BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-21-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Convertible

Second Track Day with my E93: Thoughts and Notes

Yesterday I did my second track day at the Homestead Motor Speedway with Performance Driving Group. I caught the bug bad my first time and could not wait to get back out (even though it took me over 2 years for a number of reasons ). I was driving in the beginner group again (my first day was also at Homestead) to take advantage of another day of instruction and see where I improved from my first time. I was happy with the day, and I was given the green light to drive on my own if I wanted, although I may continue with an instructor if one is available since it is not an extra cost with this group and I don't think you can get enough instruction.

A big thank you to all the contributors to this section; Hopefully, going to the track will be a 1-2x a year habit for me and your input has helped me feel more comfortable in my preparations and in knowing my car. Since the sources were in a number of locations and I tend to be a bottom line type guy anyway, I wanted to summarily list a number of impressions from the day related to the car, my specific mods and just general preparation; hopefully this will help the next beginner or create a conversation topic.

1. Overall I made a huge jump in my abilities from the 1st to the 2nd time. I was much more mentally prepared for the day and it made a difference.
2. A checklist was helpful to make sure I was prepared and I recommend everyone prepare a list to keep track of everything you need to do for the day. A portable air compressor, air gauge and torque wrench was extremely helpful. Bring a fan in summer and a cooler with ice and water; lots and lots of water!
3. I measured the Tire pressure in my Vdredestein Ultrac Sessentas cold when I got to the track and 34 psi was perfect to give them room to heat up; the pressure remained acceptable for each run. I checked the torque on lugnuts on each run to 88 and had no loose nuts.
4. Aluminum taped the wheel weights; worked well and great suggestion by a prior post.
5. Tie the power steering fluid with a piece of t-shirt. First time out I had fluid all over the engine bay; this time no issues. Thanks for the tip!
6. Since I want to make this a more regular thing, I bought a helmet and a Simpson R3 Head and Neck Device. Had no issues with it and felt more secure knowing my neck was better protected. The R3 is the only device you can use without a harness. I also bought a seat belt lock; funny how I felt much more planted with the lock in place.
7. Bought track insurance through Lockton Motorsports. Gave me peace of mind in case of a track incident and I would do it again.
8. The E93 is more than capable and felt great the whole time. The car can only run in beginner/intermediate groups at Homestead Speedway, is heavy and you feel the weight at the track, but the car is very planted and is at home being driven hard. As a plus, I drove home with the top down! I will ignore the E93 hate and continue to have a great time with it on the track.
9. The full Evolve Valvetronic System open is awesome! I posted a passby video in the Engine subsection going down the first straight and the sound is just pure honey.
10. The Vdred tires were just okay on the track. The last time I tracked the car I had PS2's and although the PS2's slid some I think the Vdreds slid more, not significantly more, but enough to notice the difference at certain spots in the track. Tires are definitely the one area where the extra weight makes a significant difference, I had to anticipate sliding around a corner, almost like driving a boat. Tires are my new weak link; the next time I go to the track I will hopefully be on track dedicated tires, to not kill my street tires and to prevent a lot of the sliding.
11. Upgraded Brakes are an absolute must with the E93 and I love my Stoptech 380/355 BBK. The first time I went to the track I had SS lines, street/track pads and upgraded fluid but I still had significant fade at the end of the sessions. This time I had the BBK with Performance Friction Race Pads and Castrol SRF. Night and Day! Because of the added weight of the car I wanted the most braking I could get and my setup did not disappoint. The bite is incredible and with the added weight of the car I had good braking balance the whole time (with one exception noted below). Also, a reason I went with this kit was the ease of swapping brake pads for the track and even for me as a complete novice it was a breeze. You literally just remove the wheels, pop off the caliper cover, switch the pads and put the cover back. Did not have issues with the pistons in switching the pads on and off.
12. I don't know if the coupe/sedan guys get this, and it may just be due to me as a beginning driver or the car carrying more weight, but my brakes performed best by braking straight and not try to trail brake. If I limited my braking to straight line braking my brakes were solid the entire time; even with my setup, if I tried to trail it into the turn they would get some fading near the end of the session. At this point I think it is most likely just me being a beginner using bad technique.
13. When you drive the car right you can hear it thanking you. When you hit a turn correctly the car responds with approval. Conversely, when you make a mistake the car will tell you by bad weight changes, slow acceleration and other sounds that just are not right. I had the same sense when I went surfing; when you hit the wave right, you can feel it instantly.
14. I have huge respect for anyone that races. With just me on the track things happen so quickly; I can't imagine the time and skill it takes to drive right and fast while competitively trying to win a race against other drivers.
15. (Remembered one). Homestead Speedway is very clean, so rather than tape the front I heavy waxed the front and areas before and after the wheels. Clean up was a breeze.

I will try to post pictures when I can; my photos are too big at the moment and are not uploading. Cheers!

AA Pulley, Air Filter and Tune - Full Evolve Valvetronic Exhaust - 380/355 Stoptech BBK, BBS FI's and other fun stuff.

Last edited by MiamiE93Vert; 07-21-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Checklist. What checklist? I forget something every time and get to listen to my wife ask me about a checklist. With enough friends at the track you will find that you can borrow/lend just about anything.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #3
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Checklist. What checklist? I forget something every time and get to listen to my wife ask me about a checklist. With enough friends at the track you will find that you can borrow/lend just about anything.
Lol, I hear you, but I am usually the friend in the group that has what the others forgot.

AA Pulley, Air Filter and Tune - Full Evolve Valvetronic Exhaust - 380/355 Stoptech BBK, BBS FI's and other fun stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

Glad you made your second event. Hopefully the bug will continue to grow on you. The forum as definitely been helpful to myself as well, way even before I became a member. Have fun and stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

most important: 2nd event and no video?! we need vids of tires screeching and engine/exhaust noises.

i guess my comments would be:

34psi cold seems pretty high. i run 34 hot which is 24 cold..might be because different tires though but if your tires are wearing fine, its all good. I'm lazy to swap my wheels back to zcp for weeks after the event and my tires look flat when parked - hope i didn't create any flat spots

seat belt lock is not needed...i use OC3's method of...scoot and lean your seat way back, pull the belt down and tug it until it locks, then buckle up while still giving tension to keep it locked......keep the tension and put your seat back to your driving position and let go of belt, it should be tighter than a virgin

that r3 looks nice but near $1k for something you plan to use 1-2 times a year...i guess its nice to have nice toys though so can't blame you (besides the safety part).

Last edited by pkimM3r; 07-22-2014 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
2nd event and no video?!
I wanted to do the whole Iphone/Henry's Lap Timer/GPS/Wireless OBD II setup but ran out of funds after getting the helmet and R3 harness. I chose safety over the videos for now, but plan on getting this setup for the next time.

I do have a video of passing by the pits on the first straight though, thanks to Askjeeves from this forum who was there in his 350Z:

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Good time out there Louis! Hope to see you at the track again in less than 2 years.
      07-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
MiamiE93Vert
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeeves View Post
Good time out there Louis! Hope to see you at the track again in less than 2 years.
You know it! Although I think the next time I see you and your 350Z you will be competition ready.

Appreciate 0