BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

EXXEL Distributions

12-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
TomElektro
To drift is not a crime
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 (E92)

Coming to Texas -> questions

Hey guys,

I´m coming to Texas next april for two weeks with my girlfriend. Landing in Houston at the 5th of April and going straight to Dallas for the NASCAR race that sunday.

Wonder if you guys have any "must do´s" for the 2 week vacation time. Like a Cars & Coffee meeting or anythings else either car related or not. E.g. we´re thinking of visiting a Ranch for 2-3 days, we like water sports, shopping of course (as my girlfriend is with me...). We´re 25/36 if that matters.

Would be great to get some of your locals hints.

Last edited by TomElektro; 12-26-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
quiksi
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
welcome!

shopping - Houston Galleria http://www.simon.com/mall/the-galleria

coffee & cars Houston/Dallas is January 4 so unfortunately you would miss those events... there is one in the Austin area on the 12th if you're out that way (if you visit a Ranch it would likely be in Central Texas which would be near Austin http://austin.carsandcoffee.info/ )

it's probably a bit too cold for water sports in January over here, though

2011 E90 M3 6mt AW/Speed Cloth - ZCP, Moonroof, non-iDrive - PCD 12/9/10
Painted reflectors, matte black grills/gills, Deansbimmer Belly Pan, DEI Alarm, Homelink/compass retrofit, Passport MAX2 Hardwire, GP Thunder 8500K, modmy3 LED interior, Dinan Mufflers, HRE P40 19" Satin Charcoal, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
TomElektro
To drift is not a crime
Germany
Rep

Sorry i meant April the fifth!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Cars& Coffee Dallas is huge, but it's the first Saturday of the month (April 5). The best roads in Texas are west and south of Austin (Texas Hill Country - Fredericksburg is a great place to stay - Lots of B&B's). There's also some great scenery. The Big Bend area is both varied and spectacular, but it's a long drive to get out there. Be sure to have some Texas Barbeque while you are here. Ask a local (where ever you happen to be) to recommend a place. It's hard to go wrong that way. My experience with the Texas Gulf coast is only around Galveston (close to Houston). It's hot, humid, and mosquito infested.

You'll discover that Texas is huge. The drive from Houston to TMS is about 270 miles. You can drive 5 mph over the posted limit and the cops will mostly never look at you. At above 7 mph over you're on shaky ground. Most enforcement use Ka radar but there is some laser. I don't believe there are any speed radar cameras in Texas. Many towns have red light cameras. Be careful in the little towns. Traffic enforcement is often more aggressive.

Be prepared for lots of bugs and humidity (especially around Houston). In early April you can have great weather, but you can also have severe weather (possibly including 2 inches/hr rain, frequent cloud to ground lightning, high winds, large hail, tornadoes). The weather can change pretty quickly. You'll want to pay attention to the weather forecasts.
      12-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
TomElektro
To drift is not a crime
Germany
Rep

Wow that sounds like its going to be an adventurous trip. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #6
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Tom...If i may guess....and would love to hear it...it's finally your honeymoon !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
TomElektro
To drift is not a crime
Germany
Rep

No my friend. Not yet... not yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomElektro View Post
No my friend. Not yet... not yet.
Damn...damn.. Tom ! but the day that you will...i hope that i'm invited my friend

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #9
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

Houston and Dallas are not tourist cities. NASA is the only thing of real interest. The Galleria is great if you want your gf to spend a ton of your money. I have never been to Coffee and Cars. I have never been to a ranch either. There is nothing between Houston and Dallas worth stopping at. The best area of Texas is between San Antonio and Austin. Go to Gruene, Dripping Springs, Wimberly, Canyon Lake, & Fredricksburg. There are other pretty areas north west of Austin like Marble Falls and Enchanted Rock. There are tons of wineries in that area. It is a beautiful area. It is about 5 hours from Dallas and 3 from Houston.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
TomElektro
To drift is not a crime
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
Houston and Dallas are not tourist cities. NASA is the only thing of real interest. The Galleria is great if you want your gf to spend a ton of your money. I have never been to Coffee and Cars. I have never been to a ranch either. There is nothing between Houston and Dallas worth stopping at. The best area of Texas is between San Antonio and Austin. Go to Gruene, Dripping Springs, Wimberly, Canyon Lake, & Fredricksburg. There are other pretty areas north west of Austin like Marble Falls and Enchanted Rock. There are tons of wineries in that area. It is a beautiful area. It is about 5 hours from Dallas and 3 from Houston.
That´s very helpful. Thanks mate!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #11
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Things to do and see in the Houston area:
http://www.kemahboardwalk.com
http://houstonmuseumdistrict.org
http://www.moodygardens.com (Galveston)
http://downtownhouston.org/district/theater
http://spacecenter.org/visitor-information

Unique:
http://www.theoriginalchocolatebar.com/

Dining:
http://pappasitos.com/location/66
http://www.empirecafe.com
http://www.gloriasrestaurants.com/lo...lorias-houston
http://www.tilas.com

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hit Franklin BBQ in Austin. It is considered to be one of the best in the country. Though prepare to wait in line. I think it is only open for lunch. The famous place in Dripping Springs sucks. I don't know anything about Dallas. In Houston I would hit El Tiempo. Tex-Mex is Houston's claim to fame. Nothing can come close. I would also look at going to Oasis in Austin. It sits on a cliff overlooking Lake Travis. Hit Gruene Hall and the Gristmill in Gruene,Tx. l would skip Houston and Dallas. Spend your time in the hill country around Austin. Feel free to ask me more specific things about the areas. Also, if the gf wants a shopping spree. The biggest outlet mall in Texas is about 20min south of Austin on the way to Gruene.

Here is a list of the best places to eat in Houston.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/ente...ts-4789859.php
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
Quote:
Hit Franklin BBQ in Austin. It is considered to be one of the best in the country. Though prepare to wait in line. I think it is only open for lunch. The famous place in Dripping Springs sucks. I don't know anything about Dallas. In Houston I would hit El Tiempo. Tex-Mex is Houston's claim to fame. Nothing can come close. I would also look at going to Oasis in Austin. It sits on a cliff overlooking Lake Travis. Hit Gruene Hall and the Gristmill in Gruene,Tx. l would skip Houston and Dallas. Spend your time in the hill country around Austin. Feel free to ask me more specific things about the areas. Also, if the gf wants a shopping spree. The biggest outlet mall in Texas is about 20min south of Austin on the way to Gruene.

Here is a list of the best places to eat in Houston.
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/ente...ts-4789859.php

Waitasecond...How can you write that you don't know anything about Dallas, and then recommend skipping it?

Agree that Austin/Hill Country will have great driving areas and scenery, but, there's plenty of things to see and do in Houston and Dallas, even though they are not "tourist" cities.

Dallas/Ft Worth area: Six Flags over Texas, museums in the downtown area, Ft Worth Stockyards (for a taste of "old Texas"), Galleria for up-scale shopping... and on and on.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Waitasecond...How can you write that you don't know anything about Dallas, and then recommend skipping it?

Agree that Austin/Hill Country will have great driving areas and scenery, but, there's plenty of things to see and do in Houston and Dallas, even though they are not "tourist" cities.

Dallas/Ft Worth area: Six Flags over Texas, museums in the downtown area, Ft Worth Stockyards (for a taste of "old Texas"), Galleria for up-scale shopping... and on and on.

- V

Because I am from Houston and we are taught from little children that Dallas sucks! I actually have friends that live there. There are a few things to do in Houston and Dallas, but there is much more in the hill country. I could list out all kinds of things to do in Houston, but none are that great. I think NASA would be worth seeing. Galveston is a dump. The Galleria is too expensive. Shop at the San Marcos outlet mall. Get some beef jerky in Centerville,Tx at Woody's smokehouse on the way to Dallas. See the Austin state capital building. Circuit of the Americas is also in Austin. The Austin and surrounding hill country are the best tourist areas in Texas. You can even hit San Antonio. See the river walk and Alamo, though I think they are incredibly boring.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #15
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Because I am from Houston and we are taught from little children that Dallas sucks! I actually have friends that live there. There are a few things to do in Houston and Dallas, but there is much more in the hill country. I could list out all kinds of things to do in Houston, but none are that great. I think NASA would be worth seeing. Galveston is a dump. The Galleria is too expensive. Shop at the San Marcos outlet mall. Get some beef jerky in Centerville,Tx at Woody's smokehouse on the way to Dallas. See the Austin state capital building. Circuit of the Americas is also in Austin. The Austin and surrounding hill country are the best tourist areas in Texas. You can even hit San Antonio. See the river walk and Alamo, though I think they are incredibly boring.
x2. Lots to do of a bunch of nothing in Dallas and Houston. Austin is scenic and has a lot of music etc, but even then still isn't going to blow your doors off with activities. You need a major city like Chicago for real Museums, Theater, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #16
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8k3 View Post
x2. Lots to do of a bunch of nothing in Dallas and Houston. Austin is scenic and has a lot of music etc, but even then still isn't going to blow your doors off with activities. You need a major city like Chicago for real Museums, Theater, etc.
Actually, our theater and museums can rival Chicago. I don't really look at those sort of things as tourist activities. I think you will get your moneys worth in the hill country. Get a little culture of Texas because Houston and Dallas are not really Texas.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
8k3
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Been to both and museum wise Houston was a let down. Yes Hill Country is nice (as in scenic but not sure what really it offers more than that)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #18
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Texas in general blows for tourism. I think it kind of sucks as a state. Without oil it would be worthless.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
rickyboycz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E70 X5 35D

Garage List
Quote:
Texas in general blows for tourism. I think it kind of sucks as a state. Without oil it would be worthless.
Agree with your first statement, not so much the rest. Houston definitely blows.

Overall many parts of Texas are some of the best areas in the country to raise a family, and prosper in your career. Mojo is right that it's not much touristy type stuff compared to other major cities.

However, maybe OP is a JFK conspiracy theorists for all we know. He can hit up the JFK Memorial Museum in Dallas. That could end up being the highlight of the trip.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #20
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboycz View Post
Agree with your first statement, not so much the rest. Houston definitely blows.

Overall many parts of Texas are some of the best areas in the country to raise a family, and prosper in your career. Mojo is right that it's not much touristy type stuff compared to other major cities.

However, maybe OP is a JFK conspiracy theorists for all we know. He can hit up the JFK Memorial Museum in Dallas. That could end up being the highlight of the trip.
Silly Dallas people.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #21
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
I disagree with you 100% and advise that you leave and not come back.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Good info in this thread.
Appreciate 0