BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

03-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Out of storage maintenance

Pulling my car out of winter storage next week and was wondering what maintenance I should do. I have to replace my tires, so that's the first on the list. I'm also going to do an oil change as well. Should I change the tranny and diff oil as well? Is there anything else that should be done? Car has 18000km on it right now.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Assuming you stabilized your fuel, kept battery charged, and never started the car to just 'charge the battery' without driving it, you don't have to do anything to your car other than normal maintenance. On low mileage cars it includes at least one oil change annually. I like to change tranny and diff oils every 2 years as a minimum too.

By the way, if it's time to change the oil, it's better to do it BEFORE storing the car, since acids can form inside your engine if acid neutralizing agents are already depleted from the additive package (more likely when car is driven mostly on short trips, where oil never gets to full operating temperature, and can't evaporate all condensation). Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

The fuel was not stabilized and the battery was put on a tender. It has not been started since November 1st of last year.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The fuel was not stabilized
Good about not starting engine, but BAD about not stabilizing fuel. Do it next time. If fuel breaks down or separates, you're looking at an expensive repair; not worth the risk for $3 worth of fuel stabilizer . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

And take note of the suggestion to change oil beforehand. I wouldn't bother now, unless you're already at an interval to need it. It didn't degrade while sitting for 5 months.
      03-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
MMMorish
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

at 18k kms, i am pretty sure you dont need a tranny fluid change or a diff fluid change. not yet at least. i just changed both of these at 38k kms. and when the fluid came out, it looked almost like new.

anyway, nothing else you need to do. good that your battery was on a tender, thats all you need really.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0