BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

REV limiter for E92 M3///?//ignition system

I am trying to find a company that makes a REV limiter for the S65 Engine.
or a universal one that could be wired to work with it.
Does any one have one or know of a brand/company who has them or can make them?

What type of ingition system does the S65 have?inductive type or CD type?
Searching hasn't produced any results.

I called:
MSD and they don't make them.

I know of Pertronix(yet to get through to them)

and Bee-R from Japan.(not sure if they will work with the S65)email sent.

I drift my car and I need to make sure I don't over rev (safely) and I would also enjoy the backfiring and flames effects.

Yes the E92 M3 has a factory rev limiter but they still damage the engine aftermarket rev limiters don't.
      01-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #2
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Have you looked into coding a valet mode to keep the car under a certain RPM threshold?
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Have you looked into coding a valet mode to keep the car under a certain RPM threshold?
I think Valet mode just kills power similar to the factory rev limiter. aftermarket rev limiters cut the spark, or every other spark, allowing gas to keep flowing, which causes the backfires and such. it's safer on the engine.

Edit, I believe tuners can do that, but not exactly what I want for my setup.
      01-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
I am trying to find a company that makes a REV limiter for the S65 Engine.
or a universal one that could be wired to work with it.
Does any one have one or know of a brand/company who has them or can make them?

What type of ingition system does the S65 have?inductive type or CD type?
Searching hasn't produced any results.

I called:
MSD and they don't make them.

I know of Pertronix(yet to get through to them)

and Bee-R from Japan.(not sure if they will work with the S65)email sent.

I drift my car and I need to make sure I don't over rev (safely) and I would also enjoy the backfiring and flames effects.

Yes the E92 M3 has a factory rev limiter but they still damage the engine aftermarket rev limiters don't.
Hi Gabe, care to elaborate why the oem/fuel cut rev limiter damage the engine? (except for additional wear due to high rev which is kind of part of the play)

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #5
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hi Gabe, care to elaborate why the oem/fuel cut rev limiter damage the engine? (except for additional wear due to high rev which is kind of part of the play)

Thanks
Here is a copy and paste from the Japanese company (Bee-R) site:

This is Bee*R’s popular two-stage ignition cutting rev-limiter. It is used to prevent damage arising from over-revving your engine. Part of the reason for its popularity is the large flames and loud bangs it produces from the exhaust when active!

The way in which it works differs from the factory rev limiter in that it is an ignition cut, as opposed to a fuel cut. The reason for this is because if an engine (particularly turbocharged) regularly hits a fuel-cut rev limit (such as in high performance driving, or particularly drifting) engine damage can arise due to the lean condition produced when the original ECU shuts off the fuel pump. The BEE*R rev-limiter allows fuel to pass into the engine still, limiting engine speed by disabling the ignition signal. The Bee*R rev limiter is fully adjustable in 500rpm increments, for safety reasons allowing only a lower rev-limit to be configured than standard. If you have spent a lot of money tuning your engine, or are running at high RPM’s for extended periods of time, it could be recommended to run a lower rev-limit to prolong engine life. Both Formula 1 and JGTC cars use ignition cutting rev limiters, so it is a fully race proven concept.

I am not a super mechanically inclined person, but It's just what my research came up with. and Ialso assumed it was just from revvign the engine to it's limit all the time would cause more wear then regular driving, but Bee-r explains it a bit different.
      01-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Hmm...sounds more like a sell to me but might be wrong. Remember the engine is designed to stand 8400rpm which obviously not is good for any longer period of time but again part of the play.
Wondered whether the actual fuel cut was bad for the engine but doesn't seem to be explained.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Hmm...sounds more like a sell to me but might be wrong. Remember the engine is designed to stand 8400rpm which obviously not is good for any longer period of time but again part of the play.
Wondered whether the actual fuel cut was bad for the engine but doesn't seem to be explained.

Thanks
I hit up mike benvo to see if he can chime in, he knows this engine very well.
      01-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

Mike just got back to me and said that while tunning they do have full control over fuel and ignition cuts at redline so theoretically placing the fuel cut above the ignition cuts may produce this result -
This is good news, since i plan on getting my SC custom tuned soon.
      01-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
gsxrliterbikz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93, E38, E53

Garage List
2008 Bmw m3  [0.00]
2001 BMW x5  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740  [0.00]
I fail to see how ignition cutoff is better than fuel. If oem creates a lean condition and presumably causing damage, than an ignition cutoff would create a rich condition. That can't be any better for the engine than a lean condition, can it? Not to mention dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust (for those that still have cats).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Shredicus
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrliterbikz View Post
I fail to see how ignition cutoff is better than fuel. If oem creates a lean condition and presumably causing damage, than an ignition cutoff would create a rich condition. That can't be any better for the engine than a lean condition, can it? Not to mention dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust (for those that still have cats).
Quote:
I think it's safe to assume he's running catless and a lean condition will actually help him achieve the flames/backfires similar to an antilag system.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:38 PM   #11
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Cutting ignition is better than cutting fuel for rev limiting. If you're cutting ignition, you're just dumping fuel. It's wasteful and creates that flames and popping along with sooting up/damaging emissions devices. That's really about all that's happening.

Cutting the fuel, but allowing the ignition to still fire creates a lot of heat and lean conditions/knock. Do this a lot like a drifter that's banging up against the limiter and the engine is more prone to failure.

I'm guessing emissions and consumption are the lead factors on why OEM's chose fuel cut over the ignition cut.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 02:40 PM   #12
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

shouldn't both fuel and ignition be just cut off at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #13
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
shouldn't both fuel and ignition be just cut off at the same time?
That would mean the engine is off.

IIRC the fuel dump isn't dumping all the fuel. It's just dumping enough so the car can't build up any more revs.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
Beemdog
Woof!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP LeMans Blue

Garage List
Some rev limiters do a soft limit by phasing out active cylinders gradually rather than suddenly cutting all cylinders at once, which can be somewhat undesirable in terms of safety and driveability. Cutting spark avoids a lean condition at max rpm, also a bit unfriendly!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #15
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep

thanks for the continuous input guys!
I cant wait to have Mike set it up on my tune next month or so.