BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

BPM

02-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Post Coolege Transfer Question

when transfering colleges, which one of these does the college stress the most? your final GPA upon transfer or the grade and GPA earned from each class?

im asking this b/c i f'ed up major in x2 classes this semester. i should really live in the dorm at campus cause i think if you live by yourself at your own house your more likely to cut ;D. i didn't cut everday but enough to get me down to a C+ or maybe a B- if the teacher gives it to me as the final grade was a 79.something. i got a 96 on the final too. SHIT!!! if i just showed up to class plus my 96 final i woulda got an A.

thanks for help once again.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #2
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Believe it or not, spelling college correctly is the most important.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
when transfering colleges, which one of these does the college stress the most? your final GPA upon transfer or the grade and GPA earned from each class?

im asking this b/c i f'ed up major in x2 classes this semester. i should really live in the dorm at campus cause i think if you live by yourself at your own house your more likely to cut ;D. i didn't cut everday but enough to get me down to a C+ or maybe a B- if the teacher gives it to me as the final grade was a 79.something. i got a 96 on the final too. SHIT!!! if i just showed up to class plus my 96 final i woulda got an A.

thanks for help once again.
Depends on the college and your major. GPA for each class is usually checked for requisite courses.

'07 Monaco Blue 335i ordered 9/4 built 9/21 shipped 9/28 arrived 10/12 at dealership 10/18 vroom 10/19 christened 11/3...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #4
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

You need to be more specific, what college are you going to and what schools are you applying to? And yes regardless of what bullshit you hear from schools, GPA's are the most important part of your application...well that and grammar on your essays. I worked in the admissions office as a phone operator, but I got some good insight into the system so PM me if you have any specific questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
Believe it or not, spelling college correctly is the most important.
I dunno if it's THE most important thing... But it's up there.
      02-28-2008, 12:55 PM   #6
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
??? Your GPA matters the most during the transfer stage... I don't really understand what you mean by final GPA and GPA earned from each class, but surely the classes you took a the begining of the year before/after you have applied, then if they think you have what it takes, then they will ask for your final transcript/ accept you.. Also matters what major you are seeking... I for one had to create another portfolio for architecture which was almost more important than my GPA.. GL.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #7
Main33vnt
YOUNG MONEY!
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I, 2008 Range Sport

Well here it is... I'm in the same boat as you... its all ABOUT YOUR GPA! AND WHAT COURSES ARE GOING FOR YOUR MAJOR! obviously YOUR GPA IS IMPORTANT but for ex. Business.... to go into Business and to go to a high UC or Private you need to pass with the grades they want... I Just applied to USC and I'm finishing up my pre reqs but I'm retaking a class just so I wont have a C show, because its Econ, and they want you to get the B in that course...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
??? Your GPA matters the most during the transfer stage... I don't really understand what you mean by final GPA and GPA earned from each class, but surely the classes you took a the begining of the year before/after you have applied, then if they think you have what it takes, then they will ask for your final transcript/ accept you.. Also matters what major you are seeking... I for one had to create another portfolio for architecture which was almost more important than my GPA.. GL.
im currently doing business major at NYU. i was thinking finishing a year at NYU and transfering to state Bing for 3 more. then transfer back to NYU for MBA. i don't see a point of me spending alot of $$ for private when i can go to a great state school like Bing at a much cheaper price as i am a NY resident. i can sell the apartment i have and get another in the future but i think it is a good switch.

so when im transfering would Bing look at my total GPA earned while in NYU or emphasize more on each specific class's GPA?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #9
jdink
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i 6MT

my advice? be honest when you apply to a new college. speak with someone in person and tell them that you were livng of campus and it wasnt the best atmosphere for you. let them know that you want to change colleges to have a fresh start so you can re-commit yourself to your education ect and so on... beleive me, it will go a long ways.
      02-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
im currently doing business major at NYU. i was thinking finishing a year at NYU and transfering to state Bing for 3 more. then transfer back to NYU for MBA. i don't see a point of me spending alot of $$ for private when i can go to a great state school like Bing at a much cheaper price as i am a NY resident. i can sell the apartment i have and get another in the future but i think it is a good switch.

so when im transfering would Bing look at my total GPA earned while in NYU or emphasize more on each specific class's GPA?
Stern is a great school man, cant get any better for business my gf goes there too . I've never heard of Bing, but I'm sure it will be the overall.. You know that NYU has like a special 4 yr program for business??
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #11
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Coolege Transfer Question

he said coolege. coolege is fun and edukatonal. i lov coolege.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Taittinger
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i Cpe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
he said coolege. coolege is fun and edukatonal. i lov coolege.
I thought he was a president?

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taittinger View Post
I thought he was a president?
maybe the president of some secret club.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunotheboxer View Post
maybe the president of some secret club.
wow. aren't u creative
      02-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Okay you need to get your head straight. If your currently at NYU the worst mistake you can make is transferring to a school just because its cheaper. Would you buy a pinto or a BMW? Its the same fore recruiters and your career. The teachers are NYU are of MUCH better caliber and so are the students. If you seriously think you are just saving money, you are losing some great networking, experiences, clubs, frats, etc. especially fro NYU. If you are in such a rush to finish your degree, look into the 2+2 programs that many ivy's are now offering. You apply Junior yr of college and are guaranteed, mentored and brought straight into the MBA program from undergrad....

Please don't transfer to some CC or state school to save some money, the debt you are racking up will pay itself off if you come out successful from Stern...

Side notes for schools that are competitve...just make sure you meet all the reqs, and program reqs for specific majors, if you don't its fine, just have a decent GPA. You can always transfer internally from within the school to your desired major, but don't tell them that's your stratgey.

USC median transfer GPA from friends is about 3.5 to 4.0, although that's just from what I heard. It also sucks because they tell their transfers a month later than all the other schools.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #16
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznshrek88 View Post
Okay you need to get your head straight. If your currently at NYU the worst mistake you can make is transferring to a school just because its cheaper. Would you buy a pinto or a BMW? Its the same fore recruiters and your career. The teachers are NYU are of MUCH better caliber and so are the students. If you seriously think you are just saving money, you are losing some great networking, experiences, clubs, frats, etc. especially fro NYU. If you are in such a rush to finish your degree, look into the 2+2 programs that many ivy's are now offering. You apply Junior yr of college and are guaranteed, mentored and brought straight into the MBA program from undergrad....

Please don't transfer to some CC or state school to save some money, the debt you are racking up will pay itself off if you come out successful from Stern...

Side notes for schools that are competitve...just make sure you meet all the reqs, and program reqs for specific majors, if you don't its fine, just have a decent GPA. You can always transfer internally from within the school to your desired major, but don't tell them that's your stratgey.

USC median transfer GPA from friends is about 3.5 to 4.0, although that's just from what I heard. It also sucks because they tell their transfers a month later than all the other schools.
+1... lol get financial aid if you need it. since u drive a bmw, you probably dont.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #17
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
wow. aren't u creative

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
sinnet112
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4

Garage List
NYU can't even compare to Binghamton, and I mean that favorably for NYU. I'd vote to stay. The college you graduate from does make a difference, at the very least in the initial stages when you're searching for graduate schools or finding a job.

Z4 sdrive30i | Deep Sea Blue | Ivory White Nappa Extended Leather | ZSP
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnet112 View Post
NYU can't even compare to Binghamton, and I mean that favorably for NYU. I'd vote to stay. The college you graduate from does make a difference, at the very least in the initial stages when you're searching for graduate schools or finding a job.
state university of binghampton is a great school. one of the top if not the best state school in NY along with others.

two newbie questions i must ask you guys.

1. when transfering do you still need to send them sat scores? i got a 1880 which was my best out of two (other being 1730). transfering is college GPA dependent no?

2. looking at todays high standards an MBA from NYU was amazing back in the day. now its just like eh. standards have increased so much and stern is def out of my reach right now lol. i will try to apply junior year and see what happens though for sure and of course will keep you guys posted

i love e90post, can be used for virtually anything
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep

1) It depends on the school, if your sophomore or less, then yes, junior transfers are usually a no
2) You never know with B-school, GMAT scores can help along with a good essay

I understand your stance on your state school, but understand CA has some great state schools too, but travel out of state and you're in a boat without a paddle... I mean have you heard of Pomona, Chapman, Cal Poly since your from New York? Or do you think ppl have heard of Stern and NYU more?

Could you PLEASE edit the title of this thread?
Appreciate 0