concern... because lately, it has been unsually humid here in L.A., over 50%. I'm not sure if this swamp cooler is going to be doing more harm than good. I heard just buying bags of ice and putting them in a cooler behind a big box fan will do practically the same thing. That's ghetto style.

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

I wonder if other places in the midwest and mideast are attempting to conserve power because I know all of those folks out there are burning much more electricity than us Californians - it's pathetic how California is always in an energy crisis (barring all political debacles).

People in Texas and Arizona run their A/C ALL DAY for crying out loud. Otherwise their dogs living at home would die. I don't even have A/C in La Jolla and they are STILL doing a rolling blackout in my area? Absolutely pathetic.
      07-26-2006, 01:50 PM   #9
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

If we had no AC in Houston I would die
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Hahahah - I visited my woman's cousin in Galveston TX last summer and IT WAS HOT! I can stand high heat as I've done in Vegas many times but man, the humidity was the deal-breaker.

I found it amazing how the A/C was on 24/7 in the car, the house, and at work. That's unheard of here in CA! The heartbreaker is that their energy bills are barely higher than mines at home!!! :
      07-26-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
wws341234
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter399
If we had no AC in Houston I would die
Last Saturday my coworker's sister's dog died because of the heat. They left the dog in the backyard metal chained all day under the sun, and they left the water bowl just outside the dog's reach. when they got back late afternoon the dog just laid there dehydrated, so they hoes her down and fed her water. Surprisingly they left her there and left the house again!! When they got back at night the dog passed away at 2 years old. Some freakin' irresponsible people....and all my coworker had to say was how they lost a thousand dollars.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2006, 06:43 AM   #12
325 Baller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
wow thats disgusting, i hope those people go to jail for animal cruelty
      07-27-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I seriously can not stand hearing stories like that.

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2006, 12:32 PM   #14
Squawks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325 Baller
wow thats disgusting, i hope those people go to jail for animal cruelty
I agree - report their asses through the ASPCA. They should be severely fined and at best, be severely chastised because of this. Maybe even jailed. I would especially feel pissed if they get another dog only to subject him/her to the same thing all over again. They have to learn a lesson besides "damn, we just lost a thousand bucks." Absolutely pathetic.
      07-27-2006, 12:55 PM   #15
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Quote:
Yeah, that was my only concern... because lately, it has been unsually humid here in L.A., over 50%. I'm not sure if this swamp cooler is going to be doing more harm than good. I heard just buying bags of ice and putting them in a cooler behind a big box fan will do practically the same thing. That's ghetto style.

If you're looking for Superco, they have one in Cerritos near the Cerritos mall. I don't think Home depot/Lowe's have those eva fan
      07-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #16
ScBlacksunshine
YUGO is my dream car
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Freaking 88% humdity today...brings back memory of vacationing in Thailand last year...
      07-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #17
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

as for the fan with water, i heard they don't do much and just make the room more humid.

as for the people who let their dog die, that story is so sickening.