BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #1
epbb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Ohlins Road and Track Suspension Installation Questions

Hey Everyone,

Happy New Year!

It's finally time for me to get a proper suspension system installed on my car. From all the research I have done so far (And Lalit's coercion...), it's looking like the Ohlins Road and Track gives the best combination of Daily Driving suspension / softness, and track responsiveness.

Now, before I pull the plug on this suspension system, I have some concerns that I was hoping all you uber suspension gurus can teach my newb a$$, particularly since I'm hoping to learn all about suspension setup by installing this myself.

As some of you may know, I have a sick set of Strasse Forged wheels on my car. They are 11" in the rear, running 305/25/20s, and 9" in the front, running 245/30/20s. I don't have the exact offsets, but I think they are +25 or +30. My primary concern, is rubbing when I lower the car using this suspension.

Now, here are my questions / concerns:
  1. Should I be concerned with inner clearance issues due to the springs not being linear (thin)?
  2. The springs are 60n/mm (342.6in/lb) in the front, and 120n/mm (685.2in/lb) in the rear. Since these springs aren't really stiff, will the dampening alone be enough to prevent me from rubbing?
  3. A friend told me that as part of lowering the rear, I will automatically get some negative camber by default. Am I going to have to create more camber manually (I have no idea how to do this, but was told it can be done by adjusting the arms)?
  4. Will I need camber plates in the front?
  5. Am I going to need spring compressors to do this install?
  6. On a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is this install? I have done some hefty installs before on my E46, changing plugs, thermostat, water pump, etc., so I am somewhat mechanically inclined as long as I have instructions to follow.

I have attached some pics below to try and show how much my tires stick out already. Thanks in advance for all your input!!
Attached Images

Last edited by epbb; 01-15-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
stevens
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

need to know your wheel offsets mate
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #3
epbb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
need to know your wheel offsets mate
Good call. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact figures, but have the ballpark. Rob, Chris or Andrew would have to chime in to provide the exact offsets. I added the estimates to the original post above.
      01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Hey Everyone,

Happy New Year!

It's finally time for me to get a proper suspension system installed on my car. From all the research I have done so far (And Lalit's coercion...), it's looking like the Ohlins Road and Track gives the best combination of Daily Driving suspension / softness, and track responsiveness.

Now, before I pull the plug on this suspension system, I have some concerns that I was hoping all you uber suspension gurus can teach my newb a$$, particularly since I'm hoping to learn all about suspension setup by installing this myself.

As some of you may know, I have a sick set of Strasse Forged wheels on my car. They are 11" in the rear, running 305/25/20s, and 9" in the front, running 245/30/20s. I don't have the exact offsets, but I think they are +25 or +30. My primary concern, is rubbing when I lower the car using this suspension.

Now, here are my questions / concerns:
  1. Should I be concerned with inner clearance issues due to the springs not being linear (thin)?
  2. The springs are 60n/mm (342.6in/lb) in the front, and 120n/mm (685.2in/lb) in the rear. Since these springs aren't really stiff, will the dampening alone be enough to prevent me from rubbing?
  3. A friend told me that as part of lowering the rear, I will automatically get some negative camber by default. Am I going to have to create more camber manually (I have no idea how to do this, but was told it can be done by adjusting the arms)?
  4. Will I need camber plates in the front?
  5. Am I going to need spring compressors to do this install?
  6. On a scale of 1 - 10, how difficult is this install? I have done some hefty installs before on my E46, changing plugs, thermostat, water pump, etc., so I am somewhat mechanically inclined as long as I have instructions to follow.

I have attached some pics below to try and show how much my tires stick out already. Thanks in advance for all your input!!
1) Fronts will be fine. As for the rears, we would need to know the offset but I am almost positive you will be fine. We have fit 18x11 et20 in the rear with 315s and cleared the springs on ASTs.
2) Dampening really doesn't have anything to do with rubbing. That is solely a clearance issue.
3) Leave camber adjustment up to the alignment shop. You will automatically add negative camber when you lower the car. This won't be a considerable enough amount to cause excess tire wear, in my opinion.
4) Unless you track the car or are serious about handling then they are not necessary.
5) No
6) It is not difficult per say, but from the fact you are asking these questions regarding camber, clearance, etc, I would suggest you have a shop professionally install them.

-Mike
Appreciate 0