BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

02-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #199
davedave
Captain
Rep
Drives: Godzilla

now i understand why the Really big wheel companys dont' pump out # of designs as ADV.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #200
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sold E39 M5

What is TUV?

Over the years HRE has received numerous questions regarding TUV certification. What is it? Why is it important? What is required? Other companies are starting to claim they have TUV certification and we have received numerous questions as to whether these claims are true or false. HRE can’t determine whether others are properly going through the legitimate process of getting TUV approval or just falsely claiming TUV approval to improve their image. What we can do is clarify what is required of TUV and what you should be looking for from a company that claims to have TUV approval.

1) WHAT IS TUV? - In the case of wheels, TUV is a European auditing and certification body that ensures wheels manufactured for sale in Germany, Switzerland and Austria meet international (ECE Regulations), EC (European Community) directives, and German Motor Traffic Agency (KBA) road traffic legislation.

2) HOW DOES TUV WORK? - There are 3 major aspects to receiving TUV certification.
a) Manufacturer Certification (Certification of the wheel manufacturer’s quality management system) - If you aren’t an actual manufacturer you can’t be a TUV certified manufacturer. If you’re not a real manufacturer and your supplier isn’t a TUV certified manufacturer you cannot have your wheels TUV approved. This requires that the actual manufacturing facility (in HRE’s case this is our production facility at our headquarters in Vista, CA) passes an audit every 3 years by TUV authorities from Europe. The facility must ensure the manufacture of its wheels meet the standards set by the authorities above in point 1. This is very similar to an ISO 9001 audit and designed to ensure consistent quality of manufacture. TUV wants to ensure that wheels sent to TUV for te sting are not “ringers” and that all wheels manufactured at the approved facility meet the same standards. HRE’s quality management system was originally certified in 2008 by Germany and recertified in 2011 by Austria (which is applicable for Germany).

b) WHEEL TESTING CERTIFICATES (Certification of wheels as conforming to geometric standards and having passed structural fatigue and impact requirements for specific vehicle and load rating requirements) - Once a manufacturer’s facility is certified they are then able to send wheels to Europe to pass TUV geometric tolerance analysis and testing for fatigue and impact. This is not a generic style-based test, but vehicle-based with each style being tested with the proper widths and offsets and load rating for the appropriate vehicle targets. This is a very time consuming and costly endeavor for any manufacturer to TUV certify their entire wheel offering, particularly a brand like HRE that makes custom fitments and offers dozens of styles for any particular vehicle. Given this fact, HRE does not certify every style and fitment, however we do have multiple styles in several fitments tested, approved and certified for sale in Germany, Switzerland and Austria. Regardless of certification, ALL HRE wheels are designed to pass TUV structural specifications (with varying load ratings depending on vehicle targets) and are sent for certification when the demand for them in Europe meets a minimum threshold.

c) VEHICLE OWNER CERTIFICATION (Certificates ensuring wheels installed on an owner’s vehicle are TUV certified for that vehicle) - This is a certificate that the owner of the vehicle receives from TUV authorities showing his wheels are TUV certified so he can legally register his vehicle and pass annual inspections in Germany. The wheel manufacturer does not supply this document.

3) IS TUV FOR WHEELS ONLY? - TUV does not only cover wheels. It covers everything from toys to wheels to appliances so companies may hold TUV certificates that do not in any way allow them to legally sell wheels in Germany, Switzerland or Austria. By the same token HRE is only able to sell wheels (not toys) and only those wheels tested in Europe having passed the appropriate tests. None of this is possible without FIRST receiving the manufacturer certification. More importantly, simply by having a wheel pass a TUV test does NOT mean you are a TUV certified manufacturer. You must have a manufacturing facility to certify and that facility must pass the audit.

4) WHY DOESN'T HRE PUBLISH TUV CERTIFICATIONS? - We’ve been asked for a long time to publish TUV certificates. For many reasons HRE does not publish internal specifications and documents, but we will deviate from that decision to help clarify the confusion and show you our manufacturer certificates from 2008 and 2011 and we will show you an example of a wheel testing certificate; in this case the latest wheels sent to TUV for testing, a P43 in 20x9.5 ET42, PCD 5/114.3. The tests required 3 wheels to be tested for cornering fatigue, radial fatigue and impact at 750kg, a much higher level than the original design load rating. All passed. These tests certify the P43 style in that specific width, offset and PCD for that specific load rating.

5) HOW DO I KNOW IF A COMPANY IS REALLY TUV APPROVED? - TUV obviously wants to ensure others aren’t making false claims about TUV approval. For this reason they have a simple website system to check a manufacturer’s TUV Registration ID number. HRE’s current TUV ID number is 20102112006509. This number can be confirmed as genuine by following the link below to the TUV website and entering the registration number or simply typing in HRE. Ask a manufacturer for their registration ID number and website link. They should be proud to give it to you.

HRE TUV ID check: CLICK HERE
TÜV Austria - TÜV AUSTRIA - System Certificates
Search for ID 20102112006509

TUV RHEINLAND CERTIFICATE CHECK, TÜV Rheinland Group - TUVdotCOM Service

If there are any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

HRE Factory tour
Here are some great video tours of the HRE facility and how HRE makes wheel

eGarage - HRE Wheels
How HRE Forged Wheels Are Made - The Octane Report - YouTube
HRE Wheels - "PLUS" level production package example - YouTube
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #201
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
awesome post Lon! HRE is so win... maybe one day i'll get a set.
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #202
8_is_enough
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 GT3, 18 Macan GTS, 22 X540i

oh shit. game over son

HRE FTW
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #203
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Lon wins.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #204
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos@MORR View Post
Very good to see manufacturers moving on to certifying their wheels. Nowadays, anybody can have a "wheel company", but very few companies have a true wheel companies. We keep all engineering and quality control in-house. Every wheels is tested and certified. HRE has been a benchmark to the industry for a long time and makes me proud the work of Gene did is still showing progress. This is what an actual TUV certificate looks like. Unless a wheel company can provide one like it, they cannot be considered TUV certified. Props to HRE for this great achievement.

Our manufacturing facilities are ISO 9001:2000 certified. Our wheels are leaving for TUV testing this month and we should have our first TUV certification very soon will post the certificate and KBA number as soon as it's completed.
Gene has had no affiliation with HRE since 1997. The current wheels, technology, processes, facility, culture, and definitely the TUV certs had nothing to do with Gene. Sorry
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #205
ADV.1 Matt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: N/A

Guys we'll post all of our certifications and numbers as soon as we get it back from TUV. The papers were just signed a week and a half ago when our German dealer was in town and I know they have submitted everything to TUV. We're just waiting on the official documents to be sent back in the mail and we'll post everything up for you to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #206
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos@MORR View Post
Very good to see manufacturers moving on to certifying their wheels. Nowadays, anybody can have a "wheel company", but very few companies have a true wheel companies. We keep all engineering and quality control in-house. Every wheels is tested and certified. HRE has been a benchmark to the industry for a long time and makes me proud the work of Gene did is still showing progress. This is what an actual TUV certificate looks like. Unless a wheel company can provide one like it, they cannot be considered TUV certified. Props to HRE for this great achievement.

Our manufacturing facilities are ISO 9001:2000 certified. Our wheels are leaving for TUV testing this month and we should have our first TUV certification very soon will post the certificate and KBA number as soon as it's completed.
Are your multi-piece wheels tested and certified as well?
      03-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #207
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

What bothers me the most is the misnomer of labeling 20" wheels as "track" spec/function/edition blah blah blah...when they are not even certified nor are they suitable for track use/integrity. It's such a misleading label to use and is ground for misrepresentation from an advertising/marketing standpoint.
      03-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #208
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Guys we'll post all of our certifications and numbers as soon as we get it back from TUV. The papers were just signed a week and a half ago when our German dealer was in town and I know they have submitted everything to TUV. We're just waiting on the official documents to be sent back in the mail and we'll post everything up for you to see.
So where are they @? Priority mail takes five days - coming by boat?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #209
E90///M3`
Major General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [7.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
So where are they @? Priority mail takes five days - coming by boat?
:Videos: EnvyRidesTV, GPR 1, GPR 2, GPR 3, ///MFEST
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #210
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

i just read through this whole thread. I never intend on buying any aftermarket wheels, but I read it anyway. How nice.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #211
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

MORR,

What certifications does your VS8.2 currently carry? Please post it here.

I find your naming convention to be misleading. "Monoforged" is your trade mark line name that suggests that the VS8.2 is a forged wheel but I have yet to see MORR confirm nor deny it when certain members asked. I was also told by a few of your dealers that the VS8.2 are not forged and are form flow cast.

Please clearify for the public.

Alan
      03-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #212
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

MORR posted a TUV certification somewhere in this thread.

I'm also curious if their wheels are really forged, but as long as their TUV and light, that's all that really matters. APEX wheels are VIA/JWL and not forged either, but both are light, strong and certified by a quality organization. That's all that really matters.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #213
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

From the last post by Morr they are not TuV certified yet.

Alan
      03-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #214
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep

Best way to verify TUV certification is to do search on TUV websites. If you can't find them listed, they aren't TUV certified.

HRE TUV ID check: CLICK HERE
TÜV Austria - TÜV AUSTRIA - System Certificates
Search for ID 20102112006509

TUV RHEINLAND CERTIFICATE CHECK, TÜV Rheinland Group - TUVdotCOM Service

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #215
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

amazing post from the guys at HRE... very informative indeed!

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #216
11' AW M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' ZCP E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
MORR,

What certifications does your VS8.2 currently carry? Please post it here.

I find your naming convention to be misleading. "Monoforged" is your trade mark line name that suggests that the VS8.2 is a forged wheel but I have yet to see MORR confirm nor deny it when certain members asked. I was also told by a few of your dealers that the VS8.2 are not forged and are form flow cast.

Please clearify for the public.

Alan
I have asked this as well in previous threads. The second time, rather than answering, he presented questions such as "if its not forged t6 6061 then you wouldn't be able to achieve the brushed finish"... well that is untrue as there are Forgestar's that are brushed. I also had a dealer tell me they are not forged, but rather "spunforged" as his original name suggested before changing back to monoforged. He then sent me a message asking which vendor told me the wheels aren't forged. He never directly answered when I asked him to clarify if there is any difference from his wheels and HRE monoblocks which start from a forged billet and are then "spun" to achieve the barrel shape.

There was also a ton of false information in that thread, including that the wheels are TUV certified and VIA/JWL, which they are neither. However, they have been tested at STL, and the results have been posted, which is more than enough IMO. I just didn't like the false information being spread regarding the certifications that the wheels DON'T have, along with the questions regarding whether the wheels are truly forged or not. Carlos seems to like to call other vendors out, but doesn't like to be called out himself.

Now the questions that I do have for Carlos is whether his multi-piece line has ANY testing. There has been nothing posted, and he has ignored my multiple questions. I don't care about certifications, but at the very least he should have then independently tested like he did for his VS8... heck, this is what he has called all these other companies out for but has yet to provide any evidence of him doing it himself!
      03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #217
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I read that thread which is why I am asking Carlos to clarify here.

I don't want a response filled with fancy names and mumbo jumbo etc.. Seems like lots of companies come up with a name with the word "forged" in it to try to sell wheels implying they are when they really aren't. Lots of people fall for this type of advertisement but not everyone does.

1) post actual certifications for the wheels that have them

2) Are the wheels forged or cast? Should be a simple answer.

Not trying to stir the pot but I am very interested in the 20" VS8.2 for my next car and like to get all the facts before I commit spending 4k for wheels. Especially if the wheels are not forged. Living in NYC pothole capital, I need a strong wheel.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 03-18-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #218
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
amazing post from the guys at HRE... very informative indeed!
Thanks. All we can do is help to educate people. There's a lot of marketing hype and there's fact. It's up to you as the consumer to do your own research.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #219
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

nice job Lon

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 09:15 PM   #220
HRE_Mickey
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
nice job Lon
Might be heading out to Taiwan in next couple months, need to check out your M3

Miss Taiwan!
Appreciate 0